Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Quote from: Mom70x7 on February 14, 2013, 08:50:11 PM
No, it's not anything to do with Elk Konnected.

Oh, how's that?
Today we have Elk Konnected on the school board, don't we?

When the Assembly of God church first proposed building on highway, they talked with the school board about building and using a gymnasium.

Is there any documentation of that?

This was discussed several years ago, even before the discussions about closing the Moline and Severy schools. A need for a second gym was seen back then.

By visionaries I suppose? Would that by chance be Elk Konnected visionaries?
I just couldn't help myself. Sorry!

Using the Assemblies building for sports activities is old news.

At the meeting, I attended it was recently discussed as new news.
Even the talk by the church people that night sound very new as if nobody knew what to expect. Discussions were about what appeared to be new concepts.

Because the Church of God building next to the school did not exists years ago.
Today it does exist.
Are you suggesting that the church was planning to build their new church based on doing business with the school district?

That's what it sounds like to me.

Are you a member of the Church of God and can speak on their behalf?

I'd sure like more information as I am sure everyone reading this would too!

More information might be beneficial to everyone.

Thanks.

Today is now.

Mom70x7

Ross -

Building the Assemblies of God church next to the school was discussed in school board meetings several years ago; I was attending the monthly meetings then.

Part of that discussion involved using the buildings as a second gym. To my recollection, no firm agreement was made, since the building was only in planning stages, but it was considered a win-win situation.

Whether or not it's in the minutes from those meetings, I couldn't say. I didn't always read the minutes since I had been at the meetings and knew first-hand what was discussed. Those meetings occurred several years before Elk Konnected came to Elk County.

Ross

No, it's not anything to do with Elk Konnected.

From a letter the Elk Konnected self proclaimed founder wrote:
"In early 2007, Elk County was experiencing some events that made a resident wonder "What is the future of Elk County"? With a county population of only 3000, one tiny town spends time and energy wanting to pull out of the county wide trash service."

How long had our then County Commissioner Hendricks been an employee at Public Squares Communities, and planning to bring Public Squares Communities here to Elk County?

So by those numbers and time frame Elk Konnected was probably in the planning stage sometime in 2006 and came about in 2007, right?

When the Assembly of God church first proposed building on highway, they talked with the school board about building and using a gymnasium. This was discussed several years ago, even before the discussions about closing the Moline and Severy schools. A need for a second gym was seen back then.

Posted on this forum

West Elk board proposes to close Severy and Moline schools
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:18 am »
By Rudy Taylor   http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,8968.0.html

Elk Konnected was around at least two years before the School Closing and as I recollect they held meetings about closing the schools. So for Elk Konnected to not be involved in those discussions most likely the discussions had to take place before 2007.

Now, why would anyone be thinking the West Elk School district would be needing another gymnasium before 2007 or even before December 2009?
When the school district had a gymnasium for the high school and only for the high school students and a gymnasium of sorts for the Moline Grade School and I'm not sure, but I assume a gymnasium of sorts at Severy. I just don't understand the why. Why would the Church of God would be thinking a gymnasium would be a consideration of the school District way back before Elk Konnected came about or way before any discussion of closing schools? Please explain?

Using the Assemblies building for sports activities is old news.

So, really it can't be old news, now can it?

And by the way I need to ask, isn't Elk Konnected made up of, what is commonly referred to as the elite? Which is simply a few merchants and a banker and a newspaper owner and wouldn't some of these people, if not all be involved in the situation, because they refer to themselves as leaders of the community?

Ma'am please, are you a member of the Church of God or Elk Konnected?

Mom70x7

Ross -

It was discussed even before then!

We've definitely needed an additional gym. For years, the wrestlers have used the cafeteria for practice. That's okay, except when there are dinners and meetings that also use the cafeteria. They take precedence and the wrestlers have either a shortened practice or no practice.

Scheduling basketball practices has always been difficult. Girls and boys can't practice at the same time in the gym, nor can junior and senior high practice at the same time. Practices have sometimes been scheduled in the evening. The Severy gym was used for practice.

Given that information, I'm aware that you probably still won't believe me. That's your choice. Not sure why I have to be a member of the Assemblies or Elk Konnected to have information that came from school board meetings.

Ross

Quote from: Mom70x7 on February 15, 2013, 07:38:04 AM
Ross -

It was discussed even before then!

We've definitely needed an additional gym. For years, the wrestlers have used the cafeteria for practice. That's okay, except when there are dinners and meetings that also use the cafeteria. They take precedence and the wrestlers have either a shortened practice or no practice.

Scheduling basketball practices has always been difficult. Girls and boys can't practice at the same time in the gym, nor can junior and senior high practice at the same time. Practices have sometimes been scheduled in the evening. The Severy gym was used for practice.

And all work well. We often have to adapt to our situations. Throwing more and more money at sports does not help with the initial reason for schools. It also does not bring the education level of the district to a Blue Ribbon School, being a Blue Ribbon School would bring state wide recognition of the excellence of it's education of all it's children. Which do you think would be more valuable to Elk County as a whole? Sports of Education?

Given that information, I'm aware that you probably still won't believe me. That's your choice. Not sure why I have to be a member of the Assemblies or Elk Konnected to have information that came from school board meetings.

No one suggested you had to be a member of anything. I only asked if you are a member of ElK Konnected or the Church of God.
If you are a member of the Church we could better understand more of what you tell us.
So, are you a member of the Church?
Are you a member of Elk Konnected?

Now to get it correct, I need to ask, because I am confused.
The school district refers to the church as COG, which I take to mean Church of God.
You refer to the church as the Assemblies, which I take to mean the Assembly of God Church.
Which is it or what do the two different names mean?
I truly am confused.
Does the church go by the two different names?

And I am wondering why the church would be interested years ago, in discussions with the school board about gymnasiums, was it because, if they lease to the school they could then better afford to build such an expensive building/church?
Was that money a factor in building the church?

I am just trying to get the whole picture, after all if the church is dealing with our publicly owned school district the taxpayers should be made fully aware of all negations and circumstances, openly and honestly, don't you agree?

Knowledge and understanding by the tax paying public that will be providing money to the church as lease money is their business and shouldn't be left out of the loop, again don't you agree?

Openness and honesty simply avoids scandals like the Catholic Church have and are facing.
We wouldn't want anything like that here in Elk County would we?
Or even any chance of suggesting it either would we?

Mom70x7

Ross -

Everything has been open and honest, except in your opinions.

My information has been obtained at school board meetings I attended.

The Assemblies of God church is being built as they have the funds. That's why it's taking as long as it is. If they have money, they build and/or work on it. If there's no money, then they don't work on it. There have been volunteers from other churches across the United States that have come and helped work on the church, but it's a pay-as-you-go project.

That's also been discussed in public and reported in the newspapers in the area.

There's no sinister plot to any of this.

Janet Harrington

Ross,

Get a grip. This is the Flint Hills Assembly of God. It has NEVER been the Church of God. It has always been FLINT HILLS ASSEMBLY OF GOD. This church has never gone by any other name. I have no idea where you came up with that.

greatguns

Chautauqua County did not go to the Winfield paper for their official paper.

Ross

Quote from: Mom70x7 on February 15, 2013, 05:49:50 PM
Ross -

Everything has been open and honest, except in your opinions.

My information has been obtained at school board meetings I attended.

Really? It sounds in the next paragraph you also know church information that has nothing to do with the school board. Which is just fine. I mean the churches financial concerns outside of dealing with the school district is of no concern to me or any other tax payer. However, any one involved in dealing with the school district or money's that may ve paid to the church by the school district is considered public information and should be fully disclosed to the public via the school board. After all it is our money, the taxpayers money! Entrusted to the school board.

I had not heard of anything about this situation until recently and have only asked a few simple questions. And when you suggested that talks have been going on with the school board as far back before Elk Konnected (early 2007) of course that would raise questions? That was before the school district closed the grade schools and before the grade school was re-located to West Elk.

That was way before even the ground breaking for the church. What is that seven (7) years to ground breaking?

I am so sorry you take offense at a few honest questions?

The Assemblies of God church is being built as they have the funds. That's why it's taking as long as it is. If they have money, they build and/or work on it. If there's no money, then they don't work on it. There have been volunteers from other churches across the United States that have come and helped work on the church, but it's a pay-as-you-go project.

I am truly happy for the church to be able to build such an impressive building, don't take me wrong. And their finances to do so are of no concern to me. Just as the church in Moline that burnt to the ground, I am equally happy for them being able to rebuild. And their finances to do so are of no interest to me either.

That's also been discussed in public and reported in the newspapers in the area.

If that is information about rebuilding the church, that is not what is being discussed here.

There's no sinister plot to any of this.

And no one is suggesting anything sinister.
But when the school board is involved spending taxpayers dollars anything that takes place is public information and should be disclosed open and honestly.
For instance are any of the school board members, members of the church or have other connections with the church?
If they are or do, will they recuse themselves as unqualified to perform legal duties of school board member because of a possible conflict of interest?
Another question is, what will it cost the school district and the taxpayers to lease the church?
Will the school board ask for approval of the taxpayers to take this action?

You see the school board meeting minutes leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

And yes, I do believe a few of the school board members read this forum and this thread, especially the Konnected ones. So, I feel certain that my questions are falling on the proper ears.

Why not write minutes that are much more informative? And make the attachments referred to in the agenda available with the minutes on the school district web site along with the minutes?

I think this could be easily accomplished with the extensive computer updates at West Elk, especially if the school board truly wants an informed public and taxpayers. They could also use the computers to record the meetings and poet them for people that are unable to attend for whatever reason.

What would be so terrible to move into the 21st Century?

Thank You for reading my opinions.

Ross

Quote from: Janet Harrington on February 15, 2013, 06:19:10 PM
Ross,

Get a grip. This is the Flint Hills Assembly of God. It has NEVER been the Church of God. It has always been FLINT HILLS ASSEMBLY OF GOD. This church has never gone by any other name. I have no idea where you came up with that.

There was no call for the remark, "Get a grip."
Just like the attempt at setting me up, there was no call for that either.
If you would have simply read, the previous posts.

Please re-read:

Quote from: Ross on February 15, 2013, 08:48:03 AM

Now to get it correct, I need to ask, because I am confused.
The school district refers to the church as COG, which I take to mean Church of God.
You refer to the church as the Assemblies, which I take to mean the Assembly of God Church.
Which is it or what do the two different names mean?
I truly am confused.
Does the church go by the two different names?

To clarify further for you the School Board used COG in their Agenda, see how things can get confusing! Or does COG as used in the agenda connected with the building next to the school mean something else? I did ask one of the people during the tour of the building and was told it meant Church of God. So correct me if I am wrong for asking. But forget the "Get a grip." comment because it adds nothing to the conversation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk