Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1187885 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #500 on: April 13, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
 :D  I had an Olsen in silver an brass.  Traded it fer a mandolin some years later  :o.  The Bach was a hot ticket but I think only one kids parents could afford it.  The one he had was all silver an man it sounded great.  Smooth valve action as well.

I got ta thinkin about Ten Years After earlier, so I had to pull it out an put it on.

Once there was a time I'd rob my mama
For a good meal and a smoke
Once there was a time I'd sell my brother
For a dollar when I was broke

But I'd never sell my guitar
And my strings were always sharp
'Cause if I don't have a guitar
I'll be strumming on some angels harp

And if I don't get to heaven
And I go down there below
Better be a guitar when I get there
Or, I will refuse to go

Once there was a time I was hungry
And I'd find my food in some bin
But I'd never, never sell my guitar
'Cause that would, darling, that would be a sin

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: April 13, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »
Mine was tu-tone, Leo. The Yamaha is silver plate, can't remember what the Severensen was. Think it was nickled.......Buck 8)
 My regular horn in school was a Reynolds, it replaced a Getzen student model..............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
Wait a minute  ???
     It wasn't an "Olsen" but an "Olds".  it was given to me by a friend of my fathers after I had learned on a rental an the folks had it refinished as a Christmas preasant.  My band teacher gave me an ancient Harmon mute for the swing band an I used a toilet plunger head fer a wah mute in Dixieland band.  It worked great fer "Frankie and Johnny" an "St James Infirmiry".

I haven't thought about this stuff in YEARS  ;)

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #503 on: Today at 09:37:54 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »
Mine was tu-tone, Leo. The Yamaha is silver plate, can't remember what the Severensen was. Think it was nickled.......Buck 8)
 My regular horn in school was a Reynolds, it replaced a Getzen student model..............Buck 8)

The Severinson Model was Sterling Silver (plated.)

Olds was a BIG seller around here, Leo.

My clarinet is an oddity.  I wanted the new Mark 10 Selmer from Paris.  I also wanted the Sterling keys and such like my teacher, Mr. Achille Rossi.  Went to the Selmer factory here in Indiana (Saxes and horns made here, Oboes & Clarinets in Paris) but they didn't have any 10s with Sterling.  I was crushed.  I was trying out several horns when I spied a rack over in the corner and one of the 20 or so clarinets on the rack had tarnished keys.  ONLY Sterling or pure, not nickel, tarnishes.  I said to the representative - "What about that one?"  He said, "It's used - but good.  I'll have it taken into the factory and made ready and we'll check it out after lunch."  That THEY bought.  (This was pretty heady stuff for a 17 year old!)  To make a long story short, this was the prototype horn that they made which became the Mark 10 horns.  It had a big bore with a big, rich tone - not equaled by the Mark 10s, by the way.  I won't bore ya with details, but among other things, it's serial #4.  (There WAS no 1,2 or 3)   I've met 4 professional musicians who've heard about MY horn - it got something of a reputation for outstanding quality while it was being tested.  I still have it and have toyed with selling it - but even 'tho I quit playing back in '72, I can't bear to part with it, and none of my kids was interested in it much.  I could probably buy a Shiloh Sharps (or 2) if I ever decide to sell it!  It deserves a real good home, Not some run-of-the-mill rich kid, though - which is why I haven't tried to sell it.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:02 AM »
I don't blame you one bit................Buck 8)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: April 14, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »
Sounds like one fine liquerice stick Steel.
     I've notcied sentimentality over instruments is about the same as good guns (even though I traded the Olds).  It's hard ta let em go an when they do, you have ta know it's the RIGHT home.

Leo

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: April 14, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
I don't blame you one bit................Buck 8)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like one fine liquorice stick Steel.
     I've noticed sentimentality over instruments is about the same as good guns (even though I traded the Olds).  It's hard ta let em go an when they do, you have ta know it's the RIGHT home.

Leo

Yep!  I also still have my Dad's Buscher "Reedcutter" Tenor Sax.  I always wanted to play it - and can, to a point, but ...
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: April 14, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
My best friend back then and to this day played clarinet and tenor sax.
     It was cool cause both our horns were in B flat (alto sax is in E or A or sumpthin) an we could jam together lookin at the same piece of music whithout transposin.  He don't play anymore either but we still spend hours on the phone talkin music.  :)

Leo

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
My best friend back then and to this day played clarinet and tenor sax.
     It was cool cause both our horns were in B flat (alto sax is in E or A or sumpthin) an we could jam together lookin at the same piece of music whithout transposin.  He don't play anymore either but we still spend hours on the phone talkin music.  :)

Leo

Ahhh ... good times.  Music makes most of life ... bearable.  ;)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: April 14, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »
It's in E, Leo ::) the tenors are in b-flat as are clarinets and the normal trumpets/coronets. My wife plays flute/piccolo, and is still active via her school alumni band. They do parades and concerts during the summer. I also have a spare horn, but can't remember what brand it is at the moment. Probably dates back to the '50's I think..........Buck 8) ;)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #510 on: April 14, 2008, 11:58:17 AM »
Fun theme we've hit here  :D

Easy question fer y'all.  Who sang about a gal who dreamed she received a diamond car with platinum wheels? ;D
That was a great band.

It's in E, Leo ::) the tenors are in b-flat as are clarinets and the normal trumpets/coronets. My wife plays flute/piccolo, and is still active via her school alumni band. They do parades and concerts during the summer. I also have a spare horn, but can't remember what brand it is at the moment. Probably dates back to the '50's I think..........Buck 8) ;)

Buck,
    I recalled it being one of the two.  Flute/piccolo is in concert C right?  I used ta know all this stuff. :-[  It's good yer wife is still active.  The flute is a great instrument.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: April 14, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
Steel
Great story, I wouldn't sell it either, about being sentimental over instruments:

I have a Yamaki acoustic guitar that I bought in 1971..after I broke my old one in an argument with the ex wife (part of the reason she is the ex) anyways, I got that guitar for $100 (my house payment at the time was only $150...) anyways I had pro musicians play it and say it was the closest thing to a Martin that Japan had ever put out....I had the action set at the old Fret House in W. Covina anyways fast foward to last year. It started to fuzz...took  to local music store with decent repair reputation, guy gave it back only saying "its not worth fixin"...I started to foam at the mouth. Took it to the Fret House, and their service guy is even older than I am...said Well, he is right...but gave me and explaination. This guy even knew the kind of glue the Japanese used back then. long story short, he said that it was a fish based glue and would only last about 30 years, and would cost about %500 to fix if i could find a luthier that would do it...He said I got my moneys worth, and on a good dry day, it still played hot...

That guitar has lasted me thrui 3 marriages and a host of other things...It still looks great, and most days plays way better than I can.....

Well, that is my story for the day

Good shootin and playin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
And a good story at that  :)
     I remeber havin ta put little folded up pieces of paper in the head nut of my first guitar to stop it from buzzing or to use a slide.  I since gave that one to my Dad and his local music shop owner says it's a great guitar.  I paid (you guessed it) 100 bucks fer that one.  Can't remember the brand name, but it weren't one of the big ones.  Got a Fender DG now and am way out of practice.  Keep tellin maself (an the wife) that if I get my hands on a resonator the desire will come flooding back ;D

Leo 

Roland Deschain

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: April 14, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
I had a Martin D18 from around the time I was 19 up until about 1998, roughly 28 years.  Had some problems and hadn't played it in years, wound up selling it for twice what I paid for it.  Nowadays I kinda regret doing it.  I am thinking about picking up a Yamaha acoustic to plink around on.  I have a cheap electric that I pull out of the closet every once in a while.  I am so out of practice my fingers start to hurt after a few songs.  That Martin and what I could play at the time got me into quite a few parties and free food and drink to boot. 
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
I had a Martin D18 from around the time I was 19 up until about 1998, roughly 28 years.  Had some problems and hadn't played it in years, wound up selling it for twice what I paid for it.  Nowadays I kinda regret doing it.  I am thinking about picking up a Yamaha acoustic to plink around on.  I have a cheap electric that I pull out of the closet every once in a while.  I am so out of practice my fingers start to hurt after a few songs.  That Martin and what I could play at the time got me into quite a few parties and free food and drink to boot. 

;D ;D ;D
     Guitars have a way of doin that fer ya.  I didn't really hit my stride until I got inta Travis picking.  Started with an obsession of learning "The Chain" as played by Lindsey Buckingham.  You could easily get tableture off the innernet then and that was the first I copied along with some Travis basics.
     I know what ya mean about the left hand fingers gettin sore.  My callouses have long since worn away.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
I played the trombone in HS. I still have it in the garage. Pull it out once in awhile to see if I can still play it. Can't hit the high and low notes like I used to 'cuz the lips are outta shape. ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
Right after high school, me and a pard used to go down and sit on the beach and play and sing (he played and sang better, I just sorta backed him up) for the girls....sometimes they would feed us, some times they would even take us home...

Slim, I played the trombone briefly in 8th grade. couldnt reach 7 position, and I would take my shoe of and pull the slide out...bandmaster told me I couldn't do that, I said why not wasn't plannin on playin in the marchin band...end of that career.

When the Yamaki went down, I got a Brownsville acoustic, and then my dad gave me the Sigma I helped him pick out in 1988 after my mom died...sweet guitar...

soon as I get retired, gonna try to hit a few licks, maybe go try singin on the beach again........hehehe

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #517 on: April 15, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »
Well the only thing I can play is a jaw harp. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »
I played Safety ‘n right field………..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »
Can ya hum a few bars , Arcey? ;D 8) ::) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com