Author Topic: Dee-sem-brrr Coffee  (Read 165289 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Re: Dee-sem-brrr Coffee
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
I just finished my first cup of Cawffee, and watching a replay of Round 1 of the NFR, and wishing that I was there in Vegas. I will be having a bad case of "cabin fever".

Thanks for the coffee...and all the well wishes, as we traveled. Tex thanks for the NFR reminder. I had bought a set of 2 way radios so we could travel in separate vehicles. I asked Montana yesterday if it was time for the NFR to start. neither of us were sure.

Cold here this morning looks like it is locked in for about 5 days. The Montana Griz play Costal Carolina tomorrow at home. Should be interesting.
Mathew 5.9

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
Got most of the first cup down and Mrs. Hairy called me for breakfast;  ???  Went in and found a couple of pieces of toast with an egg in a hole in the middle, again,  ???, and a couple of strips of bacon; a surprise.  She usually only does stuff like that for the kids.

Glad to hear you got through without any hitches (I hope), Roo; I was afraid the weather might get ya'.

Yep, the Rodeo is on.  Our Daughter-In-Law is an X-Ray Tech (mobile) and works all of the rodeos that come to town; gets plenty of overtime.

Weather here is cold; not as cold as some places, but yesterday only got to 45, and overnight in the twenties - a far cry from just a couple of months ago.  At least it isn't wet - - - yet, s'posed to get rain, maybe sn** in the valley this weekend.

Y'all keep safe in the weather. gotta get on with it.

Later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Mornin' y'all.  Thanks for the coffee.  Well, that white fluffy stuff falling from the sky that has been forecast since last week sometime finally found us.  not bad lookin', and it's fairly dry stuff, which is unusual for around here.  most of the time, you just about drown walking from the end of the porch ten feet to the car.  Real slushy, and terrible when it refreezes.  I'm still not leaving the house for a while...... 
Tomorrow is the end of my ten-day waiting period for my new handgun, but I can't pick it up until Tuesday, or maybe even Thursday! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(    ARG!!!!!!  I'm a little restless over it, can y' tell?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 02:53:53 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
Disembodied voices in the ‘HEY! Loft’ sed it hit 79°. Windows were closed when it hit 71° in the back hall. That’s a plenty. End up with fans runnin’ at nighty-nite time.

Done my errands:

Sam’s parkin’ lot. Nice weather. Windows down. Park the station wagon ‘n a bird lands on the mirror.

“Hey, bird. Good ta see ya. Gonna ask kindly ya don’t evacuate whilst yer there.”

Looks at me.

“Nothin’ in here ta feed ya.”

Looks like she might wanna come in ‘n see if I’m holdin’ out on ‘er. Put the window up, that’ll spook ‘er. Didn’t werk. Close the hole in the roof – just in case. Still there. Switched the mirror adjustor ta the left ‘n moved it ‘round. Didn’t phase the bird. Shut it off ‘n got out. Bird rode the door out ‘n back shut. No, I didn’t slam it – like my birds. Watched me walk off.

Went in. Got dope from Martha. Hot dog combo from the snack place. Saved a hunka bread. Got back ta the station wagon – no bird. Was gonna find a Ford ta toss it on fer the bird ta eat offa.

Head ta the tobacco shop. All kindsa police ‘n fire stuff goin’ by with the lights ‘n noise. Get ta the tobacco shop ‘n they’s all there. Looked like some ole gal jumped the curb ‘n tried ta make the place a drive in. She’s talkin’ ta the cops with ‘er hands well as ‘er mouth. Quite animated, lookin' kinda wired.

Camera’s sittin’ ‘ere on the desk whilst I’m out seein’ all this neat stuff. T’was full when I went ta shoot the turtle t’other day. It’s ready ta go ‘n back out in the station wagon now. Too late.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
We lost power at 10 am and it did not come back on until 1700.  I cooked lunch on the outdoor grill. We had Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I built a fire in the fireplace for heat.  The temp is supposed to get down to about 16. This stuff looks like we will have it until about Tuesday. Moose did not have school today.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Glad you're OK, TLD. Was wonderin' about you after seeing some of the Weather Channel's stuff earlier today. ;)

lR, glad to see you're okay as well ;)

We've got about 4" of the evil white stuff on the grass here, not so much on the drive,though.

