Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1191179 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #480 on: April 11, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
Hey Tex.
     My Great Uncle Joe was a B 17 tailgunner.  I inherited his dogtags an carry em in my pocket everyday fer luck.  He flew missions over North Africa chasin Rommel around an then on in to Europe.  His brother Nick was a tank driver and covered the same territory all the way to Berlin.  Both made it back and were large influences in my life growing up. 

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: April 11, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
An no, the upper chain is not original but the short one is.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
He was a self taught mechanic most of his adult life. We had a wrecking yard and wrecker service along with the garage.  Later on we had a body shop, an auto parts store, a radiator shop, and a battery and electric shop.  He was elected sheriff of our county just before he turned 50. He was Sheriff for almost 9 years before he died of cancer.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #483 on: Today at 05:15:01 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #483 on: April 11, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
litl rooster, here is those lyrics I told you about this mornin' the guy who name will not be mentioned, but the one with the whinny wife. ::)

If the boy would do more like this and less of the poop he's done up till now I might even decide I like his music, course he didn't write it.  He'd have to also give up them straw hats spray painted black with Krylon. :-X

just walked in and you were gone
To your Mama’s I suppose
It looks like you won’t be back so I thought you ought to know
I found that note you left today it only took you half a page
I’m gonna grab my old guitar take a pencil from the jar and fill in the empty space

I’m gonna tell you how I feel, straight up genuine and real
Open a bottle of ninety proof and write a song for you like Kristofferson would do

In each line you’re gonna hear it’s my fault and I miss you
I know it won’t be in time it may not even rhyme
But it has to be is true

Open a bottle of ninety proof and write a song for you like Kristofferson would do

I’m gonna drink this bottle of ninety proof and sing this song for you
Like Kristofferson would do
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

I think I'm going to get one for "Special" matches. ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: April 11, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »

I think I'm going to get one for "Special" matches. ;D ;D

Call my work #, but use extension 179 instead. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
'S far as I know we already got two tiny tims.  One played the you-ka-lay-lee an the other had a crutch  ;D

God bless us every one.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
Don't them black straw hats get hot in the summer and under all them lights on stage, maybe it cooked his brain.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
TLD, My Dad was at Kasserine Pass. 19th Army Engineers. That was a nasty one for the U.S., but at least Ike decided to remove some of the ineffective commanders because of it...............Buck 8) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »
I've heard this song the last couple of times I've went to town.  it always makes me think  how much things have changed through the years.

Well, I grew up wild and free
Walkin' these fields in my barefeet
There wasn't no place I couldn't go
With a .22 rifle and a fishin' pole

Well, I live in the city but don't fit in
You know it's a pity the shape I'm in
Well, I got no home and I got no choice
Oh, Lord, have mercy on a country boy

When I was young I remember well
I'd hunt the wild turkey and bobwhite quail
The river was clear and deep back then
Had fishin' lines tied to the willow limb

Well, they damned the river, they damned the stream
They cut down the Cyprus and the Sweetgum trees
There's a laundromat and a barbershop
And now the whole meadow is a parking lot

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »
Only sonata's I know are Bach and Brahms, oh yeah, the Kia's.That thing had to be done in the '70's, and how many of us even remember them? Only things I can think of that'd maybe be that long is The Who's rock opera "Tommy" or maybe Pink Floyd's "THe Wall"...............Buck 8) ::) :o

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »
Don fergett Quadrophinia Buck...Much better than Tommy.

OT, that song sounds alot like the town I grew up in.  Don't even visit anymore cause I get lost.

We seem ta be at a stalemate with the current game.  It definately is the stumper.  If anybody wants an easier chicken ta catch, I left a clue a few pages back 'bout another whole album song.  There are deviding grooves in the record but no "real" names fer the tracks. HINT I guess we can read about it in the paper.  Hope they don edit anything  ;)

Roland Deschain

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
Well, I guess "the Stumper" it is.  I thought this ol' former Music Ed major and DJ might be able to get ya.  But I'm easy to stump, too - with some of the bluesy and folk bands - and country from back then.  I had have pretty odd and varied tastes in music.  I can happily listen to:  Herb Alpert, Classical - 'specially Bach, Big Band, Cream/Iron Butterfly/ELP/Styx, Led Zeppelin. Frank Zappa!!, Alabama, Salsa, did I mention Cream??, Eagles, Marching Bands, Barbershop quartets (SPEBSQSA), Alan Parsons, (some/most) Pink Floyd, the Association, Blood-Sweat & Tears, Chicago ... and so on, ad nauseum.  ;)

The "stumper" group's name was:

Zazu.

I'm plannin' on takin' a picture of the album cover jus so's  y'all don't think I wuz pullin' yer laigs!  This weren't NO local band, either - that none would have known about.  They actually toured as the lead-in band for some big name groups.

If ya like the early Styx and ELP sound, you'd likely like Zazu.  All my buddies back then did.  And still do!  Zazu were rockers who obviously had some classical and jazz training along the way.   Like me.  ('Tho the only money I ever made at playing was classical music. Twice.  ;) )
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: April 13, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »
SHB, Your tastes run like mine. Rap is definately off my list, as well as some of the newer stuff they've got out now. Love the Big Band stuff, played that in my younger days as a lead trumpet. Not enough wind now, plus the lip is pretty flabby ::) :o..........................Buck 8) ;)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: April 13, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
SHB, Your tastes run like mine. Rap is definately off my list, as well as some of the newer stuff they've got out now. Love the Big Band stuff, played that in my younger days as a lead trumpet. Not enough wind now, plus the lip is pretty flabby ::) :o..........................Buck 8) ;)

Buck, I played first chair horn in a Big Band in Jr High. 
     Second chair always got the solos but loved hitting that last note in "In the Mood".  I don't do nomore either--got lost in the guitar.

Steel, ya just described my record collection  ;D  I've got a Herb Albert & the Tiajuana Brass "Going Places" with a picture of hime in a bi-plane on the cover.  I think its right next to the Ten Years After  ;)  (Alvin Lee was somethin else!)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: April 13, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »

My best buddy in HS was the 1st chair trumpet.  He had a beautiful Getzen trumpet.  The Doc Severinson Model.  We (our band) had the great pleasure/honor of playing a concert with Doc as the featured guest!  It was cool!  Dennis (my pard) got to do a trio with Doc!  I wished I played trumpet that day, not clarinet!

Buck, I played first chair horn in a Big Band in Jr High. 
     Second chair always got the solos but loved hitting that last note in "In the Mood".  I don't do nomore either--got lost in the guitar.

Steel, ya just described my record collection  ;D  I've got a Herb Albert & the Tiajuana Brass "Going Places" with a picture of him in a bi-plane on the cover.  I think its right next to the Ten Years After  ;)  (Alvin Lee was somethin else!)

Leo

Leo - please 'splain sumpthin' ... around here us 1st chairs got the solos - your 2nd chairs got them?  Nuttin' wrong wid that, just dif'rent, IMHO.  Our 2nd chair (Stanley) was nearly as good as my pal Dennis, so he often got featured.  Like playing as #3 in the trio with Doc S!

;D ;D ;D  Yep!  Ive got BOTH albums - and more!  (I sure remember the cover to HA's Whipped Cream and Other Delights album!!   A classic!)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: April 13, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
All that cover needed was crushed pecans and a cherry!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: April 13, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
If I remember it had a crimson red background.  Gal was brunette.  Very nice pose  ;)

Steel,  most big band sheet music has 2nd trumpet as the soloist.  I was told the idea was to let the 1st save his chops.  It bummed me out after doin all that work an we usualy switched around ta make it fair.  I got to do the solo in "String of Pearls" when we recorded it.  I had just got braces and it weren't so good.  :(  The wife loves listenen to it anyway, but she is biased.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
CD player just tossed this one out from the early 70's, MMM is the are-teeeest. ;D

Well they put Geronimo in jail down south
Where he couldn't look the gift horse in the mouth
Sergeant, sergeant, don't you feel
There's something wrong with that automobile
Governor, governor, isn't it strange
They didn’t have no cars on the Indian range
Warden, warden, please listen to me
Be brave and set Geronimo free

Whoa boys, take me back
I want to ride in Geronimo's Cadillac
Whoa boys, take me back
Let me ride, let me ride

Warden, warden, don't you know
Prisoners have no place to go
They took old Geronimo by storm
Ripped off the feathers from his uniform

Jesus tells me I believe its true
The red man is in the sunset too
Took all his land, now they won't give it back
And they sent Geronimo a Cadillac

Whoa boys, take me back
Whoa boys, take me back
Let me ride, let me ride
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
SHB, I got to play the Doc model for a little while when my regular horn was being refinished. Mine wasn't anywhere's near the caliber of that.(Bore was too small, I kept overblowing it). The hot horns at that time were the Conn 360's and Bach Stradavarious. I had a Stradi for awhile after I was working on my own and married. It was a large bore, no way I could over blow it, plus it had such a dark rich tone. I absolutly loved that horn, but family finances got in the way and I had to sell it. I still miss that thing ::) :-\ I've got a Pro-grade Yamaha here now that's a little dinged up, but plays fine. Just doesn't have that rich, dark tone ::)My SIL has a Bach coronet that she picked up used two years ago, not the same grade as a Stradi, but a nice instrument nonetheless. One of these days I hope to find a good used Stradi and am able to snap it up.
 Leo, I did String of Pearls, too. Picked up the Bobby Hacket solo off of a Glen Gray album. Took me a little time and a lot of writing down as I wasn't an ad-libber. Got to use it a few times at dances. Had a nice solo on Stormy Weather and Clyde McCoy's Sugar Blues as well. My senior year, I had a solo in Fawcett Stadium for our home coming game, the Shadow of Your Smile from The Sand Pebbles. Two years after that while working afternoons at Hoover's, I had a younger girl come up to me after she found out that I was in the Timken Band. I mentioned the solo and she said she remembered it. Thought it was a really good one ;D My hat didn't fit for about two weeks ;D...............Buck 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com