Registered on November 3, 2005 and last updated on November 23, 2006.

Cuts Crooked
Location: * Podunk Center * Iowa *
* United States of America *
Age: 53
Real life Occupation: Law Dawg
Clubs: Zen Shootists
Organizations: BOLD #19
Mormon Posse (honorary)
SASS #36914
NCOWS #2250

Recent News About Me:

My Chosen Alias (The story behind and how I picked it):
The alias Cuts Crooked was "gifted" to me quite a few years ago by my coworkers who are also in a reenactor group. The story behind that needn't be told here.

The Life & Times of Cuts Crooked

Born April 11, 1845 in Ioway territory, the only child of a Welsh/Irish trapper and his Indian bride. His father, realizing the fur trade was coming to an end and having developed a strong distaste for Hudson Bay Companies business practices, was traveling southwest intending to take up trapping & trading along the Taos trail. Cuts was born during the trip. His father allowed Cuts to grow up in close contact with Native Americans, preferring to live in close proximity to the Indians, possibly due to his wifes race. Trying his hand at multiple endevours he had a good measure of success. When Cuts was ten years old his father sent him to St Louis to be educated. He had contacts developed during his years as a trader and Cuts was to live with a lawyer freind who handled his fathers financial affairs "back east".

Although extremely unhappy at having to live in a place where one was expected to wear clothing and eat with silverware, as well as sleeping in a building, Cuts adjusted to the changes in his station rapidly and proved to a quick student but had some trouble interacting with his classmates in elementory school. (he was constantly getting into fights because of his determination to remain an "Indian") The Lawyer, being an observant man, took note and decided to educate Cuts with private tutors and with a bent towards a law degree. During this time Cuts was relatively happy but wanted to return to the west and his family & freinds there. His letters home to his father and mother were long pleas to allow him to come home. His father, being only semi literate rarely replied to the letters directly, using freinds to handle his corrospondence and directing them through the lawyer. All in all a very unsatisfactory way to 'anchor" his relationship with his family. Still the lawyer was a good temporary father figure and astute enough to be understanding of the strain on Cuts, allowing him frequent breaks to hunt and camp along the banks of the Mississippi. Although his was insistant that Cuts use his Christian name, Jonathan Davies.

In April of 1861 open hostilities broke out between the Union and the New Confederacy. Although Cuts had not really paid much attention to the circumstances surrounding the controversy his sympathies lay with the south, reasoning that states rights were more important than a powerful central government that dictated to the states. Cuts had turned sixteen and made up his mind to go south and inlist in new Confederate Army. The lawyer tried to talk him out of it without success and they parted on amicable terms, with the understanding that Cuts would return to his studies when the war ended. Cuts traveled to Virginia and enlisted. he rose rapidly through the ranks as did anyone with a modicum of education and a willingness to fight.

The war ended for Cuts at Shilo, one year later. He had risen to the rank of Captain in the cavalry, in part due to his skills on horse back, his ability to read & write, and in large measure to his ability to lead men, and follow orders to perfection. But a musket ball through the bones of his right calf finalized his military career. He endured a long recovery, with bouts of infection and constant fights with army surgeons who wanted to cut the leg off. When he was well enough he traveled back to St Louis. On arriving there he contacted the family attorny, with the intent to fufill his promise to continue his education. However on arrival he was advised that contact with his father had been lost. The Lawyer had attempted to locate him through agents on the frontier, but without any success. He had a rather substantial sum of money that had been sent to him over the years for Cuts education and for investment. Having invested it heavily in the arms industry it amounted to far more than Cuts simple needs. So Cuts decided to go west, taking only enough of the money to get to Taos and begin searching for his family.

When he arrived in the area of Taos, he found no one that could tell him where his father was. A trading post that his father had run was gone, burned to the ground. The only lead he had was from an elderly halfbreed who thought that his father & mother had gone to Galvaston Texas. This was the beginning of several years of travel throughout the west. In Galvaston he heard rumor that a man and woman, who seemed to match his parents description, had gone from there to Nevada Territory, and from there yet other vague rumors.... Cuts continued the search, sometimes stopping to work for ranchers, or farmers, and even working a placer mine for a prospector for several months. But always keeping and ear open for any word of his family. In 1867, again following a vague rumor, he went to The Bosque Redondo reservation in New Mexico. He found no information concerning his family. He was appalled by conditions on the reservation, deeply moved by the plight of the Navajo there, who were starving to death slowly, or dying more quickly due to lack of adequet sanitation and medical assistance. He spoke with the Agent in charge to no avail, and left after harsh words were exchanged in which the agent threatened him by stating he would call in the military officials if Cuts did not vacate the reservation immediately. As Cuts was leaving he was approched by an Indian woman who begged him to take her only surviving child with him, in order to save her from death by starvation. Cuts did so reluctantly. He took the girl east, traveling off the beaten paths, to avoid questions concerning the girl, and ultimately arrived back in St Louis. He contacted his freind the Lawyer, who was doing very well financially and was moving investments into the railroads. They came to an agreement to have the girl boarded in St Louis and educated there. Cuts then returned west, wandering, working, and searching. He didn't know it, but that little Indian girl was going to have a profound affect on his life later.

He worked by driving herds north to the railheads for ranchers in Texas but he took his wage in a percentage, often buying cattle to drive with the ranchers herds. At railhead he would take his earnings and the profits from his own cattle and send much of it east to the lawyer for investment. He would also back local ventures at railhead, owning part of several drinking establishments and hotels. He sometimes stayed at a railhead town for a couple of months, taking employment as a bartender, or bouncer, and occassionaly as a faro dealer.

1870 found him in San Fransisco working for a Rancher from North Texas who had sent him there as a cattle buyer to examine some new breeds that had been shipped by ocean liner. The Rancher sent word that he was no longer interested, but Cuts invested his own money and drove the cattle over the Rockies and back to Texas. He had an idea for this small herd, but it was long range planning that was on his mind. Back in Texas he put together a herd and hired a crew of his own to drive them north, along with the odd looking short horn cattle he had purchased on the coast. Only this time he wasn't going to a railtown, They took that herd to Montana, where Cuts intended to establish his own ranch. It was a long arduous fight to drive the herd and harder fight to build a ranch. He offered his drivers a chance to stay on as ranch hands. several of them did but a few just wanted to get back a rail town or Texas. Those that remained worked hard along side their boss and built!

1875 found him with a fine working ranch and enough cattle to make small drives several times a year to the railroads, Beef was needed on both coasts and he was supplying the kind that was in demand! Not the stringy longhorn beef, but the descendants of them, crossed with the short horn breed. They were good beeves that could survive the rugged Montana winters but would fatten nicely on an easy drive to rail towns.

Returning home from a drive in the fall of 75 he found a real surprize awaiting him. A woman, and a letter! The letter was from his lawyer explaining that Angel had "finished her education" and had demanded to go west to be with "her Warrior". Stunned by this developement Cuts was insistant that she return to St Louis and he would provide for her financially or help her to set up herself up in business if she wished. Angel had her own ideas and pointed out that Winter was coming fast and travel would be difficult, if not impossible until spring. So a small addition was added to the ranch house for her to live in through the winter.

Two years later, Angel was still at the Cuts wife! Together they made a life for themselves and raised three strapping sons. As a family they fought together against cattle thieves, and Indians when they had too, they endured hard winters, drought, a fire that burned their ranch house. They rebuilt and kept together. The boys grew and left home following their own interests, one going to sea, one went into law back east, the youngest became an engineer and built roads & bridges where ever his skills were needed.

1897 it's been a good life. Where will it go from here? Only God knows the answer to that but Cuts and Angel will stay where they are and wait for letters from their far fareing sons. In the process of making this life together Cuts had given up the search for his parents long ago, reasoning that whatever happened to them, they were long gone. And now Cuts and Angel simply live and work together awaiting the future.................
My current guns & gear:
Main match guns are a pair of 75 Remingtons and a 92 Rossi all in .45, and a Crescent SxS 12 gauge.

Back ups are a mismatched pair of 38s and a .357 Rossi, along with a Coyote Cap 97. I also have a pair of 58 Remingtons that I shoot on those occassions when I want to compete as a Frontiersman.
Other information I would like to share:

Send an Email to Cuts Crooked:

Your Email Address:


Copyright 1996-2004
Kjell Heilevang aka Marshal Halloway, SASS #3411 Regulator
Email: Phone & Voicemail: 1-620-374-2093

image linking to 100 Top Guns and Gear Sites