Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire Elk

Quote from: Ross on September 19, 2012, 07:34:45 PM
But anyway they are going to have a Dessert Walk to raise money, I think that is a lot better then begging, don't you.
Although it does promote a form of gambling, doesn't it?

"We have a carnival every year. We are trying to figure out a good way to do the cakewalk, besides the normal way of walking in a circle and landing on a number. We have been told we can't do this because it is considered a game of chance and that is considered gambling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this."

http://www.ptotoday.com/boards/17-fundraising/80911-carnival-cakewalk

A gambling definition.
http://christianlibrary.org/authors/Marvin_L_Weir/christliv/gambling.htm

My theory is that you are donating money to the Dessert Walk and don't expect anything in return. The fact that someone may win a dessert is just fun. Is Ross being overly dramatic or is he technically correct. If he is technically correct do you consider the dessert walk to be wrong?

KEEP THE BATTLEFRONT CLEAR PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Ross

Quote from: Fire Elk on September 20, 2012, 04:17:42 PM
Is Ross being overly dramatic or is he technically correct. If he is technically correct do you consider the dessert walk to be wrong?

Ross ia just being a common sense redneck. By the way I was raised in the Conservative Kansas of the 1950's. Before the influx of organizations and the greed of organized gambling and honesty was abundant. During a time when nobody wanted to be a beggar and those in need recieved help, not those that had money and material possessions.

If you want to call honesty being dramatic, that's what I'm talking about!

If honesty is dramatic, I pray for a lot of drama by hiring new county commissioners.

I don't believe the two guys I speak of are interested in doing the job for self gain or glory.

Let's hear it for them.

Mr. Hebb and Mr. Wunderlich

Fire Elk

Ross, cakewalks\dessert walks were alive and well in the 50's in Kansas and elsewhere.  Also, they predate the 50's.

Ross

Quote from: Fire Elk on September 20, 2012, 05:03:35 PM
Ross, cakewalks\dessert walks were alive and well in the 50's in Kansas and elsewhere.  Also, they predate the 50's.

Just the same if you have to try to curcumvent the rules to run it, something must be wrong.

srkruzich

Quote from: Fire Elk on September 20, 2012, 04:17:42 PM
"We have a carnival every year. We are trying to figure out a good way to do the cakewalk, besides the normal way of walking in a circle and landing on a number. We have been told we can't do this because it is considered a game of chance and that is considered gambling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this."

http://www.ptotoday.com/boards/17-fundraising/80911-carnival-cakewalk

A gambling definition.
http://christianlibrary.org/authors/Marvin_L_Weir/christliv/gambling.htm

My theory is that you are donating money to the Dessert Walk and don't expect anything in return. The fact that someone may win a dessert is just fun. Is Ross being overly dramatic or is he technically correct. If he is technically correct do you consider the dessert walk to be wrong?

fits the very definition of gambling.  Churchs have fallen into gambling quite easily these days.  Look at all the bingo halls that churchs sponsor or hold.  Raffles the same thing.  So cakewalk, same thing too. why cant one just donate the money without the walk?  The fact your participating in the walk, means you expect to get something possibly. thats gambling.  I believe that Christ just said give. No strings attached.   Shrug.  seems to me if you want to participate in the walk, your attaching strings.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Fire Elk on September 20, 2012, 05:03:35 PM
Does it make it right?  Nope they drank in the 50's they had premarital sex, they even gambled in the 50's. so what has the time period got to do with right and wrong?

Diane Amberg

Fire Elk

Quote from: Ross on September 20, 2012, 05:29:14 PM
Just the same if you have to try to curcumvent the rules to run it, something must be wrong.

Ross, I don't see where you make the point that people were trying to circumvent the rules to have a dessert walk.

Srkruzik, I too don't know why Ross seemed to suggest that it did not happen in the 50's when he was in Kansas. You are right people have premarital sex, gamble. They also smoke pot, drink booze, and smoke cigars.

The difference between a cakewalk being gambling and what you do in Vegas, the weekly poker game, or the NFL bet you place with your friends is that for the cakewalk you don't care if you win anything. The others your goal is to win money.

srkruzich

Quote from: Fire Elk on September 20, 2012, 06:23:11 PM
Ross, I don't see where you make the point that people were trying to circumvent the rules to have a dessert walk.

Srkruzik, I too don't know why Ross seemed to suggest that it did not happen in the 50's when he was in Kansas. You are right people have premarital sex, gamble. They also smoke pot, drink booze, and smoke cigars.

The difference between a cakewalk being gambling and what you do in Vegas, the weekly poker game, or the NFL bet you place with your friends is that for the cakewalk you don't care if you win anything. The others your goal is to win money.

I think the point is to avoid all appearances of evil!  Cakewalks to what happens in vegas!

Ross

I hope these documents are good enough for you to use.
They will get you on the County mailing list for County Commissioners Meetings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk