Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1188333 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #3180 on: August 31, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
Major, I enjoyed the Celtic Rock with the Pipes!   Leo, I believe I'll pass on Minnie, what about "Music to Watch Girls By"?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3181 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »
Thought I'd use this opportunity to plug my band, Cheetah Palomina.  Country-western-rockabilly from right here in Music City!

http://www.myspace.com/cheetahpalomina

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3182 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
Good stuff JD.  I loves the rockabilly sound.

Pop, you wanted yer Andy so here it is...

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3183 on: Today at 11:36:19 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3183 on: August 31, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
The Moose and I saw Andy up in Branson several years ago. I always enjoyed his Christmas specials. Thanks Leo. I had forgotten about Andy doing that song. I was thinking about the original instrumental.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3184 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:16 PM »
Al Hert I think that was.  I remember the gal on the album cover with the whip cream on her.  Man I missed alot of good stuff by gettin born late.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3185 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »
Nope, Leo that was Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream and Other Delights". The album was light green in color.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3186 on: September 01, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
But it was Al Hert that did the girl instramental wasn't it?  I guess I could look it up.
We had several Herb Albert an the TJ Brass records when I was a kid.  That must be where I got the whip cream thing from.

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3187 on: September 01, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
Hirt's big one was "Java", mid 60's I believe. I have his album when he played with The Boston Pops Orch. when Fiedler still was the conductor. Believe the girls one was another Alpert track. I did a lot of his stuff my senior year, Tiajuana Taxi and Lonely Bull come to mind.

On the horn front, Leo, the guy I got the Yamaha parts from out there in Calif., just made me an offer I may not be able to refuse. There's a company that's in Taiwan that's making some big waves making horns quite similar to Strads, Xenos, and Schilkies that's gaining some pro endorsements. they've got one model that resembles my old Bach in a larger ML bore( .460), for about $850. Hoping I hear from him on that one, it's a heavy framed horn that should be fairly dark and rich in tone quality, IMHO.................Buck ::) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3188 on: September 01, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
That'll give ya a Chuck Mangioni flugal style of sound.

God I haven't thought of Chuck in years.  Good luck on that one.

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3189 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »
Saw a Selmer fluegle in the local paper over the weekend for $200........... 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3190 on: September 01, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »
The last time I saw anything on Chuck was on an episode of "King of the Hill".

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3191 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
for the grand opening of the Mega low mart over in Arlen.   ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3192 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »
Good stuff JD.  I loves the rockabilly sound.

Thanks, Leo!  :D

Those are all originals, but we mix in some good ol' country like Merle's "Fightin' Side of Me" (one of my faves).
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3193 on: September 01, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »
JD  that one is a good Merle tune,  remember the first time I ever heard it,  over at Muskogee,  Ok.   the night Merle recorded the Okie from Muskogee Album, 1967 or 68,   it was an over flow crowd at the civic center and they turned on the outside speaker systems so we could hear everything out in the parking lot.  there were twice as many outside as in and it was sold out so they just piped it outside.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3194 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
Holy Smokes!  OT, that was History!  That record made me a solid forever Merle fan! 

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3195 on: September 01, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
a friend of mine and me rode over to the Civic Center to see about gettin in,  it was a mad house over there that night, it filled in no time and at least 5,000 were out in the parking lot.  they started the concert and within about 20 minutes they turned the speakers on outside,  so we got to enjoy the whole night from outside.
that made me a Merle fan forever too.   He played Okie from Muskogee at least 5 or 6 times that night after the concert was over  and we enjoyed it every time.  ;D ;D

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3196 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I heard the story bahind that song was that the hippies were startin ta take a likin to him an he didn't want em.  Started playin that song an chased em all away.  I hope that's true cause havin hippies follow ya around is like havin dog crap stuck on yer shoe.  Good job Merle fer grabbin the Fuller brush an scubbin em off.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3197 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:16 AM »
I listened to Merle a lot in that era on my 8 track player in my car, 67, 68, 69, and 70. I've seen Merle in concert 4 or 5 times. He always puts on a good show. I enjoy the Bob Wills stuff that he does. I found a new band in 72 that was playing western swing music when nobody else but Bob was playing. A little group called  "Asleep at the Wheel". I still have an 8-track of their first album. I've a fan of their's since 72. They play Fort Worth a lot. I grew up on Bob Willis and Hank the Father.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3198 on: September 02, 2009, 05:50:14 AM »
Tex, in 1977, in Vermont of all places, I joined a band that played western swing including a whole lot of Asleep at the Wheel covers.  We were pretty popular in the North Country (upstate NY, VT, NH).  One time several of us went to see the Wheel play in Burlington and after the show we ended up at the same restaurant. We were talking to Lucky Oceans (the pedal steel player) and told him we did covers of their stuff and he was shocked: "I didn't know anyone covered our stuff!"  I'm a total fool for western swing.

And Bob Wills is still the King.  ;D

And Merle's Strangers were one of the hottest groups of musicians ever put together.

This modern crap they're doing in Nashville, the Chesneys and all, isn't even C&W.  Don't get me started on that....  ::)

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3199 on: September 02, 2009, 06:46:51 AM »
got to meet Bob in Tulsa in the late 60's or early 70's,  he was in his brother, Johnny Lee's wester store, shook his hand and told him how much I enjoyed his music, 

He's buried there in Tulsa,  Memorial park Cematery,  got a real cool head stone. lots of songs and stories on it with a couple of fiddles on the top.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com