Author Topic: Clothing (When do you wear it?)  (Read 13924 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Clothing (When do you wear it?)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 10:02:31 PM »
Worked cows but never cooked for anybody much but me or family.

Haven't been on a horse since '72 or a mule since '76.  Didn't like 'em when I had to ride 'em to earn a livin'...don't like 'em now.  Same thing with tractors, hay racks, and any truck over 1 ton.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 10:13:34 PM »
I know I must have shock some at the GAF Muster if they looked out and seen the cosie feedin' the fire at 2:30 in his red flannel nightshirt and brown wool night cap with the tassel.

And with it and the 5 quilts I was to warm at times even though it was in the 30's in an un-heated tent.

They are also nice in the summer after a shower to sit around the campfire in. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 10:57:26 PM »
 We have worn our clothing to weddings, dances, saddle club gatherings, church, and when we attend a shoot usually wear them to and from. I always look forward to convention, this is the time I can bring out the new fancy garments that I have worked on.
  When I solicite the shops in Ackley and surrounding area I always wear a fancy outfit. Not to mention we wear these clothes when we do reenactments with the Palmer Creek Players at a local fair.
  I have had lots of fun when folks ask why we are dressed the way we are. But this opens the door to tell them about NCOWS and invite them to attend a shoot.
Kayleen

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:32:29 PM »

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 07:35:42 AM »
Actually, I do sometimes wear my old-time clothing in public.  I wear my cowboy trousers all the time, they are much more comfortable than regular jeans.

And when I get the question about "Why are you dressed like that?"  I just say "I always dress like this."

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 10:30:24 AM »
Del: to return to your comment that if you wear your clothes once or twice a month, it jusn't doesn't look natural, I heartily agree. Worn and a little dirty is always better. After attending a Civil War muster, and impressed with the appearance of the troops - they all looked like they had been in the field for 30 days, I wrote a comment on the sass wire entitled "In Praise of Dirty Clothes". I was amazed at the response, I really got roasted by the whole crowd who basically said that they did not put all this effort into their clothing to look dirty and smell. Only two guys responded positively and they also emailed me, they were OCB and OT. That was my introduction to them, that was a few years back and I doubt they remember it. It was also one of the last times I have commented on the sass wire.

Concerned with how I look since I am guilty of wearing my stuff infrequently, I have done several things to avoid the recently store bought look. I avoid excessive cleaning and modern storage. I avoid cleaning any wool item (I'm amazed how many folks dry clean their duds) with the exception of getting it wet and then simply letting it dry on its own. So far I have never put any soap on them. Putting them out in the sun seems to kill most of the body odor issues. But I only infrequently wash anything wool. With shirts, linen, cotton, flannal whatever, I do the same. In the summer I throw them out in the sun to dry, in the winter I lay it out in the basement. I never hang my stuff up, but either fold it or role it up to store. Hats, I make a point of wearing in inclement weather, boots seldom get cleaned, spurs are never shined, and finally one of the best things I've found to put wear on anything is to simply ride in it, I don't know how but just being around horses I find to be hell on clothes including boots and hats. About two mounted shooting events and my stuff is seasoned!

I made a pair of brain tanned fringed pants for my persona as a scout, and was somewhat embarrassed this summer at the nationals because they looked so new which they were as I had finished them but a day before. Got home and thru them in the wash, took them out and rolled out the water and then set them outside, what a change, really looked used - especially the fringe. And then the coup de grace, I spent one ride with my mare, cleaned some stalls afterward, and now it looks as if I'm ready for a new pair of pants, perfect. The smell is a combination between smoked and horse, perfect.

I know my efforts aren't as honest as those who actually put wear on their duds, but it is the best I can do since I dare not wear them to work. I'd be interested in what other less than honest wear types do for their cloths. I thought everybody at the nationals really looked good.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 10:34:53 AM »
And 99% of the time you find out they ain't being rude but are curious.  I haunt some interesting places to get the items I need for cooking.  The fella that ground the coffee for the Turkish coffee ussually wears black leather and a nose ring.  Our disscussions on Turkish Coffee that day was interesting, didn't seem to bother anyone but the proper and prim suits drinking their foo foo coffee and readin' The Wall Street Journal.

The proper and prim ones are the most fun.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 10:57:16 AM »
Funny story regarding "well used clothing".

My daughter and I participated in a mounted shoot. Six stages on a hot day this summer. Finally left at about 5:00pm. There was the State championship sass shoot going on that same day just a few miles down the road so we thought we would stop and check out the vendors. Gave some thought to unloading the horses and riding thru the vendors area, but a horse knows when his work day is done so we didn't. Probably a good thing. We walked over there. Everyone was in their cowboy finest. As we walked around, and we had cowboy stuff on - maybe not as nice but at least it was "real", we could sense people looking at us. At this point we figured out we were dirty and smelly. But no one said a thing. Towards the end I walked into a tent where a guy was engraving firearms and I noticed he spoke with a texas or oklahoma drawl. He was answering questions and when done I finally stepped up to look at what he was doing as the others left. He gave me one of those stares as I said howdy, leaned over and gave an audible smell, smiled and said "mounted shooters are'nt you". And, we hit it off.

Nothing wrong with the SASS crowd they were polite, one even came up and asked us who we were, and invited us to their banquet. I'm sure he was relieved when we excused ourselves saying we had to get the livestock home. However, I did stop to meet their entertainment, the cowboy singer Kevin McNiven who is the real deal from WY. I simply said I'm so and so, have your CD and really enjoy it. He thanked me, looked me over and then said, "is there a mounted shoot here, or something". I said,"a little dirty and kinda smell don't we" he laughed and said "reminds me of home".

Point being, the difference between NCOWS and SASS perhaps may be best defined as the wearing of sweat stained and smelly clothes, which is probably exactly like it was on a mid july day in 1894.

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 06:30:16 AM »
....well, I cain't wear my CAS clothing ta werk (governments funny about cops lookin "proper" ya know) but I'm just as often in them as not no matter wat I'm doin, when not at werk. Fer one thing, I've found the suspenders is much more comfortable than a danged belt! Fer anuther...I jist look absolutely fabulous in em! 8) ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 09:26:39 AM »
We had to dress up fer a visitor today at verk. So, I'z sittin' here in black pants my mother made fer me that are patterned after 1860's pants, a white shirt that Del delivered to me at the Muster from the Fort, a grey wool vest a bought at Goodwill with a pocket watch in the left pocket, black braces I bought at Goodwill, black cotton socks I bought at Walmart, and black wingtip shoes I bought at Goodwill 'cuz I don't have any period correct black shoes.

By the by, I ain't wearing period correct unmentionables either.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »
I've had people ask me why I'm dresssed "that way."

My standard answer is to smile and say, "I'm sorry...what way?"

Usually starts a friendly conversation.

Only real negative confrontation was two guys from NYC who made a comment about "Damned western cowboy wannabes."  We discussed why they should go the hell back to New York City and why they should keep their mouths shut until they crossed the Mississsippi east bound.

Didn't hurt that about thirty people took up the argument and left me spectating.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 09:46:11 AM »
I like it when the real working cowboys ask me if I'm a real cowboy.  My answer is NO, I'm higher up on the food chain than any durn cowboy.  While they pause to decide what to do with me, I tell them I'm a cosie, a master of dutch ovens.  Have made some very good friends that way.

Last weekend one of them that has eatin' my dutch oven cookin' told me that if I wanted to escape the city one of the largest ranches in Nebraska is lookin' for a cook, would be an outdoors job most of the spring, fall and summer.  Sadly my wife would never go for it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 12:22:45 PM »
Well, I don't get too much leaway in what I wear, work and all.  I have mostly learn to ignore what people think of my clothes.  Years ago (nearly 20), I was taking Martial arts, my roommates and myself really got into the life style and would often wear our asian inspired clothes everywear.  I have never been a small man, so one day as I sat crosslegged on the floor of the science building lounge, my roommate and a friend ran into the room, bowed before me and proclaimed, enlighten us oh Buddah.    They quickly found our that I may be a pudgy man in oriental clothing, I do not have the Buddah's propensity to non-violence. 