Arcey, the squirrels been keeping me busy. Birds are getting left overs because of them. Feeder I set out to try and keep them out of the bird's stuff hasn't done what I was hoping. got three blacks and a large gray terrorizing the place. Deer season is in and we've had some traffic on this side of the hill this week. Wednesday had a group of five does back here. Yesterday had a single large doe. They know that they can't be shot at on this side of the hill ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
Six inches of fluffy white stuff.  Temps below 20.......Yup, and did I mention I sleep in a uninsulated room in the house? :o  Coldness.  Other than that it is okay.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
 we are running about 10 degrees above normal seeing low mid 80's .... Guessers don't see any coolness until the end of next week and then only a 52 low...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
I'll start a pot, no guarantees,though ::)

Plumbing decided it was time to get up, plus the park plow went through making noise. :o

Drive doesn't look too bad, won't have to use the blower,just the shovel. Have to take my SIL to the VA Clinic in a while for an appointment. The girls don't like to drive in this stuff.

Have a gig tonight at the Massillon K of C, annual Christmas Ball. Three hour gig ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
Mornin’.

Today is a day that lives in infamy. A mighty giant wept in agony, revenge inevitable.

I suppose ta be proper, Buck, all them things is squirrel feeders the birds get lucky with now 'n again.

T’was 70° ‘n dry yestitty this time. 43° ’n rainin’ now. Can’t put my copy of our flag up. Hot soup gonna be good this evenin’.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »
Watching a Pearl Harbor  show on Military Ch. this morning...Blood Pressure pill down. It's -5° this morning not looking good till around Tuesday or Wed. Returning the Uhaul in a couple hours.

Outside activities including site seeing will be placed on hold for a day or two. There is a gunshow not far from here I may go over to, it is indoors.

Ya'll stay safe.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
-3 here, nuther work day.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee, Buck.

Biscuits and gravy fer breakfast.

Putting up the Christmas tree today.

'Tis -4 and sunny. Feels like -16. High of 9.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
 6 degrees outside now, about an inch of snow was all we got(so far) sun shining now. Pancakes on the griddle. Mostly indoor plans today, might walk around the farm with a rifle later, still antlerless only deer season here. But too cold for me to get up at 5 and sit in a tree! There's a big buck that likes to come out behind the house and lick the salt block, he'll probably show himself just to taunt me now.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Mornin Y'all, woke up to 32 degrees and about an inch of the evil white stuff, was supposed to get rain only over night...weather liars were wrong...Again.At least it won't stay long, ground isn't frozen yet and it's supposed to get up in mid 40's.All Y'all have a good day.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
Thanks for the Cawffee this morning. It is a balmy 22 degrees outside, and that is cold for us. We slept in this morning. I never got see Round 2 of the NFR last night. I am glad that I have it on DVR. The Moose is building a fire in the fireplace for warmth. Breakfast is coming later, just Cawffee for now.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
My Dad was going through pilot training in San Antonio when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. The Moose had a cousin on the Arizona.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
Monin' y'all.  It's about 25 right now, with about eight inches of the white stuff.  Makes the mountains look real pretty.....and the ambulance workers check.   Yesterday I counted 15 car crashes paged over the radio, and three today.  Our local ambulance crew has five total trucks, and serves an area the size of New Hampshire......with enough mountain terrain that if it were flattened out, it would be about 100 square miles larger  than Texas. :o  Needless to say, they are in overdrive of overdrive.    Good news is, it's supposed to melt in the next two or three days.  Than again, how fully do you trust the weather man....? 

--TK

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
how fully do you trust the weather man....? 

--TK

I trust they won't be fired for being wrong
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
Intended to be brief. Not intended to minimize nor disrespect by omission others suffering the attack.

Battleships of Pearl Harbor.

Maryland – Newport News, VA – 1921 - She was moored at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese struck on 7 December 1941, but received relatively minor damage. Following repairs and overhaul, Maryland operated with Task Force One off the U.S. West Coast in 1942, deploying to the South Pacific later in the year. She took part in operations to capture the Gilbert and Marshall Islands in late 1943 and early 1944, employing her sixteen-inch guns in the pre-invasion bombardments of Tarawa and Kwajalein.

In June 1944, Maryland again participated in pre-invasion gunnery, this time against Saipan. During this operation, she was torpedoed by a Japanese aircraft, necessitating a trip to Pearl Harbor for repairs. The battleship returned to action for the Palaus operation in September 1944. During the Leyte invasion in October, she bombarded enemy positions ashore and fired on Japanese warships during the Battle of Surigao Strait. While operating off Leyte in late November, Maryland was damaged by a "Kamikaze" suicide plane.

Maryland was repaired in time to participate in the Okinawa operation during March and April 1945, was again hit by enemy air attack on 7 April, but remained in action for another week. She then went to the West Coast for overhaul. This work was completed in early August, but the Pacific War ended before she could return to the combat zone. After spending the last months of 1945 transporting servicemen home from the mid-Pacific, Maryland went to Bremerton, Washington, for inactivation. She was decommissioned in April 1947 and remained in "mothballs" until July 1959, when she was sold for scrapping.

