Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1183016 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #3260 on: September 06, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
Two fantastic songs from Guy Clark, back to back, the second one is him at his best.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3261 on: September 06, 2009, 03:19:30 PM »
Another blast from the past:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3262 on: September 06, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
Remove yer hat Del...

Don't know what made me think of that one.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3263 on: Today at 05:26:51 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3263 on: September 06, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
was  a story on the Arkansas Carry board this morning,  this fella in the story managed Black Oak Arkansas at one time.

By Bill Lawson / Staff Writer / blawson@maumellemonitor.com
Friday, September 4, 2009 9:03 AM CDT

North Little Rock police place Norman Millard “Butch” Stone Jr. of Maumelle under arrest Monday evening on the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market parking lot after Maumelle police stopped him based upon a broadcast alert about a car involved in a gun incident at the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Boulevard. (Bill Lawson)
Maumelle Family Fest promoter Norman Millard “Butch” Stone Jr., 63, of Maumelle was arrested Monday night in Maumelle by North Little Rock police after an alleged road rage incident involving a gun on Maumelle Boulevard that continued onto the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Boulevard.

North Little Rock police said Stone was charged with four counts of aggravated assault.

Stone was handcuffed and placed in the back of a North Little Rock patrol car and the handgun he was carrying was confiscated as evidence.

Maumelle police Chief Sam Williams confirmed that Maumelle police stopped Stone in the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market parking lot about 7 p.m. Monday night after North Little Rock Police broadcast an alert for a car fitting description of Jones’ car. The car allegedly had been involved in a gun incident at the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Maumelle Boulevard a few minutes earlier.

Four Maumelle patrol units and three North Little Rock patrol cars converged on the parking lot.
ADVERTISEMENT

Williams confirmed that Stone had a black 9 mm Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol in his car at the time he was stopped. He said Stone has a concealed-carry permit from the Arkansas State Police to carry the weapon but North Little Rock police officers arrested him based on the complaints from patrons at Wal-Mart about showing a gun.

The North Little Rock police report said three men were in a car westbound on Maumelle Boulevard when they encountered Stone’s black Chrysler PT Cruiser traveling below the speed limit in the outside lane.

The driver of the second car, Kenton David Byrd, 25, of 7333 River Pointe Drive in Maumelle, told police he “tailgated” Stone in an attempt to get him to pull over to the inside lane. He said a passenger in Stone’s vehicle, Ronald G. Stone of Maumelle stuck his arm out of the window and waived them around.

The three people in the car, Byrd, David Eric Adams, 20, of 66 Stoneledge Drive in Maumelle and Racheal Lowry, 23 of 7333 River Pointe Drive in Maumelle all said as they pulled alongside Stone’s vehicle, “The driver leaned over the front seat passenger and pointed a black pistol out of the front passenger side window at them.”

Byrd told police he quickly pulled into the Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot on Maumelle Boulevard and Stone followed him in. He told police Stone and his passengers all exited their vehicle and came up to his.

Byrd said he got out to speak with Stone about “the problem.” He said Stone pointed the gun at him again.

Officer Brandon Bennett said in his report that all passengers in Byrd’s vehicle “recounted these events just as Byrd explained them.”

They said Stone then “pushed Byrd back into his vehicle while he held the gun on him.”

The report said Stone and his passengers yelled obscenities at them as they left in their vehicle.

Bennett also said in his report, “When told why he was being arrested, Stone spontaneously stated that he pointed the gun at them because he felt he was in danger and that he thought they had a gun.”

Bennett said he searched all victims and their vehicle and did not find a weapon.

The gun contained a clip with 16 9-mm Luger rounds, according to the report.

Stone, of 200 Millwood Circle, was accompanied in the vehicle by Justine M. Stone, 30, of the same address in Maumelle and by James D. Stone, 30, of Mandeville, La.

Stone, who has produced the Maumelle Family Fest since its inception, recently signed a multi-year contract with the city to conduct the festivals for several years. He has promoted concerts in Little Rock and elsewhere and managed several big-name musical groups, including a group of teenagers from Northeast Arkansas known as KnowBody Else. They later changed their name to Black Oak Arkansas. The group became a top-seller in the 1970s with its rendition of the Fats Domino 1950s hit, “Jim Dandy” that featured the group’s lead singer Jim Mangrum, of Black Oak, a small community north of Jonesboro.
Calls to Stone were not returned before press time.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3264 on: September 06, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
Guess you missed them in March OT:

Used to do a durn good show well worth the money, saw them 3 times in the 70's.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3265 on: September 06, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
that place they were playin at is less than 10 miles cross country to it from the house here.   They had pictures of it on TV,  it sure looked crowded there, 
I heard a few people talkin about going, said they all had a good tme.

they have a big concert goin over there this weekend too.  don't remember who they said was gonna be there
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3266 on: September 06, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
Jim Dandy looks a lot older and fatter than I remember, don't look like he jumps around as much any more either. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3267 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »
Del, That can be said for a lot of us!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3268 on: September 06, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
I looked this one up taday and was impressed with the photographs.  Thought some of ya might like it.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3269 on: September 07, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
Leo, The Mighty Mississippi certainly does have a mind of it's own!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3270 on: September 11, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
This is fer Buck.  The last note is fer you Pard, mebbe ya can still hit it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3271 on: September 11, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
Just finished readin a pretty good book on the life and death (and theft of body) of Gram Parsons.

Twenty Thousand Roads, by David N. Meyers.
It has some more info that the last book I read Hickory Wind. This book jumps around a lot, and sometimes you can't tell who is making the statement, but it has a good telling about the bus tour they took..

This guy sure made some changes in rock and country music. Interestingly, he only got ONE royalty check while he was alive.

good read, and made me get out some of my recordings of him and Emmylou again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj8qnzwHUwo&feature=related

take care
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3272 on: September 11, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
Leo, It's gonna take awhile to get the chops back up, upper register is pretty weak. Thanks though, Big Band music is some of my favorite stuff.................Buck 8)

My senior year, I managed to get Bobby Hackett's solo down for String of Pearls. Had it written down, even..........Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3273 on: September 11, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »
I still got a recording of that layin around here somewhere of me playin that solo in Jr high.  I had just gotten braces on ma teeth so I cracked a little an bled alot.  The young gal that was playin piana and had the next solo had some wrist problem from softball practice.  We pulled it off ok but it coulda been better.  I think the sax player did fine with his bit.  I'll have ta dig the tape out.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3274 on: September 12, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
Leo, It's good that you have all the musical talent, it makes up for us folks that don't have any.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3275 on: September 12, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »
This is the solo Buck is talkin about.  It's after the sax part.

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3276 on: September 12, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
According to the roster listed, that one has a different soloist, Leo. not Bobby Hacket. Good job anyway.............Buck 8) ;)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3277 on: September 12, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »
According to the roster listed, that one has a different soloist, Leo. not Bobby Hacket. Good job anyway.............Buck 8) ;)

I didn't look at that but I did notice that the whole thing sounded a little differnt.  Mighta been the Army Air Corps band.  But the solo was note fer note as far as I can tell.

Roland Deschain

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3278 on: September 12, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
Another fun little tid bit...there were lyrics written fer that one.  Can anyone else remember where the string of pearls was bought?  Ya get a cookie if ya do.  I just thought of it while settin out back.

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3279 on: September 12, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
Leo, if your E-Mail is still active, check for one out of my "home" account. Has an attachment on it from the Photobucket pics that the seller put up for that Bach. See what you think.................Buck 8) ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com