Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patriotdad

Catwoman-There is not a single certified daycare in the entire county.

Patriot-I know for a fact that the 1 certified daycare was turning people away because they were full.  I would assume that means there is a demand.  This was in Howard. 

Patriot

Quote from: patriotdad on March 28, 2012, 07:38:52 AM

Patriot-I know for a fact that the 1 certified daycare was turning people away because they were full.  I would assume that means there is a demand.  This was in Howard. 

Then the question arises... if it was a booming business and the owner(s) needed to vacate, was there an attempt to sell the business to a new owner?  Heck, EK was able to sell a failing fitness center.  Why not a thriving day care?  A question of business acumen perhaps?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Man i wouldn't want the liability of a day care business. I can understand why no one would want to start up one or buy a thriving one. I personally would rather handle dynamite than to have to deal with that situation.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on March 28, 2012, 08:47:16 AM
Man i wouldn't want the liability of a day care business. I can understand why no one would want to start up one or buy a thriving one.

Me either, but then again that's why insurance companies exist.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on March 28, 2012, 08:54:38 AM
Me either, but then again that's why insurance companies exist.

yeah i know but i couldn't handle the personal guilt that would feel if something bad happened.   It wouldn't mean i was at fault or that i could do anythign bout it but its just like if i were driving a 18 wheeler and ran  over a bunch of kids that pulled out in front of me.  I had that fear for years when i drove a truck.  I had a young gal hit me once almost ran under my truck but teh good lord guided her car into my front tire and sent her off into a parking lot.  she had a infant in the back seat.  I felt awful about it when it happened and it wasn't even my fault she passed me on the right jumped over the curb to get around me when i was turning right. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Ross

Quote from: patriotdad on March 28, 2012, 07:38:52 AM

Patriot-I know for a fact that the 1 certified daycare was turning people away because they were full.  I would assume that means there is a demand.  This was in Howard.  

Catwoman, I suppose you have been corrected by a follower ?
Is certification required in Elk County?
If so, why haven't the uncertified day cares been forced into compliance?
Aren't there laws involved?
Wouldn't that fall under Elk Konnected, LLC's "Superior Lifestyle" they want to produce in Elk County?
Patriotdad, what you point out raises a lot more questions, don't you think?
Does that represent another failure by Elk Konnected, LLC ?
Perhaps that is the goal, is that a good guess, to shut down the daycare facilities that are already here in Elk County?

But really, if you are all that concerned that there be a buisness started for Certified Day Care why not start one?
You could put all those other daycare's out of business and get rich, right?

Just leave the County out of it, perhaps the state has deeper pockets and might want to allow for "Beggar-Thy-Neighbor" monies, how about that?

But really, private business is not what the Elk County Government is about is it?

And, I would suggest that because, I would believe that any Elk Konnected, LLC Meeting called a Community Conversation concerning such a thing, would be attended by one or two Elk Konnected Kounty Kommissioners making it Elk County Business. My opinion because at least one of those two, make it to every Elk Konnected, LLC meeting. Also one of them has made it perfectly clear, in public that she wears so many "hats", she can not keep them straight.

Ergo County Government business!
Ergo County coffers!

So, what is the real purpose?

Oh yea, isn't the county expecting a large check from the windfarm soon, or have they already recieved it?
Elk Konnected, LLC is privy to that information before anyboddy else in the county, right?
Perhaps, they could share that information with the real community people?

patriotdad

Quote from: Ross on March 28, 2012, 11:26:32 AM

Is certification required in Elk County?
If so, why haven't the uncertified day cares been forced into compliance?

Certification isn't required as long as you meet KDHE requirements.
1) Child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for not more than 20 hours a week and the home has not been closed as a result of enforcement action.** Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is cared for weekly.
2) Irregular child care is arranged between friends and neighbors on an exchange basis.
3) Child care is provided in the child's own home.
4) Child care is provided in the home of the child's relative.

I would assume most parents would prefer that the daycare they take their child to is certified.  This gives them piece of mind that the daycare is insured, meeting health and safety codes, not over crowded...  This would especially give the parent piece of mind when leaving them with someone they don't know personally.  Also the cost of daycare is tax deductible so paying a certified daycare not just a unlicensed neighbor makes that a lot simpler. 

Diane Amberg

Interesting information from you all. Ross, I don't recall saying I was leaving, just that I wanted to think on it some more. I have a feeling that in general, the EK activities for kids are well attended, and have been well received, so not everyone must see everything that EK does as useless lollipops....or folks wouldn't participate and I'm sure they know as well as any of you where the money comes from.
 Not being there, I would surely mix up who has sponsored what, but I think the movies, day camps and various activities are good things. As to whether they are duplicates I can't say.
Wouldn't it nicer to just let go of those disappointments that have been listed over and over and go on to other positive projects?   Gold stars? After all this time?
It's a shame the wellness center seems to have failed, but if EK was able to sell it, what's the problem?
  I understand what the original  EK intent was and there have been very vocal detractors from the outset, even the LLC business...I talked to a lawyer friend who agreed going LLC was a very good idea for them, but so many LLC agreements are custom made for the group and that they can be hard to explain....It can be a business that really isn't a business for liability purposes. It sounds dodgy but really isn't. It's beyond me to really explain the details. I just barely get it myself, but I'll try one or two examples.
 As I understood, it essentially means one can't sue for more than the group is worth, nor can the "members'' be sued individually. I don't know of course, but the Howard pool might be set up in a similar way. In this case it wasn't mean to hide shady dealings or hide what's in the books. It's very wise protection from lawsuits.
  NCC has the same thing for their riding stables. It is held separately from the county in such a fashion that ,in spite of the riders signing wavers, a filed suit cannot collect more than one day's receipt. The county cannot be sued for kazillions in a frivolous suit  nor can the county be forced into bankruptcy. Aren't people expected to have their own insurance?
 Some people will try their darndest to come up with something to sue about. Hence escape clauses. Enough from me. I'm still not sure whether EK is going to try to start some sort of day care center. Perhaps I'll stay out of that one. ;D

Patriot

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 28, 2012, 01:00:37 PM
  I understand what the original  EK intent was and there have been very vocal detractors from the outset, even the LLC business...I talked to a lawyer friend who agreed going LLC was a very good idea for them, but so many LLC agreements are custom made for the group and that they can be hard to explain....It can be a business that really isn't a business for liability purposes. It sounds dodgy but really isn't. It's beyond me to really explain the details. I just barely get it myself, but I'll try one or two examples.
 As I understood, it essentially means one can't sue for more than the group is worth, nor can the "members'' be sued individually. I don't know of course, but the Howard pool might be set up in a similar way. In this case it wasn't mean to hide shady dealings or hide what's in the books. It's very wise protection from lawsuits.

Let's just bear in mind that this LLC is organized under Kansas law, as verified by the Secretary of State, as a for-profit enterprise.  Not a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.  As a 501(c)(3) they would still be able to obtain liability protection, but would also have qualified for grants that they have previously leaned on the county government entity to obtain & pass through.  As a 501(c)(3) ownership and many other things might be available for better understanding/communication.  As a for profit LLC, and because of our locally poor government forethought, once public funds are transferred to or through this LCC, accountability to the public becomes murky at best or non-existent at worst.  Just sayin'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk