Author Topic: Clothing (When do you wear it?)  (Read 13926 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Clothing (When do you wear it?)
« on: November 08, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »
I get the impression that many are ashamed to wear their period outfits in the general public.  so how many wear them when they can, have you asked if you can wear apropriate 19th century clothing to work?  Do you wear them out shopping?   Do you wear yer fancy banquet dudes to church?  Have you worn them to a wedding that wasn't a period one, a funeral?   I of course can wear them to work, but also wear them everywear. 

So come on now tell us the truth, remember if you don't wear them often you feel like a fish out of water when you do, others will see that and know you don't really feel right wearin' them.

Remember when it's the 31st of October and the guy in line behind you at the grocery store says nice Halloween Costume, the check out girl should tell him it ain't. ;D  Cause she knows. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Clothing (When do you wear it?)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
I can't wear them at verk except for Halloween. But, I wear my hat on the way home from verk. I often shop after verk and have had comments that people liked my hat. I wore my whole outfit, minus guns, to church one Father's Day.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 04:43:49 PM »
We might have to get you a nighshirt before the next muster. ;D  I'm lookin' fer leather slippers to add to my evening wear. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:47:04 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:47:16 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
It's a McCalls pattern from the sleepware section, I just changed the collar to a banded cause I like them better on a night shirt, the cap was made without a pattern.  You'd think more of the hardcores would have a night shirt.  Sides that yer warmer not to wear the same clothes that you wore all day. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
I'll confess Dell, when I stop for gas or food and I'm dressed in my 1870's personna I get some strange looks and have been asked if I'm Amish. And, I feel a little bit weird. However, when I do CMSA events and I stop people do look, But I have no problem then. Tall boots, spurs, more traditional cowboy hat, and usually dirty and smelling of horse, heck I could live like that. Can't really make a living dressed like that though. So, condition 1, embarrassed, condition 2, proud but unemployed if I show up at the next meeting like that.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »
But not all clothing of the period is cowboy, I sell plenty of it to office workers who just don't want to wear what everbody else does.  Few of them even know what cowboy shooting is.  As for folks that stare just look at the way they dress and give them the look, heck they is jelous.  ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 05:52:26 PM »
Once in awhile I manage to get some strange looks and comments when I show up someplace in a derby with a beaded hatband and a hawk feather, a fringed coat, mt Fort Frontier boots, and a such.

Had a couple of local tough-guy-gang-bangers ask me if I'd sell the coat and derby.  Told them no, but told them to contact Walker 47.  I might be surprised to neet them all decked out someday.

The coat gets the most response.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 06:22:28 PM »
Del, As you know I wear my "period" clothing almost all the time.  Always have, always will.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 06:33:35 PM »
And you wear them as if they belonged on you and they contain the honest wear such clothing has to have to look truly period.  Clothing worn once or twice a month don't have that look, especially when it all has that look. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 07:03:07 PM »
When I wear "19th Century" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.
When I wear "18th Century" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.
When I wear "Arlo Guthrie" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.
When I wear "Cajun seafood eatin" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.
When I wear "Red Green" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.
When I wear "contemporay businessman" clothes there are some who stare, point and snicker.

However I'm dressed there are kids who point and say, "hey it's.....that guy"

I've long ago come to terms with the fact that I'm just a circus freak in search of an audience  ;D
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 07:10:12 PM »
Ya just have to give them that stare that's like Billy Dixon lookin' fer another target, they quit laughin' and go hid. ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 07:15:12 PM »
I'll second what Del said about Quickfire, I wouldn't know him in any other clothes.  I alway personally wear a hat and boots unless it's a 110 in the shade and I do wear shorts and a t shirt to work sometimes,  I've been thinking about using some older CAS shirts for work shirts, they are some of the most comfortable shirts that I own, and they do have a tendancy to get ripped off of you at work.... :o  When Miss Pam and I attend a shoot, we always travel in our CAS clothes to the event and home, the only exception has been to Hell on Wheels in July.  And we love the looks and comments that we get when we stop for gas or eat....  ;D ;D ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 07:18:46 PM »
Del,
While we are at it, lets ask how many ride horses on a regular basis, own their own horses, rope, or rode bulls....I've done all three, still ride almost everyday, in my indian clothing sometimes...but I would look rather out of place dressed like a chiricauhua going to church on sundays. How many Cosies here work for a working cattle ranch (which I have done in my youth) daily, or cook chuck on the very few cattle drives that take place in this country today. There is a lot more to living the part besides wearing the clothes..... When I take my 18th or 19th century clothes off and put on my modern duds I'm still native american that won't change..... ;D ;D,

TIC
OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 07:30:19 PM »
And there is, but it still seems funny to me that so many are ashamed to wear them in public.  Sadly my work does not let me get out to ranches much, I have many offers, but I also have to keep my other job. 

But if I cook it it is just like I write it.  Sometimes on the stove sometimes out in the yard.  I'm proud of what I do and if they won't let me wear what I want they better be paying me or I ain't gonna be there.  The exception is when I work in the work clothing dept.  I wear jeans and a T-Shirt, but don't give up the hat or boots.

They also had to give me the pants and shirt, I had nothing but period clothing to wear.

One must live as much of it as one can to understand it, readin' about it is just book learnin'.  Sadly most of us can't live it all.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 08:03:13 PM »
O.C.B., I still ride almost every day. Even find time to train a colt every once in a while.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 08:41:52 PM »
Answering the subject line

I wear it whenever I ain't in bed.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 09:14:41 PM »
I guess I'm hard core cause I wear it to bed also. ;D

Also since my perrsona has evolved from trail cosie to the co--owner of Delmonico's West the finest portable resteraunt in the West I don't have need to ride a horse, I hire a ride. ;D  A true ranch or trail cook only cooked for about a dozen, have did  for over a hundred at once. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
Del...don't yer legs get all tangled up in them gowns?  ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 09:50:29 PM »
I have worn night shirts for nearly 30 years. I hate to sleep in anything else. 8).  As for getting tangled in them I usually pull them WAY up. 

At our cabin, which is heated by wood it gets down in the 40s at night.  I am comfortable in my flannel night shirt.  Heck I have just worn it out to the outhouse when it's been in the teens but generally put on a sweat shirt over it prior to the trip. ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com