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 05:52:46 PM »
I like it when the real working cowboys ask me if I'm a real cowboy.  My answer is NO, I'm higher up on the food chain than any durn cowboy.  While they pause to decide what to do with me, I tell them I'm a cosie, a master of dutch ovens.  Have made some very good friends that way.

Last weekend one of them that has eatin' my dutch oven cookin' told me that if I wanted to escape the city one of the largest ranches in Nebraska is lookin' for a cook, would be an outdoors job most of the spring, fall and summer.  Sadly my wife would never go for it.

Del, are they supplyn' the wagon? 
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 05:59:23 PM »
They're spossed to have one.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 07:23:48 PM »
I have never been a cowboy and don't play one in our sport. Way too Old and fat.

I don't think we can hold others to the standards we set ourselves.  Many don't have horses, the means or the place to keep them  Does this make them less.  Many like Cuts Crooked have a dress code they must meet.  Does this mean they are less dedicated?

Others can't handle the heat.  Does this mean their portrayal is less accurate then anothers who can?

We all have to do the best we can within the parameters that we have in our particular circumstance.

I have never quit in the middle of any endeavor.  Does this mean I am better than one who does?  I think not.  We each set our limits in everything we do everyday.  Such is life.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 09:12:26 PM »
Answering the subject line

I wear it whenever I ain't in bed.   ;D

I guess I'm hard core cause I wear it to bed also. ;D

Somehow, Del, I think she was implying something else.

My apologies if I'm mistaken. ::)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 09:18:32 PM »
I have worn night shirts for nearly 30 years. I hate to sleep in anything else. 8).  As for getting tangled in them I usually pull them WAY up. 

At our cabin, which is heated by wood it gets down in the 40s at night.  I am comfortable in my flannel night shirt.  Heck I have just worn it out to the outhouse when it's been in the teens but generally put on a sweat shirt over it prior to the trip. ;)

Will Ketchum

Heck, sometimes I wake up and my T-shirt is all bunched up under my arms!!  It's guaranteed that a nightshirt wouldn't last long in place.  I move around a bit...

Back to the topic at hand. I don't wear my stuff "in public", but do agree that a cowboy shouldn't look clean and pressed.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 11:29:59 PM »
Howdy Del,

I am still new to the Old West.  I have a pretty big wardrobe for someone who has been doing this for less than a year.  I wear my NCOWS clothes to NCOWS events.

BUT, I don't wear 21st Century clothes at all, except for underwear.  My regular wardrobe, ALL THE TIME, is vintage clothing from the 1920's through the 1970's.  Wore 70's bell bottom jeans and a 40's wool shirt to my 1846 US Army living history event in Topeka KS this weekend.  Didn't need the wool shirt for the drive home as it got up to 81 degrees this afternoon.  We had steady wind of about 25 mph with gusts over 50mph.  Lifted the fly off of the front of my tent.  Boy was that exciting!

I get a lot of coments on many of the clothes that I wear.  I am always willing to talk about vintage clothing and where to get it.  It is who I am!  It's just not Old West clothing.

I definately do NOT portray a cowboy.  Way beyond my scope of knowledge.  Since I almost always wear a tie and fall through spring a sports coat/suit, I feel quite comfortable wearing a ditto suit, cut away or frock coat.  A coat and tie are worn the same way, regardless of the time period.  Just different cut and sometimes fabric.  I wear a lot of wool suits all year round.  Tropical weight wool is not bad in the summer when you have AC in your truck.  Need wool to be comfortable in some public places who keep their AC set at  65 F.  I wear shorts from the 50's - 70's and have Hawaiian shirts from the 50's, 60's & 70's.  It's not Old West, but I live in it every day!

Gee, it's fun to do your own thing!
  ;D ::) ;D ::) :) ::) ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2005, 11:51:54 PM »
I've had people ask me why I'm dresssed "that way."

LOL!!! When I get asked that question I generally respond, "On accounta the women folk tend ta get the vapors iffin I don' put my clothes on!"  ;D ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 12:15:24 AM »
I generally wear my boots (Ariats), jeans, t-shirt or button up long-sleeve shirt, denim jacket if needed. Cowboy hat, like the one in this photo, when needed. I like to save my period stuff for CAS or other times when I want to show the period.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com