Author Topic: Hearts, Chock-O-Late, Presidents and Big Rodents it's Febuary  (Read 199510 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hearts, Chock-O-Late, Presidents and Big Rodents it's Febuary
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Pretty place Chippokes, on the James River. Just up From Jamestown. Y'all remember from Junior High history. The 1607 thing. Christopher Newport. The Susan Constant, Discovery 'n Godspeed. John Smith. Not ta be confused with E.J. Smith of R.M.S. Titanic infamy.

Landed here in duh beach first. Set up a service ta thank God for their safe delivery 'cross the ocean. The “native Americans” attacked 'em 'n fired the first shot, er arrow. Ya don't hear of that part. Always the Europeans' fault. Wore Washington Redskins stuff when I was there taday. On purpose, just because.

They sailed up the James River. This is what a part of the James they sailed looked like taday. Pretty beaches there. Seen 'em before. All froze up taday. Where ya see the ice stop ya'd be 'bout o'er yer belly if ya waded out. It'll thaw.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »
Arcey, That piece of farm machinery is a horse drawn cultivator, 2 rows at a time. We are having the Vegetable beef soup for supper tonight. The roads are dry right now, the snow is supposed start after midnight. They are predicting 1-3 inches of snow, Moose may be home again tomorrow.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »
This, gentlemen, is a 'small' male. The dude hangin' onto 'im said he was about seven pounds. A mid Atlantic bird. Challenger, the bird that flew at Daytona Sunday past, is a gulf coast bird. Six pounds.

Look at the size of the bird's feet 'n the dude's gloved hand. Now, look at your hand. That's a 'small' bird.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #443 on: Today at 04:24:46 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »
Not a cultivator, but a corn planter. What looks like a sled runner in the picture, opens a slot in the soil. Seed drops from the hopper, controlled by a chain drive, shafts and gears, then the "V" shaped wheels close up the slot over the seed. Tractor powered ones worked basically the same, up to maybe the 60's or 70's. Not sure when they modernized, since I was still using antiques in the 90's, last time I did any row cropping.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
Those Talons look Serious! That ia a beautiful Bird, no wonder why it is our national symbol!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
What I thought, PE.

Powerful animal. Talons er kinda death from above. Young adult. In for rehab because of injuries consistent with fightin' another eagle. Hunters found 'im down the road from the release. Couldn't fly. Called the rescue folks. He's still a l'il scuffed up but good 'nuff ta go.

Ennyways.

Got there 'n parked inna ice free spot. Park guys in green were standin' right where I parked talkin' ta one 'nother. Didn't think so many folks would show. Some of 'em blue hairs. Volunteered ta move the station wagon (right) ta a place they hadn't cleared.

The Rav4 weren't there then. Take a look, no tire tracks. Froze solid. With my fat azz in it it weighs o'er two tons. Managed ta get ta the grass ta the right without bustin' my rear end. That was froze, left no foot prints. Stepped on a thin sheet of ice, did a dance but didn't lose it.

Went thru the release, got back to it 'n ended up walkin' off ta the left, wayyyyyy off ta the left, 'til I found footprints somebody else left 'n followed them long's I could. Got back to it from the front end. Opened the door, stuck the camera on the dash. Half way in 'n the left foot went out from under me but I had the steerin' wheel 'n pulled myself in without goin' thud.

We don't get this mess often 'n I'm too old for this sorta crap.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
They lug 'em in big dog crates with a hunk of branch bolted to the floor so they can roost on it. He was tired of bein' handled 'n was lettin' 'em know it.

Coulda took the crate out with the bird in it. Set it down 'n opened the door. Bird would have gone *poof* in short order.

But they give 'em a send off.

Ain't a great shot. Knew I was gonna be close. Shoulda put the short lens on it. Had it in the bag 'n the bag was in the station wagon. Lesson learned. But y'all get the idea.

Bird turned dead left 'n inta the trees. Ya could hear him hittin' the small branches while he flew thru 'em.

Live long 'n fly free, bird. Go forth 'n reproduce thyself. Please.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »
Nice pictures Cuz.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »
Was -12 this A.M. without wind chill,supposed to stay bitter cold into next week... >:( >:( Y'all stay safe & warm
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:22 AM »
Thanks, cuz. T'was a hoot.

Happy National Chili Day eve, y'all. Been waitin' on tomorrow all year myownself. Know y'all have too.

Got 'nuff of the white crap ta cover e'erthin' back up. Guessers bettin' it'll get up in the forties with some sun. A l'il luck it'll melt most of it off the paved stuff before more get's shook out the clouds tanight.

Had rescheduled the OFSDAR thing for taday but we had ta can it. Range got a few hours worth of sn*w fall on it yestitty. That on top ta the muck/mud already on the road 'n paths from the gate ta the bays don't make for happy motorin' or walkin'. It'd be akin ta tryin' ta hold the shindig inna swamp. Can't b*tch, hadda real nice January while lots of folks were freezin'. Maybe we can get the CAS thing in the first Saturday in March.

Gonna go find sumthin' for the mornin' repast.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #450 on: February 25, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »
Photo's of the bird's release kinda gives you a warm swell in your chest...proud to see them free  :)

Getting rain , and a minor cool down...beyond that NADA....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: February 25, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
19 here, not sure about the WC. ::)

Nice pics,Arcey. been doing the ice dance/ look for better footing here for weeks. Keys to the kingdom today for the first time in almost a month. Ma Nature doesn't go by our schedules. Plowing and salting is a two person deal with the equipment we have. While plowing, the guy riding shotgun watches for other vehicles. To salt, takes two to load the hopper, 50 lbs. at a time until it's full.Then shotgun again ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: February 25, 2015, 06:13:17 AM »
It's 26 and clear heretoday, with chance of rain or s**w tonight. Stll a month away from the first SASS shoot of the year, long range ForecastGuess for the NCOWS shoot before the convention is 29......I won't be shooting at that temp.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #453 on: February 25, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis -4 and cloudy. High of 14.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the Cawffee, Slim. I made a pot myself as well. The snow hasn't got here yet, and the roads are dry. Moose's vacation is over for the time being. I am baking some cardboard sleeve cinnamon rolls to go with the Cawffee. Hopefully the temps will get above freezing. I need to run an errand before the snow comes. I hope everyone stays safe and don't slip and fall on the ice.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »
I got Moose off to school this morning. I am going to wait a couple of hours before I venture out. Victoria is sleeping in front of the fireplace, enjoying the warmth. I went back to the bedroom to enjoy the electric blanket.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
I got dressed and ventured out onto the wet streets. They were wet, but no ice. I had to go to the post office. I didn't have any problems getting there. This is a small post office with no lines. I got in and out in about 5 minutes. I hope that tomorrow and Friday will be passable.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
Well got Liz into the local Doc to get the stitches out so she is a little happier. Look like the visit to the neurologist tomorrow is going to be bust unless the guessers are completely wrong. Waited until most of the road stuff out here melted n the idjits in their big trucks were off the roads. Daughter had one of the trucks spin out in front of her this morning and almost go in the ditch.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: February 25, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
I am curious to know if the snow will get tonight and if it sticks. I have stuff to do tomorrow, Friday, and Sat. I finished off the last of the Vegetable Beef soup for lunch. No clue for supper tonight.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
Best ta Elizabeth, cuz.

Had a tragedy here. Somethin's missin' from my life. Andi come o'er. Decided it was time for her ta start messin' with crock pots. Took the round black one home with 'er. Was give ta her initially but she left it here. I had her blessin's ta work with it. Feel like I lost a member of the family. I'll go ta Kroger 'n adopt 'nother one ta fill the void.

Turnt out right decent taday. Most paved areas weren't even wet no more by 1400 or so. Picked up a few things it Kroger (before I knew I was gonna lose the pot) includin' a fresh hunka sausage. Went ta the nest. My photographer pard was there. Said shift change would be any time 'n decided ta wait. Took the sausage out the station wagon 'n laid it onna patch of the evil white stuff still left. Good 'n cold when I picked it up ta leave.

In observance of National Chili Day, gonna do the white chili thing tomorrow. In the mean time I think I'll sack out. Might need an early start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com