Author Topic: Club question  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Club question
« on: October 27, 2005, 05:50:04 PM »
Howdy all,
just wondering how many clubs out there are incorporated under the laws/statutes of their indiviidual states? What type of corporation? Thanks and take care.
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Club question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »
The Johnson County Rangers, Inc., is incorporated in Kentucky as a not-for-profit corporation.  We are also incorporated under chapter 501.  We did so to adequately address liability problems.  If your local club/posse is not incorporated, I highly recommend that you check into it at the earliest date.
French Jack

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:29:52 PM »
Thanks Jack.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:03 PM »

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:56:47 PM »
Thanks for responding Joss. I've e-mailed you.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 09:00:18 AM »
I sure hope Irish Dave weighs in here, since I don't know the answer.  (I THINK  we're not incorporated, but I'm not sure.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:45:43 AM »
The Kansas Vigilance Committee is a corporation in good standing in the state of Kansas.

I have always wondered if our original application left a trail of wet panties in Topeka!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »
Jeff:

Our good pard fka "Dutch" has confirmed my belief that the Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co. is indeed incorporated as a non-profit organization.

Hope this helps.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 07:15:51 AM »
Thanks Dave.  AND Dutch!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »
Would someone care to explain the facts concerning how incorperating protects in liability suits?

(I understand them as pertains to my home state but can't put it into words very well)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 06:28:02 PM »
The club I shoot at in Virginia is split into two  non-profit 501 C-7 corporations each with its own board of directors.
The Northern Virginia Shooting Facility (NVSF) is the land holder and leases the land exclusively to the gun club.
The Nothern Virginia Gun Club (NVGC) operates the club.

The feeling is that if the gun club gets sued, then it has no assets to worry about.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 04:32:37 AM »
Cuts, the reason for incorporation is to limit the exposure of club members and officers to liability.  Basically the limit is the assets of the corporation.  This is the concept, though I am sure the specifics may vary from state to state.
French Jack

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 11:37:43 PM »
Cutts,
I believe the officers of a corporation can not be held personally libel if the club is sued.  Unless of course, they broke some law or were personally negligence.
Keep yer Powder Dry!
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »
I ran bird dog field trials for 16 years in Virginia while on active duty, all of the clubs incorporated themselves for the very reasons stated above ( in case some one accidentially get shot or bit by a dog, etc).  But a very senior Navy JAG lawyer at a field trial once told me that a good lawyer could take apart incorporations papers easily, so my advise to any officers in a shooting organization, have a good lawyer on retainer...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »
... a good lawyer ...

Aren't those pretty rare?  ;) ;D

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 05:05:48 PM »
Basically, that's what I understood. However, I also understood what Wymore commented on...a "good attorny"  can rip a new one in court, and incorperating may or may not provide protection to the board members. For the most part someone who sues will name all of the board members in the suit and each of them will have to retain a lawyer to protect their interests in the lawsuit. Ergo, as a board member you may find some protection but you will still have to hire a land shark make sure you get it. Usually the attorny representing the club will do it for you as individuals, but it will cost you personally to to retain him for YOU. (this IS how they make their living after all) If you are named in a suit and think that "The clubs lawyer will take care of it for me" without actually retaining him, you will find your name left off of any motion to dismiss the "individuals" named in the suit.... and yer in a world of hurt! I saw this happen to an acquaintance who had moved away from the area prior to a suit being brought against a local club. He was unaware of the suit, and technecaly still a board member, and a judgement was rendered against the club and HIM personnally because he was unrepresented during the motions to dismiss. It turned into a major nightmare for him!!!!!!

I have been a member of the board of my local sportsmens club for many years, saddly I find that I can no longer remain in that capacity because of issues like this. I have to think of my family first and formost. Unfortuantely I am not on the upper end of the income scale and having to pay a landshark to protect me in such an event would be devestating to my financial situation! There was a recent incident in which a trap boy was injured and things got complicated! Our insurance refused to pay the medical bills because he was considered an "Employee" and therefor not covered by liabilty insurance. (under Iowa law he was considered a "day worker" and not covered by workmans comp either) The board dug into their own pockets to pay the bills in that case and fortunately the parents of the injured boy did not want to seek further damages! We now have special insurance to cover trap boys, but we have to make a major increase in fees and membership dues to cover the cost of that insurance! This has, of course, resulted in a loss of shooters attending and a decrease in renewed/new memberships! End result: the club may not survive. :'(
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
as effective as a good lawyer at a much lower cost:

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"