Tennessee – New York, NY – 1920 - Tennessee was one of eight battleships present when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Moored inboard of USS West Virginia (BB-48), she was hit by two bombs, which damaged two of her four gun turrets, and was scorched by burning oil from the sunken USS Arizona. In late December, after temporary repairs, Tennessee steamed to the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Washington, for an overhaul. From February through August 1942, she operated off the U.S. west coast, then briefly went to Pearl Harbor before returning to Puget Sound for extensive modernization.

With her appearance completely changed and her weapons, combat systems and protection considerably enhanced, Tennessee emerged from the shipyard in May 1943. She almost immediately moved up to the Aleutians area, where her 14-inch guns bombarded Kiska when that island was invaded in August. During the next year, from November 1943 into September 1944, she participated in bombardments of Tarawa, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, New Ireland, Saipan (where she was damaged by Japanese counter-fire), Guam, Tinian, Anguar and Pelieu. In October, Tennessee's guns pounded the Leyte invasion area as U.S. forces returned to the Philippines, and, on the night of 24-25 October, she helped sink the Japanese battleship Yamashiro in the Battle of Surigao Strait.

After a Stateside overhaul, Tennessee supported the Iwo Jima operation in February and March 1945, firing nearly 1400 fourteen-inch and over 6000 five-inch shells at targets on the small, but fiercely defended island. Beginning in late March, she bombarded Okinawa. Hit by a suicide plane on 12 April, Tennessee remained in action until 1 May, when she went to Ulithi for repairs, then returned to Okinawa to continue her gunfire support during June. In July and August, she operated in the waters off China. Following Japan's surrender, the battleship took part in the occupation effort before returning to the United States via the Cape of Good Hope, arriving at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania, early December 1946. Through the next year, she underwent the "mothballing" process and was decommissioned in February 1947. USS Tennessee was part of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet for twelve more years and was sold for scrapping in July 1959.

California – Mare Island, CA. – 1921 - When Japanese carrier planes raided Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, she was badly damaged by torpedoes and bombs, slowly settling to the harbor bottom over the next few days. Her salvage, repair and modernization represented a major undertaking by the Pearl Harbor and Puget Sound Navy Yards and was not completed until January 1944.

Over two and a half years after she was sunk, California reentered combat, providing heavy gunfire support for the invasions of Saipan, Guam and Tinian during June and July 1944. In October and November, she took part in the Leyte Campaign, including the 25 October 1944 Battle of Surigao Strait, history's last fight between opposing battleships. In January 1945, California participated in the Lingayen Gulf invasion. Damaged by a "Kamikaze" suicide plane on 6 January, she remained in action for more than two weeks before steaming to the U.S. for repairs and an overhaul.

California returned to the Western Pacific in June 1945, in time to take part in the final stages of the Okinawa campaign. She covered occupation activities in the wake of Japan's surrender, then sailed for the Atlantic by way of the Indian Ocean and the Cape of Good Hope. After her arrival at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in December 1945, the battleship was generally inactive until her formal decommissioning in February 1947. After twelve years in the Reserve Fleet, USS California was sold for scrapping in July 1959.

Pennsylvania – Newport News, VA – 1916 - When Japan attacked on 7 December 1941, Pennsylvania, flagship of the United States Fleet, was in drydock at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard. Her relatively light damage was repaired over the next few months, and she operated along the U.S. west coast and off Hawaii until October 1942. Following an overhaul that significantly updated her secondary battery of 5" guns and added many anti-aircraft machine guns, Pennsylvania went to Alaskan waters, where she participated in the recapture of Attu in May 1943 and Kiska in August.

In November 1943, Pennsylvania bombarded Makin during the amphibious assault on the Gilbert Islands. She repeated this role a few months later at Kwajalein and Eniwetok, and in June and July 1944 at Saipan, Tinian and Guam. Her guns supported landings in the Palaus in September 1944 and at Leyte in October. When the Japanese Navy responded vigorously to the latter operation, Pennsylvania helped to destroy part of the enemy fleet in the Battle of Surigao Strait.

In January 1945, Pennsylvania took part in the Lingayen Gulf invasion. Freshly returned to the combat zone after another overhaul, she was seriously damaged by a Japanese aerial torpedo off Okinawa on 12 August 1945, the last major Navy ship to be hit during the Second World War. Too old for retention in the post-war fleet, Pennsylvania was repaired only enough to fit her for target duty. She served in that capacity during the July 1946 Bikini atomic bomb tests. Subsequently moored at Kwajalein for studies of residual radioactivity, USS Pennsylvania was scuttled at sea on 19 February 1948.

West Virginia – Newport News, VA – 1923 - West Virginia's base was moved to Pearl Harbor in 1940, and she was there on 7 December 1941, when the Japanese attacked with an overwhelming force of carrier aircraft. In that raid, the battleship was hit by two bombs and at least seven torpedoes, which blew huge holes in her port side. Skillful damage control saved her from capsizing, but she quickly sank to the harbor bottom. More than a hundred of her crew were lost. Salvaged and given temporary repairs at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, in April 1943 West Virginia steamed to the West Coast for final repair and modernization at the Puget Sound Navy Yard.

The battleship emerged from the shipyard in July 1944 completely changed in appearance, with a wider hull, and massively improved anti-aircraft gun battery. West Virginia arrived in the Pacific combat zone in October, and soon was participating in pre-invasion bombardment of Leyte, in the Philippines. On 25 October, as a force of Japanese battleships and smaller vessels attempted to make a night attack on the landing area, she was one of the ships that stopped them in the Battle of Surigao Strait, the last time in World history when battleships engaged battleships with their big guns.

Subsequently, West Virginia took part in operations to capture Mindoro, Lingayen Gulf, Iwo Jima and Okinawa, using her sixteen-inch guns to support U.S. ground forces. On 1 April 1945, while off Okinawa, she was hit by a Japanese Kamikaze plane but was able to remain in action, continuing her bombardment duties there into June. After Japan's capitulation, West Virginia supported the occupation effort until mid-September. She participated in Operation "Magic Carpet" during the last part of 1945, bringing home veterans of the Pacific war. Inactive after early 1946, she was decommissioned in January 1947. Following twelve years in the Pacific Reserve Fleet, USS West Virginia was sold for scrapping in August 1959.

Nevada - Quincy, MA  - 1916 - The only battleship able to get underway during the 7 December 1941 Pearl Harbor Raid, Nevada was the object of intense attacks by Japanese aircraft. Left in a sinking condition after receiving one torpedo and several bomb hits, she had to be beached. Vigorous salvage work and temporary repairs enabled her to steam to the U.S. west coast in April 1942. She spent the rest of the year receiving permanent repairs and improvements, including a greatly enhanced anti-aircraft gun battery.

Nevada returned to combat during the Attu landings in May 1943. Transferred to the Atlantic in mid-1943, her 14" and 5" guns were actively employed during the Normandy Invasion in June 1944 and the Southern France operation in August and September. The battleship then returned to the Pacific, where she assisted with the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa in 1945.

Though damaged by a suicide plane on 27 March and by an artillery shell on 5 April, Nevada remained in action off Okinawa until June 1945. She spent the remaining months of World War II in the Western Pacific, preparing for the invasion of Japan.
With the coming of peace, Nevada steamed back to Hawaii. She was too old for retention in the post-war fleet, and was assigned to serve as a target during the July 1946 atomic bomb tests at Bikini, in the Marshall Islands. That experience left her damaged and radioactive, and she was formally decommissioned in August 1946. After two years of inactivity, USS Nevada was towed to sea off the Hawaiian islands and sunk by gunfire and torpedos.

Oklahoma – Camden, NJ – 1916 - She was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked on 7 December 1941. Moored outboard of USS Maryland (BB-46), she was hit by a great number of Japanese Type 91 aerial torpedoes. With her port side torn open over much of its length, Oklahoma rapidly rolled over and sank to the harbor bottom, with the loss of over 400 of her crew. Many of the men trapped in her upturned hull were cut free through the intense efforts of Sailors and civilian Navy Yard employees.

During 1943, Oklahoma was the subject of a massive salvage undertaking, involving turning her upright, patching her damages and refloating her. She was drydocked late in the year to be stripped of guns and other equipment and repaired sufficiently to make her relatively watertight. Too old and badly damaged to be worth returning to service, Oklahoma was formally decommissioned in September 1944. She was sold for scrapping in December 1946, but sank while under tow from Hawaii to California in May 1947.

Arizona – New York, NY – 1916 - Arizona was moored in Pearl Harbor's "Battleship Row" on the morning of 7 December 1941, when Japanese carrier aircraft attacked. She was hit by several bombs, one of which penetrated her forecastle and detonated her forward ammunition magazines. The resulting massive explosion totally wrecked the ship's forward hull, collapsing her forward superstructure and causing her to sink, with the loss of over 1100 of her crewmen. In the following months, much of her armament and topside structure was removed, with the two after triple 14" gun turrets being transferred to the Army for emplacement as coast defense batteries on Oahu.

The wrecked battleship's hull remained where she sank, a tomb for many of those lost with her. In 1950, she began to be used as a site for memorial ceremonies, and, in the early 1960s a handsome memorial structure was constructed over her midships hull. This USS Arizona Memorial, operated by the National Park Service, is a permanent shrine to those Americans who lost their lives in the attack on Pearl Harbor and in the great Pacific War that began there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com