Author Topic: Uberti Parts Gun Question  (Read 11229 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Re: Uberti Parts Gun Question
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
Without knowing the serial number I will say the cylinder of the revolver in the photo is a Uberti one. It is a USFA currently being sold on GB. Notice also the rear sight is pinched to form a true V as on Uberti frames and the loading gate pivot arm is long and thin.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/554259000/554259587/pix015673030.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/554259000/554259587/pix799267283.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/554259000/554259587/pix216829216.jpg

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 933
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 10:41:53 PM »
This is a picture of the Uberti ejector slot on the parts gun Lou has been talking about:

And this is the ejector slot on a USA made USFA gun:

I mentioned early in this thread that one of the things that tipped me off about this gun was the grip didn't feel quite right. This is my attempt to illustrate that:

The gun on the left (satin nickel) is US made and the one on the right is as well. The one in the middle is the subject of this thread. Notice that the back strap is longer on the middle gun than the ones on either side. Also the back strap comes to more of a point on the Uberti part but the USFA back straps have a beveled off area at the corner. After 9 years of shooting 1 Gen Colts exclusively my hand knew there was something wrong when I first took the parts gun out of the box and held it in a firing grip.

Oh, and the other two guns have more rounded flutes in their cylinders while the Uberti's are pointed as Lou explained. I tried to take a picture of this but the lighting wasn't right and the flutes were in shadow.

Hope these pictures help a little in showing what the discussion's been about.

Dave

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
Dave T even though it's made with Uberti parts I think that's a gorgeous gun.  I don't know what fair market value would be but I think that gun is a lot prettier than any regular Uberti today. 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:29:51 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
Lou,

Thank you for the explanations and detailed pictures to define the differences.  Yes, I have seen Yahoody posting that is the 3rd stickie but now I will go back to it with a little more ensight and understand his photo's better.  During these postings I have wanted to bring up Yahoody's name and posting, to Dave T, as a great contributor to the understanding of the history of USFA.

You see, I did follow the beginnings of this companies attempt to revive a great firearm design and provide us CAS shooters something American but at the timeframe I did not have the monies to own one.

Dave T,

I hope my questions have helped your understand more and will lead you to another successful purchase of a US USFA.  Also the following link is the Yahoody posting that is the 3rd stickie that Lou refers too.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55098.0.html

Here is the posting where Yahoody started to gather SN# from members that owned USptFA and USFA firearms.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55093.0.html

Here is the other posting that built onto Yahoody's serial # gathering attempts and the one that I have based my 224XX search around.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55282.0.html

As far as your original concern about the grip size, I see by your photos the differences. Also I have re-examined my Uberti's and noticed that  I can get three fingers on the grip not like the original two and one below the bottom.  Unlike you, I have never handled an original Colt 1gen, so I had no bias.  The only thing I do have is a '96 ASM New Dakota that at the time was suppose to be a totally 1st gen Colt compatible revolver.  But it has the nickle plated brass grips so I don't really know if they are right size.  I can see that Uberti steel grips are still larger than these.  The reason I know everything I have is too large is because I bought Triple K vintage 1gen grips and they are too small to fit on any of my SAA grip straps.

Also, Dave that really is a nice looking blackpowdered frame revolver whether it has Uberti parts are not.  But I do understand your feelings about spending money for something, that is in your mind and mine, that its almost like a 'Cimarron Model P for $500'.  Not trying to add insult just understanding and support.

Again thanks for all the educating.
Black River Smith

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 933
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »
Black River,

They say knowledge is power so I'm glad to share my expensive mistake and it's pictures with everyone here. Someone should get something out of this (smile).

When I was first told I had nothing more than a Uberti that I could have bought for half the price or less, I replied that I had owned two Uberties back in the '80s and neither came close to this gun in fit or finish. It's not a bad looking reproduction of a black powder vintage Colt. But, it isn't as good as it could be and it isn't what I thought I was paying for.

Since I have no idea what it's worth I may just keep it and try to shoot it to death (just kidding…a little). Then I can sell it for cheep and not feel so bad. Since I'm not going the black powder route this time I have a lot of load development to do. I may use this for my test gun and see if it holds up better than the first Uberti I owned which broke all it's springs in the first couple hundred rounds. I'll report back on how it all goes this time.

Dave

45 Dragoon

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
Dave,
 I never said you had "nothing more than an Uberti",  my comment was "you may have an Uberti, depending on the serial number "(quickly followed by a colorful response). It wasn't meant as a slap to you (or anyone else), just (as I said then) a true possibility.   There are too many folks that enjoy their Uberti's and I would never " degrade" them for owning such!  So, I guess I'm responsible for arranging a "learning session" for you and others who are reading along.
  This forum right here is exactly where my ability to answer your question came from. One can learn a lot from these folks here.
So in a round about way, I take your last post as a "thank you"  and since it lead to yours and mine (amongst others)  education on this subject .  .  .  .  .  . yer welcome

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »
In the FWIW category.  I've got a few USFA pistols that are real shooters.  Cutting cards as far out as I can see the edge of a playing card kind of shooters.

The other day we had a 200 yard qualification at or local range.  Had to hit a 1/2 size IPSC steel at 200 measured yards, 6 out of 10 to qualify to shoot a hand gun on that range.  You could only bring one gun for each caliber you wanted to qualify with.  I hit 6 straight with a .45 Colt using duplicates of the 230gr old Army loads.  Some what lucky for sure.  But then I did bring along the six gun that makes lucky happen often as not.  That would be a 7.5", BP framed, bright nickel, Cimarron/ Uberti U.S. Cavalry Indian Scout  :)  Nothing wrong with a decent Uberti.  No one has built a better one than USFA did.  I just don't own a unfired  7.5" USFA.  Or seen one that shoots any better than this particular Uberti.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com