Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patriotdad

Ross i think your thinking way too short term on the "Neighborhood Revitalization Program"  this is a good deal for anyone that participates and the county.  The county is not out anything.  They are just not collecting a full share for the first 5 years of a NEW taxable property.  If the a house is not built or remodeled they get nothing.  If someone builds a new house then whatever tax the county collects is more than they were getting before the house was built. A brand new home is going to be there alot longer than the 5 yrs of the plan. I live in a house that was built in 1900.

If a house in Ek county is valued @ $50K and a $20K remodel is done on the property, the property is now valued higher forever. Not just the 5years of the plan. Every year after the 5 yr rebate is a 100% addition to the county tax rolls.

If this program entices one family to build a new house then it benefits the county. If someone decides to remodel a deteriorating home, one that is decreasing in value every year and saves one home from becoming a vacant, unsightly, unsellable property then it benefits the county. 

If this adds homes to the county,saves homes in the county, cost the county nothing. It's a no brainer.     

Also i know the county as proposed the cities to participate in the program too.  Howard and Longton are on board. Moline and Grenola are not.  Why would a town not be in favor of this.  If by a small chance someone is looking to move to our county. And wants to build or remodel a house to live in.  Where do you thing they will buy? Not Moline or Grenola. 

Patriot

Quote from: patriotdad on August 01, 2012, 12:43:06 PM
Also i know the county as proposed the cities to participate in the program too.  Howard and Longton are on board. Moline and Grenola are not.

Really?  The last word I got was that the Mayor of Howard told the county presenter (Commissioner Hendricks I believe), immediately after a verbal presentation & before reading the plan, to 'count us in' but that no vote has yet been taken in the council nor public hearing held by the city.  I was also told that after voting for inclusion in the program based on a good sales pitch, the Longton council actually read the program and several members were less than impressed. Did I miss something? 

God forbid we sell this to the voters/taxpayers before pressing ahead.  Is that how things work?  Pass the plan so we can see what's in it?  How Nancy Pelosi is that?  Notice I'm speaking to the backroom process here, not the program.  What is it about transparency that so offends our 'leaders'? 

After reviewing similar plans from other Kansas communities, it looks like we're taking an 'everybody else is doin it' approach.  And we just did the same thing with the Rural Opportunity Zone (ROZ) program and may do the same with the E-Communities plan.  Oh... you didn't hear about those either?  In my book, good government fully shares its' vision and plan with the people before it jumps on every big plan that shows up in their email box.

As to the plan itself.... can somebody share what are we really 'revitalizing'?  Or are we just creating a special interest tax break for the very few residents here who can actually afford to spend 20 grand or more and least need the break?  Given the census data showing an average annual income somewhere south of 40K in Elk County, I wonder.  Given the tightened lending criteria at banks these days, I wonder more.  Even so, I'll be watching with great anticipation to see the hundreds of properties in need of upgrade/repair actually being revitalized.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

patriotdad

Nothing has passed yet.  They have to have a public hearing.  I don't think Howard or Longton is officially in or out as the plan has yet to pass through the county.  What i heard about the cities was hear say nothing official. 

There is plenty to revitalize in our county.  This is a opportunity for someone who might feel they can't afford to do it to actually do it. 

20k is not a unreasonable amount.  You can hardly buy a car for 20K these days.

And it really doesn't matter how many people do it.  It will put new or higher value properties on the county tax rolls.  That is good for the county. It will add to the county tax base. With no cost to the county. 

Ross

Ross i think your thinking way too short term on the "Neighborhood Revitalization Program"  this is a good deal for anyone that participates and the county.  The county is not out anything. 

I think you are thinking to long term, unless you have a crystal ball. This program is not limited to houses. I believe, it could be used to build a pig farm building for raising pigs and for building barns or even a fancy hen house. None of which, would bring anyone to Elk County. But, would allow them not to pay their fair share of property taxes via kickbacks or the twisted way of calling it a tax rebate and therefore accepting Elk County Welfare.

They are just not collecting a full share for the first 5 years of a NEW taxable property.  If the a house is not built or remodeled they get nothing. 

Why would anyone sign up for the program and start building and not finish. How foolish do you think these people are, how foolish do you think the people are that read this forum?

If someone builds a new house then whatever tax the county collects is more than they were getting before the house was built. A brand new home is going to be there a lot longer than the 5 yrs of the plan. I live in a house that was built in 1900.

Now a few pages back on fo the Followers tried to convience us that it would not be that much money, so why do it?  What are the costs of implementing the program? What has the program already cost the county in man hours? Is it free? I don't think so!

We will most likely be talking about much more expensive homes, with much larger taxes, meaning much larger rebates. And they will probably be demanding much more in the form of road services and who know ws what else? So, let them pay their fair share, okay? How long the house stands has no bearing on the Welfare aspects of the present day program.

And without special consideration at the cost of the rest of the County Taxpayers, they should pay, their fair share. Yes, I was told at the court house there is a man wanting to build a new house either here in Elk County or another county. Supposedly, he said he would build here if he can get the tax break. What kind of a person thinks, they should get special treatment as I call it, in the form of County Welfare, in the form of what some people call kick backs, rebates? And do we need that kind of a threatening person in Elk County? Give me a tax break or I won't live and build in your county? Does Elk County really deserve that kind of person?

Is it only about trying to get one or two families to move to Elk County?
I thought it was suppose to be about population growth?

If someone really wants to accomplish something why not simply look at Montgomery County and Cowley County? What do they have? Industrial parks that provide places for business' which provide jobs, which require people to work there. Those counties did not start out with big college campus's or big hospitals those things came later. Oh, and a fancy high school campus does not qualify as a College campus. You can build the Taj Mahal of high school campus's and it won't make a bit of difference. Perhaps a blue ribbon campus might draw one or two families, who knows? Building a barn or a house is not Going to do much population growth now is it?

If a house in Ek county is valued @ $50K and a $20K remodel is done on the property, the property is now valued higher forever. Not just the 5years of the plan. Every year after the 5 yr rebate is a 100% addition to the county tax rolls.

Let's, let them pay their fair share from the git-go just like I did and just like every other property tax payer does. Let's play fair. If the county can afford property tax breaks for a few, why not for all?

If this program entices one family to build a new house then it benefits the county. If someone decides to remodel a deteriorating home, one that is decreasing in value every year and saves one home from becoming a vacant, unsightly, unsellable property then it benefits the county. 

Is that what this program is based on "IF" ? I don't think so. I think it is based on what a few locals want for themselves!  Perhaps being an Elk Konnected, LLC Follower you can tell us if the Elk Konnected Kommissioners came up with this grand idea through their Konnected Kounty Economic Employee?

If this adds homes to the county,saves homes in the county, cost the county nothing. It's a no brainer. 

If it only add hay barns and pig barns and henhouses and outhouses it really is a no brainer?

Also i know the county as proposed the cities to participate in the program too.

Since when is it County Government Business to run city business?

Howard and Longton are on board.

Have all the citizens of those communities signed on?
Did the communities have a hearing on the proposal?
Where is the documentation?

Well now let's just take a deeper look at what you have brought up, Okay?
Please feel free to provide some answers, thank you!
Isn't Elk Konnected, LLC more or less home based in Howard?
Doesn't our Konnected Kounty Economic Development any Youth Development Employee live in Howard isn't she a member of the Elk Konnected, LLC Steering Committee?
How many undisclosed Elk Konnected, LLC members live in Howard?

Doesn't Longton have a community member on the Elk Konnected, LLC Steering Committee?
How many undisclosed Elk Konnected, LLC members live in Longton?
Not too difficult to figure out why they are on board, is it?
What Konnected Kounty Kommissioner asked those towns?

Moline and Grenola are not.  Why would a town not be in favor of this.

Well I can only guess, well I can not speak for either town. Let me refer you back to page one of this thread to the suggestion by Elk Konnected, for a unified government centrally located in Elk County. What is considered centrally located in Elk County if it is not the Court House Howard?

Also, I must ask you how many un named Elk Konnected, LLC members live in these two communit

If by a small chance someone is looking to move to our county. And wants to build or remodel a house to live in. [/quote]

There is that "IF" again?  What "IF" nobody choose to move here? What "IF" only barns are built?
Why would anyone chose to live here except in retirement? Do you see any really good paying jobs open around here for the masses?

Where do you thing they will buy? Not Moline or Grenola. 

That is such a mind fumblingly stupid thing to say in my books. Moline and Grenola are both great little communities and I think you should apologize to them for such an attitude towards them.

Why such a negative towards a couple of Elk County Communities full of good people?
I thought the Elk Konnected, LLC Followers were only allowed think and talk positive?

I am Completely flabbergasted by such an attitude towards our communities.

But now you come back and say it is all hearsay? Is that how our County Government works on hearsay?
But, Kounty Kommissioner Hendricks did visit the Howard City Council, it said so in the newspaper last week.
Was it an official visit, if so where is the report or the documentation?

I'm still posting what I had already typed, because even if iwhat you say is is hearsay, I believe my comments. opinions and questions are still relavent.

Isn't it time for a real change of attitude in our County Government?

Quote from: Ross on July 31, 2012, 02:48:34 PM

If you are happy with the present trending of our Elk County Government in what I consider, pulling the wool over our eyes with double talk and the lack of transparency in our government leave well enough alone.

I wonder, will Konnected Kounty Kommissioners be successful at being re-elected to County Commissioner?

Is the existing trajectory of Elk County spending, taxation and administrative practices sustainable?

Perhaps the basic problem is not cyclical, perhaps it is structural?

Perhaps the time to act is now.

Don't you think?

If everything is cool with you change nothing. It is actually that easy!
Remember, my opinions are my own, please stick to your own opinions, and your own principles.

Let's get out the vote.  

Oldtimer

Ross i think your thinking way too short term on the "Neighborhood Revitalization Program"  this is a good deal for anyone that participates and the county.  The county is not out anything.  They are just not collecting a full share for the first 5 years of a NEW taxable property.  If the a house is not built or remodeled they get nothing.  If someone builds a new house then whatever tax the county collects is more than they were getting before the house was built. A brand new home is going to be there alot longer than the 5 yrs of the plan. I live in a house that was built in 1900.

Also i know the county as proposed the cities to participate in the program too.  Howard and Longton are on board. Moline and Grenola are not.  Why would a town not be in favor of this.  If by a small chance someone is looking to move to our county. And wants to build or remodel a house to live in.  Where do you thing they will buy? Not Moline or Grenola.  

Looks like a great program for the future tax base and for the people. Certainly an incentive for people to build and/or improve a property, and at no cost to the county, in fact it is a future higher tax benefit for the county after the 5 year period.

Ross

Quote from: Oldtimer on August 01, 2012, 04:26:36 PM
Looks like a great program for the future tax base and for the people. Certainly an incentive for people to build and/or improve a property, and at no cost to the county, in fact it is a future higher tax benefit for the county after the 5 year period.

It would be a loss of tax dollars to the county, costing the county money.
Not counting the cost already spent in man hours developing the thing.
And man hours cost the county money, don't they?

Why the smoke screen of no cost to the county?

Let's face it, it would simply be County Welfare for a few?

What are you planning to revialize? Your barn? What?

Why do you need County Welfare??

No cost, huh? Really?

Isn't a vote for Hendricks and Liebau a vote for Elk Konnected, LLC and County Welfare ?

Go For It

But Vote, Please
!

jarhead

Quote from Ross:
If the county can afford property tax breaks for a few, why not for all?

Ross,That says it all my friend.

Ross

Quote from: jarhead on August 01, 2012, 05:26:18 PM
Quote from Ross:
If the county can afford property tax breaks for a few, why not for all?

Ross,That says it all my friend.

Why, thank you Jarhead.

patriotdad

Quote from: Ross on August 01, 2012, 03:46:35 PM

I think you are thinking to long term, unless you have a crystal ball. This program is not limited to houses. I believe, it could be used to build a pig farm building for raising pigs and for building barns or even a fancy hen house. None of which, would bring anyone to Elk County. But, would allow them not to pay their fair share of property taxes via kickbacks or the twisted way of calling it a tax rebate and therefore accepting Elk County Welfare.

It doesn't matter if it is a barn, pig farm, or a outhouse. It;s a new taxable property for the county to collect on for the next 50 years.

Why would anyone sign up for the program and start building and not finish. How foolish do you think these people are, how foolish do you think the people are that read this forum?

You missed my point.  You can't collect taxes on something that isn't there. If the program entices someone to build then the county is ahead.

Is it only about trying to get one or two families to move to Elk County?
I thought it was suppose to be about population growth?

is one or two families not population growth? 

If someone really wants to accomplish something why not simply look at Montgomery County and Cowley County? What do they have? Industrial parks that provide places for business' which provide jobs, which require people to work there. Those counties did not start out with big college campus's or big hospitals those things came later. Oh, and a fancy high school campus does not qualify as a College campus. You can build the Taj Mahal of high school campus's and it won't make a bit of difference. Perhaps a blue ribbon campus might draw one or two families, who knows? Building a barn or a house is not Going to do much population growth now is it?

This plan can be used to build commercial properties too.  And no an established farm building a new barn probably won't grow the population but it will increase their taxes and increase tax revenue for our county.

Let's, let them pay their fair share from the git-go just like I did and just like every other property tax payer does. Let's play fair. If the county can afford property tax breaks for a few, why not for all?

I'm pretty sure this program is open to everyone not just a few.  If you want to build or add on anything over $20k then you would get the same benefit the others will get.  If you don't you won't.

Is that what this program is based on "IF" ? I don't think so. I think it is based on what a few locals want for themselves!  Perhaps being an Elk Konnected, LLC Follower you can tell us if the Elk Konnected Kommissioners came up with this grand idea through their Konnected Kounty Economic Employee?

If it only add hay barns and pig barns and henhouses and outhouses it really is a no brainer?

Yes more buildings for our county to collect taxes on in the future.

Since when is it County Government Business to run city business?

Well now let's just take a deeper look at what you have brought up, Okay?
Please feel free to provide some answers, thank you!
Isn't Elk Konnected, LLC more or less home based in Howard?
Doesn't our Konnected Kounty Economic Development any Youth Development Employee live in Howard isn't she a member of the Elk Konnected, LLC Steering Committee?
How many undisclosed Elk Konnected, LLC members live in Howard?

Doesn't Longton have a community member on the Elk Konnected, LLC Steering Committee?
How many undisclosed Elk Konnected, LLC members live in Longton?
Not too difficult to figure out why they are on board, is it?
What Konnected Kounty Kommissioner asked those towns?

I didn't realize Howard and Longton are now buddies and teamed up to pick on the rest of the county.

Well I can only guess, well I can not speak for either town. Let me refer you back to page one of this thread to the suggestion by Elk Konnected, for a unified government centrally located in Elk County. What is considered centrally located in Elk County if it is not the Court House Howard?

Also, I must ask you how many un named Elk Konnected, LLC members live in these two communit

If by a small chance someone is looking to move to our county. And wants to build or remodel a house to live in. 

There is that "IF" again?  What "IF" nobody choose to move here? What "IF" only barns are built?
Why would anyone chose to live here except in retirement? Do you see any really good paying jobs open around here for the masses?

retired people build barns and houses too.

That is such a mind fumblingly stupid thing to say in my books. Moline and Grenola are both great little communities and I think you should apologize to them for such an attitude towards them.

Why such a negative towards a couple of Elk County Communities full of good people?
I thought the Elk Konnected, LLC Followers were only allowed think and talk positive?

I am Completely flabbergasted by such an attitude towards our communities.

No attitude, no negativity.  If someone is looking to move to elk county and build or remodel a house to live in the cities participating in the program would be more enticing.  It might not be the deciding factor in where they decide to live but then again it might. 

patriotdad

The overall benefit to the county outweighs any man hours cost.   100% of something new is 100% more than they had.  The county would still be collecting 57% new tax money during the 5 years of the program.  It is a rebate, the citizen pays it in, the county returns a portion of it for the first 5 years.  There is no loss or no cost to the county.  And drop the man hours thing because it is minimal when you think about the life of a building and how long the county will collect on it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk