Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Dog gone it, I saw in the paper where Howard got something like $12,000 for repair oif their swimming pool.
But I don't recall Elk Kon-nected being mentioned in the article!
Did i miss something?
What is with that?
No Elk Kon-nected ?

dutch

Ross, I do get SOOOO tired of you referring and insinuating to the pool in Howard as it just being only a Howard facility. It is there and for those from all over the county area to use. I know for a fact that youngsters from all over the area get or have gotten swim lessons there in years past as well as this summer.

I grew up here when there was no pool in the county. We youngsters would have to go to Eureka or Sedan to swim safely. Thank goodness many in the area went on a drive to get money and donations to build the pool. I darn near drowned in Elk River back in the early 60s and thank goodness Joe Hebb was a great swimmer and he saved me.It was a great feeling to send my sons to pool lessons in Howard so they had proper swimming lessons in a safe environment. The kids in their classes came from all over. East, west, north and south so it's not just a Howard thing. The fact that many have learned to swim in the pool just may have saved more than a few from drowning is some creek, river, pond or lake.

I do help support the pool and am very glad that we have it available for all in the area that want to use it. Reflecting back I can name several easily recognized family names from ALL of the towns in Elk County plus some from Severy, Piedmont and even Belknap, Fiat and Busby area that have used this fine facility.
As we dwindle in population, we certainly don't need more division of the communities in the area by inferring that the pool is just a Howard thing. Nuff said! 

frawin

Great Post Dutch, when I Was growing up in Howard, we went swimming at the old Dam, South of Town and the Low water Bridge West of Town, or anyone of a number of Farm Ponds.it was really dangerous, there was someone that Drowned somewhere around Howard in the 50s. Another bad problem was the risk of, Disease, Polio, Typhoid and several others, none of which were good. The fund that the Money came from was from Money left by the late Edith Benson, she was a Piano teacher and Played the Organ and Piano in Church. When I delivered Newspapers, I could hear her Playing, many times. You are right Dutch, that the Pool was Built in Howard for anyone to enjoy, People from anywhere, as much as I hate say it, OBUMA would be Welcome to swim in it, well maybe not Welcomed but would be allowed to.

Ross

Quote from: dutch on December 01, 2015, 05:24:24 AM
Ross, I do get SOOOO tired of you referring and insinuating to the pool in Howard as it just being only a Howard facility. It is there and for those from all over the county area to use. I know for a fact that youngsters from all over the area get or have gotten swim lessons there in years past as well as this summer.

Quote from: frawin on December 01, 2015, 05:56:36 AM
Great Post Dutch,

What is so great about his post? Where in my post did I refer or insinuate anything about who owns the pool?

Dutch, I am SOOOO sorry you are SOOOO tired of me referring and insinuating to the pool in Howard as it just being only a Howard facility! But would you please show me in my post where that happened?

Here I quote the post just for your convience:
Quote from: ROSS on November 30, 2015, 10:19:58 PM
Dog gone it, I saw in the paper where Howard got something like $12,000 for repair oif their swimming pool.
But I don't recall Elk Kon-nected being mentioned in the article!
Did i miss something?
What is with that?
No Elk Kon-nected ?

I was asking why Elk Kon-nected, was not mentioned in the newspaper article !

But since you made it a point, a point about the Howard swimming pool being a facility, lets look at that point a little closer, Okay!

The Definition of a facility is space or equipment necessary for doing something.

In this case a swimming pool owned and operated by the city of Howard, Kansas and located in Howard, Kansas.

The City of Howard charges property owners, property taxes to pay their bills and to maintain their city streets and to pay for facility maintenance and to provide other city services!

The Howard City Pool as it is, "called" by the City on their web site is a Howard Facility, very simple!
Quote from Howard, Kansas web site:
Howard City Pool
541 South Pennsylvania
Howard, Kansas 67349
http://www.cityofhoward.org/CityGovernment/SwimmingPool.aspx

Sure it's open to the public to use for a price to enter it ! It is not a free service, now is it?

But being a public use facility does not make it an Elk County facility making it everyone's in the County's responsibility to maintain it, now does it?

Where was the responsibility of the Howard City Government pr Council to budget part of their taxes and monies charged for swimming in the pool to be used for maintenance of the pool.

Tossing the drowning fear factor in to the mix was a nice play.
But drowning can happen anywhere.

I was raised in Independence where there was a very large swimming pool at the time and many people as well as myself chose to walk right by it and go swimming in the Verdigris River. And many times I went to the Montgomery State Lake 5 miles south of Independence.

And basically here in Elk County the same thing is still happening! A lot of people prefer to go to the creeks and ponds and lakes.
Why?

Perhaps because they are free, perhaps because the swimming spot is closer to home!
There could be any number of reasons they chose the ponds and lake and creeks over a swimming pool. Perhaps there is a rope hanging from a limb over the swimming area!
Perhaps because they can have a small fire for BBQ'ing or just have a picnic!
Some people like to Jet Ski or go fishing and go swimming as well.
Or perhaps they can have a larger group of people and feel more comfortable outside of the fence of the swimming pool.

So Dutch do you really think these people, that perhaps never use the Howard Swimming pool, should be held financially responsible for it's maintenance and upkeep and repair?

Is that your point?

It really is a Howard City facility and a Howard City responsibility isn't it?

On the other hand Howard continues to refer to West Elk USD-282 as Howard West Elk,
as if it is a Howard facility! Could you please explain to me why?

Why deny the facility owned and operated by the City of Howard and yet refer to West Elk USD-282
as Howard West Elk?  Howard West Elk USD-282 sits in the middle of Howard, as a decommissioned old
building ready to crater!  They haven't torn down the blight on Howard yet, have they?

In closing I'd shall repeat the issue you have brought up and express my opinion and ask for your opinion in the form of a couple of questions!
Ross, I do get SOOOO tired of you referring and insinuating to the pool in Howard as it just being only a Howard facility.

Although, I never said anything in my post of
Quote from: ROSS on November 30, 2015, 10:19:58 PM
about it being only a Howard facility, I will once again in the post state that fact.exactly!
The Howard Swimming Pool (facility) is owned and operated by the City of Howard, Kansas!

It is there and for those from all over the county area to use. I know for a fact that youngsters from all over the area get or have gotten swim lessons there in years past as well as this summer.

I assume since it is open to the public for a price per person that a person from New York City would be welcome to spend their money at the Howard City Pool, right?
Would you then tell them they are responsibility for the cost of the repair of the pool?

I am not at all against the Howard Swimming Pool, I think it is a great thing for those that want to use a swimming pool.  But I also would not advocate that people across the County should be branded as responsible for it's maintenance, upkeep and repairs.

Simply place responsibility where responsibility lies.

dutch

Maintenance, upkeep,repairs and new equipment are all part of facilities that get used or aged. I know people that don't have a drivers license or drive on the public roads, however they pay taxes to use the roadways. There are those that have never used a city or county ambulance or firetrucks but they have paid taxes on the service for decades.

There is however an little known alcohol tax that goes into the county as a special recreation fund. This tax accumulates and over time gets to be fairly large. Cities throughout Elk County have tapped into this fund for parks equipment, etc. I have no idea if Elk Connected has ever gotten funds from this source and will not take the time and effort to find out if they have. The point is that some of the drinkers don't use facilities that their taxes go to fund. It would not bother me in the least if the fund was tapped to help with the pool. That's just the way it is in America.

Since it was brought up, for the record, my diploma clearly says West Elk USD 282, and it is from the 60s. This post is my last on this topic lest I get branded as a Keyboard Kommando, or worse yet...an idiot. LOL. See ya!

frawin

Dutch, no one thinks you are an Idiot, in fact I like your Posts, and I know others on the Forum that do. Keep on Posting. I don't know who you are, but I really like your style.

frawin

Dutch, as I said, I don't know who you are, but I like your style. Ross I liked Dutch's post, because I agreed with what he said and my bet is most of the People on the Forum agree with me. You are just Nitpicking, I don't see where anyone said that you said who owns the Pool. The fact is that the Taxpayers of the City of Howard own the Pool. Why was it necessary to have Elk Konnected mentioned in your Post, Elk Konnected is your Term, for Making all kinds of comments about people mainly all over Elk County, some of your comments in the past were Rude and Abusive. A big THANK YOY to Teressa and Kjell for putting a stop to that. Ross, again you are Nitpicking, I think everyone on the Forum, knows a Drowning can happen anywhere.
Some people prefer to go to Ponds, Rivers and Lakes, to save Money, have great fun, like at the Old Dam, South of Howard, I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a Cable tied way up in a Tree next to the Bank, there was an old Steering Wheel tied to it, you could swing way out over the Water and drop in, what fun and a great thrill. At the Low Water Bridge West of Howard, you could Wash your Vehicle on the Dam, and Swim in the Creek, Some people, not me, would swim Naked if there were no Ladies around.
Ross all property owners, in Howard, pay Taxes, and I am sure most of them do it Gladly.
Ross you and I have discussed before why West Elk is Referred to as Howard west Elk, The School is right at the edge of Howard, what would you have it referred to, Ross West Elk, Eureka West ELk. What Dutch is saying, is it is a Howard Facility because that is where it is located, again, I think you are Nitpicking, but as I have said several times on the Forum, "to each his own". As far as your comment about a Person From New York City being responsible for the Repairs, upkeep and cost of the Lifeguards, they are paying for the cost and repairs when they pay to swim. Well I have rambled enough.

frawin

Wow, I didn't think my first post got posted so I made some changes and posted it again. Sorry if I bored anyone, you can read both and decide which one you like the best. As I have said many times, this old age ain't for SISSIES. Have a good day.

Ross

Quote from: dutch on December 01, 2015, 10:22:09 AM
Maintenance, upkeep,repairs and new equipment are all part of facilities that get used or aged. I know people that don't have a drivers license or drive on the public roads, however they pay taxes to use the roadways. There are those that have never used a city or county ambulance or firetrucks but they have paid taxes on the service for decades.

The real point is not who uses it, but who owns it, and who is responsible for it.

There is however an little known alcohol tax that goes into the county as a special recreation fund. This tax accumulates and over time gets to be fairly large. Cities throughout Elk County have tapped into this fund for parks equipment, etc. I have no idea if Elk Connected has ever gotten funds from this source and will not take the time and effort to find out if they have. The point is that some of the drinkers don't use facilities that their taxes go to fund. It would not bother me in the least if the fund was tapped to help with the pool. That's just the way it is in America.

No sir Dutch it is a well known fund. And the fund was being abused in my opinion and other peoples opinions by Elk Kon-nected. When Elk Kon-nectedasked the Kon-nected Kounty Kommissioners would not recuse themselves ! And since there were two of them voting yes and only one Commissioner voting no, Elk Kon-nectedgot what ever money they want.

However there came a time when the tables were turned and there was only on Konnected Kounty Kommissioner and it was voted to divide the money up proportionally by population and given to each Community. So Howard has been getting their fair share of the recreational money.

Since it was brought up, for the record, my diploma clearly says West Elk USD 282, and it is from the 60s. This post is my last on this topic lest I get branded as a Keyboard Kommando, or worse yet...an idiot. LOL. See ya!

That is all well and good and I am proud you got your diploma.

However the KSDE web site shows the dilapidated building in Howard as officially Howard West Elk and gives it's address. They also show new Howard West Elk as being just outside the city limits of Howard. There in lies the reason it is not Howard West Elk and the one in the center of Howard was labeled as Howard West Elk by KSDE. I can't seem to find the right web page for this information right now. I suppose they may delete or change out dated information like any other web site.

Thanks for your response.

Ross

Quote from: frawin on December 01, 2015, 11:41:02 AM
Dutch, as I said, I don't know who you are, but I like your style.

Good job frawin, good job!

Ross I liked Dutch's post, because I agreed with what he said and my bet is most of the People on the Forum agree with me.

There is just simply no way to know how many of the 2,655 (2013 census) people of Elk County may or may not agree with you. So your point in saying that is moot! But you just like me, you are entitled to our own opinions, are we not?

You are just Nitpicking, I don't see where anyone said that you said who owns the Pool.
Ross, I do get SOOOO tired of you referring and insinuating to the pool in Howard as it just being only a Howard facility.

So who is nitpicking now?

The fact is that the Taxpayers of the City of Howard own the Pool.

That was my point in my post to dutch. Thank you for confirming and supporting my point.

Why was it necessary to have Elk Konnected mentioned in your Post, Elk Konnected is your Term, for Making all kinds of comments about people mainly all over Elk County, some of your comments in the past were Rude and Abusive. A big THANK YOY to Teressa and Kjell for putting a stop to that. Ross, again you are Nitpicking,

Apparently Teressa and Kjell didn't put a stop to your rudeness, did they?

How rude of you to be so nitpicking and making off the wall untrue statements and calling me nitpicking!

More about your nitpicking because I appreciate it. It provides an opportunity to make my point and express my opinions.

Sure, I admit some of my remarks in the past have been rude gut they were in response to even ruder remarks. Just as your remark of "nitpicking" is rude! I'm human too! And you too have made plenty of rude remarks.

You didn't know that Elk Kon-nected went to the Howard City Council and request permission to raise money for the swimming pool?

Elk Kon-nected is not my term, I can not take credit for being so imaginative, but thanks anyway. I did add a hyphen to it to indicate that I think the Kon-nection appears broken to me.

Elk Kon-nected is the creation of an organization here in Elk County called Elk Konnected, LLC.

And no it was not about people all over Elk County, it was all about in my opinion, as expressed in this thread, "The Old Guard" in a new dress and County Commissioners kon-nected to Elk Kon-nected.

You know what, I never heard you call joesue down for the extremely long list of extremely rude posts he or she made when he or she first came on the forum! Why is that?

I think everyone on the Forum, knows a Drowning can happen anywhere.

So then what was the point in dutch bringing up the point of drowning?

[quote author=frawin link=topic=11780.msg227656#msg227656 date=1448991662
Some people prefer to go to Ponds, Rivers and Lakes, to save Money, have great fun, like at the Old Dam, South of Howard, I don't know if it is still there but there used to be a Cable tied way up in a Tree next to the Bank, there was an old Steering Wheel tied to it, you could swing way out over the Water and drop in, what fun and a great thrill. At the Low Water Bridge West of Howard, you could Wash your Vehicle on the Dam, and Swim in the Creek, Some people, not me, would swim Naked if there were no Ladies around. [/quote]

This pretty much mirrors what I said, except for the nudity. LOL

Ross all property owners, in Howard, pay Taxes, and I am sure most of them do it Gladly.

I made the point about property taxes and how their taxes should be used in a financial manner for upkeep and maintenance and repairs of city owned property. However, I can not state whether or not the people pay property taxes GLADY or not! That is beyound my ability to know.

Ross you and I have discussed before why West Elk is Referred to as Howard west Elk, The School is right at the edge of Howard, what would you have it referred to, Ross West Elk, Eureka West ELk. What Dutch is saying, is it is a Howard Facility because that is where it is located, again, I think you are Nitpicking, but as I have said several times on the Forum, "to each his own".

Yes we have discussed the name before but you can not seem to accept it true name. And you won't let it go!
I would prefer it be referred to as what the State calls it, the name it was given!
KSDE calls the school West Elk Unified School District 282 or West Elk USD-282.
Reference: https://online.ksde.org/rcard/district.aspx?org_no=D0282
Posted at reference page:
USD 282
West Elk
PO Box 607
Howard,  KS    67349-0607   
(620) 374-2113    (620) 374-2414
Title 1 District   Show Buildings

It is outside the City of Howard unlike the old building that was built inside Howard city limits and therefore was called Howard West Elk.

I bet you don't recall Howard City Council considering moving their city limits out to encompass West Elk USD-383, do you?

As far as your comment about a Person From New York City being responsible for the Repairs, upkeep and cost of the Lifeguards, they are paying for the cost and repairs when they pay to swim. Well I have rambled enough.

That was an intended silly remark, to show the silliness of insinuating that some how all the citizens of Elk County should be responsible for the repairs of Howard's Swimming Pool, just because a few may actually swim there.

Thanks for pointing out that the few that do swim there are paying for the repairs through paying to swim there.

Oh, I went and read all 7 of  Dutch's post and 6 out of 7 were simply terrific, in my personal opinion.

This has been real fun, thanks again for the entertainment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk