Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1187792 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #1820 on: November 28, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »
Leo, You are excused.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1821 on: November 28, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »
BTW, most don't know it, but Arlo and Officer Obie became very good friends that lasted till Officer Obie passed on.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1822 on: November 28, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »
The church where Alice and Ray lived, now owned by Arlo and used as a museum and a meeting place for public events.

The Resteraunt.

Arlo is gettin' old.

Today:

Then.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #1823 on: Today at 06:37:06 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1823 on: November 28, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
Wow, neat pitchures Del.  I'm sure Woody is very proud a his son even though he did that song 'bout flyin inta Los Angeleese.
     The man an his story of the masacre are now ferever icons in Americana.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #1824 on: November 28, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »
I heard Arlo talkin on something about Woody once, he said when they got money and moved to New York, he went to a school where they sang this land is your land every morning, one morning the teacher asked Arlo why he wasn't singin,  she asked him if he didn't know the words or what was the matter,
he told her yes he knew the words, his father had written the song,  teacher didin't believe him, sent him to the principal, Principal didn't believe him, almost kicked him out of school before they finally found out the wasn't lying.

but ma favorite of Woody's  is Oklahoma Hills,  saw once where it was the most requested song in California in 1932,  lots of Okies went west durin the Depression.

Many a month has come and gone
Since I've wandered from my home
In those Oklahoma hills
Where I was born

Many a page of my life has turned
Many lessons I have learned
And I feel like in those hills
Where I belong

CHORUS:
Way down yonder in the Indian nation
Ridin' my pony on the reservation
In the Oklahoma hills where I was born

Way down yonder in the Indian nation
A cowboy's life is my occupation
In the Oklahoma Hills where I was born

But as I sit here today
Many mile's I am away
From the place I rode my pony
Through the draw

Where the oak and black-jack trees
Kiss the playful prairie breeze
And I feel back in those hills
Where I belong

CHORUS

Now as I turn life a page
To the land of the great Osage
In those Oklahoma hills
Where I was born

Where the black oil rolls and flows
And the snow white cotton grows
And I feel like in those hills
Where I belong

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1825 on: November 29, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »
Del, It's one of my favorites as well.  Hank Thompson does a purty fare rendition of it too.  I got to meet Hank years ago when I was working off-duty at a CW club that was opne on the weekends. Hank lived up in Okla. somewhere just north of the Red. He would used the house band at the club. I still like to hear those old songs about Oklahoma even though I'm not an Okie by birth.  The term OKIE was dubbed because of all of them that migrated to CA. during the "Dust Bowl".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1826 on: November 29, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
My ex wife's granma was from OK.  She said in her day bein called an Okie was just as bad as any other racial slur.  Sometimes when we'd be out in public she'd think she overheared someone sayin it an get real mad.  It took some convincin ta get her calmed down.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1827 on: November 29, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
some of my mom's side of the family, Coles,  went out there, some of em came back years later, several of em stayed and prospered,  they have a big Cole gathering  every summer out by Medesto.  I think my Uncle said last year there were 400 -500 people there.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1828 on: November 29, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »
That's where they shot American Grafitti.  You can still recognize alot of it from the movie.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1829 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
I was out there years ago to see their farms,  I think there's only one of the ones I know still alive, one of my Mom's cousins.  years and years ago, he and his mother would come back to visit my grandmother,  he used to come ever year back to Oklahoma and visit, guess he got just too old to make the trip.   Bullet Cole was his name,  don't remember what his real first name was, never heard em call him anything but Bullet,  he raised onions and what ever other vegatables, just outside Dos Palace

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1830 on: November 29, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »
OT, Gene just sang Oklahoma Hills on my tune box, (Radio cut)  Also told me to chew Wrigleys Spearmint gum. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1831 on: November 29, 2008, 04:44:29 PM »
Gene was born in Texas but spent a lot of time in Oklahoma before he became famous. They named a town after him and they have a museum for him and they have a Gene Autry festival every year.  One time when I was on a trip to LA, I went to the Western Heritage Museum that he opened. It was great.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1832 on: November 29, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
Gene was born in Texas but spent a lot of time in Oklahoma before he became famous. They named a town after him and they have a museum for him and they have a Gene Autry festival every year.  One time when I was on a trip to LA, I went to the Western Heritage Museum that he opened. It was great.

Bruce Dillman, the guy in charge of the feasable was a friend and customer till he passed on about two years ago.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1833 on: November 29, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
It's really not that far from here to go up there. I am ashamed to say that I have never been. I am planning to go this coming year, now that I'm retired. Del, Would you look at my signature and see if I got that Lyric from Ian's song right.The one we talked about at the Muster

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1834 on: November 29, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
I had no irons in the fire
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1835 on: November 29, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »
They have a Jamboree up there in June and a Film Festival and Cowboy poetry in September near Gene's Birthday(29th?).  It only takes a couple of hours to drive up there. I may go up there in June and September.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1836 on: November 30, 2008, 03:03:12 AM »
Ozark Traker

Do any of your Cole kin hail from the Mass. area? My real name is Anthony Cole. All my kin are from Lynn and Peabody Ma. My pappy was named Willard Cole, and he sorta "got around"

My daughter in law has done a lot of research and we got the Coles back to about 1780. And some of them were from New York...

small world.

Its a small world its a small small world......Now that tune will be stuck in yer head all day....

nite
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1837 on: November 30, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »
My real name is Bill Cole and I'm from Texas but have no relatives we ever talked about from Mass.

My great grand parents moved to Texas from Alabama, story is the earlier ones had moved there from Georiga and before that from Virginia.
There is a big family of Coles in Maryland so I'm told.

Really strange thing is Ozark Tracker and my family have the same picture of a relative.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1838 on: November 30, 2008, 05:58:19 AM »
Curley,  most of my Coles were in Missouri by the later 1800's then on in to Oklahoma by  the turn of the Century,  I don't remember any from Mass.

I remember reading in one of the books that my uncle researched, some of the first of our Coles, had a brother I think that was in New Jersey,  I'd have to get the book out to see for sure what the names and years were.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1839 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
OT, What part of Texas?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com