Author Topic: Mosin Nagent revolver price  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Mosin Nagent revolver price
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
Mosin Nagant revolver in a local shop.  It looks almost new, checkering is excellent, metal and bore are outstanding.  Comes with an extra 7 shot cylinder in .32 ACP.  He wants about 170.00 for it.  I am thinking on it.  Any input as to the value is greatly appreciated.  I think there is a holster as well.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Moisin Nagent revolver price
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Bob,

Sounds very interesting. Almost any center fire revolver is worth that asking price!
Do you know which Model type?
What is the standard Cylinder chambered for? Is ammo available for either cylinder?
If you get it... which discipline would you use it in?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Almost any center fire revolver is worth that asking price!
Do you know which Model type?
What is the standard Cylinder chambered for? Is ammo available for either cylinder?
If you get it... which discipline would you use it in?
My best,
Blair

As I recall it was stamped 1895 and there is of course .32 ACP ammo available, they said the other was available I believe it was (know nothing about these) 7.62x38r?  Something of that nature?  I have read in years past that people converted them to shoot .32 S&W bu that may not be right, as I said I know nothing truly about them, just thought "170.00 for a gun in that shape . . . ."

I would buy it because it is extremely old and cool.  It was double action so it is right out for SASS shooting.  What disciplines would allow its use?

Cheers,

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

Re: Mosin Nagent revolver price
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:58:25 PM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
It was double action so it is right out for SASS shooting.  What disciplines would allow its use?

GAF!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
Bob,

Just my prospective, I don't consider 1892 as being "very" old. Yet, the asking price for this revolver is really rather attractive.

My suggestion is to do some research (as best you can) into the ammo and it's availability in this country for this firearm.
Some of this, if available, can be hard to find and/or very expensive. Again, I do not know. (This is well outside my time period for Cowboy Shooting.)

There are disciplines that may allow this firearm on this forum? I do not have an answer for that.
Of course, none of this info may mean nothing to you and your interest. But, that is up to you.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
The almost caliber is .32-20.  Sometimes the rim has to be thinned, and it won't do the gas-seal thing.  You can get proper Nagant brass from privi partisan but its tricky to load as LEE dies are made for  use with .32-20 brass.  I have a few loaded and can share my tricks if anyone is interested.

If I recall correctly, NCOWS may allow it, to replicate any of the BP Nagant revolvers of that era.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
My suggestion is to do some research (as best you can) into the ammo and it's availability in this country for this firearm.

All worthy advice, thanks.
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
The almost caliber is .32-20.  Sometimes the rim has to be thinned, and it won't do the gas-seal thing.  You can get proper Nagant brass from privi partisan but its tricky to load as LEE dies are made for  use with .32-20 brass.  I have a few loaded and can share my tricks if anyone is interested.

If I recall correctly, NCOWS may allow it, to replicate any of the BP Nagant revolvers of that era.

As a novice reloader this scares me off a tad.  Thanks Sir Charles.
- Cole Younger

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
Going price around here, and online, seems to be about $200, and that's just the standard pistol, no extra cylinder. 32ACP is available, and you can find both surplus Russian and occasionally Privi Partisan ammo for them. As Sir Charles mentioned, you can also make brass out of 32-20. I'd probably jump on it at that price, especially if it's an earlier import that isn't defaced with the giant import marks some of the later ones had.

Expect a heavy trigger pull. Get one of those spring loaded grip exercisers and build up your trigger finger muscles. Look on Gunboards or Surplusrifleforum for a trick to lighten the DA pull by placing a slightly smashed lead bullet or a small nut in the leaves of the main spring. First time I picked one up, I actually couldn't make it fire DA! But I've heard some of them aren't that bad.

If your SASS club won't let you shoot one at least at local matches, they're just being too picky. It's not like a DA with a 20+lb trigger pull is going to give you some great advantage.

Drydock has a couple of them, and has worked out most of the bugs as far as using them.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
Going price around here, and online, seems to be about $200, and that's just the standard pistol, no extra cylinder.

Yeah, the extra cylinder makes it a decent deal to my mind.  I will look over the proof marks and others, thanks!  Gunbroker they start around 150.00 (current auction, might go up) to much more for special pistols (1913 Manufacture was I think about 800.00). 
- Cole Younger

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
The extra cylinder would be a great deal, I think. I don't think they have made those for a while. .32 ACP would be a snap for even an inexperienced reloader to load. (except for maybe getting finger cramps from handling those tiny cases)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:26:15 PM »
At that price with the extra cylinder, I'd grab it, no questions!  They don't make those cylinders anymore.  

If the gun has been refurbished at some point, it will probably use .32-20 brass with no modifications.  Of the three I own, 2 will take .32-20 brass no problems, both are Refurbs.   Only the non refurbed 1935 will not.

HOWEVER.  The CURRENT Lee die set WILL load Nagant gas seal ammo.  I have such a set, and thats what I use.  Grafs and Midway have PRVI Nagant brass, and its really not that hard to load, the bullet just seats deeper in the case than what we're used to.  The only caveat is that the gas seal feature works the case mouth pretty hard, and it cracks after 3 or 4 loadings, so I mostly load .32-20 brass conventionaly, and save the Nagant brass for special occasions.

In your case, I'd just use the 32 acp cylinder until I felt comfortable to experiment with the more exotic Nagant rounds.  These are simple, robust and strong revolvers.  My son enjoys shooting his at our GAF events.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
At that price with the extra cylinder, I'd grab it, no questions!  

Thanks brother.
- Cole Younger

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
You could just buy one of these as well, and be set for quite a while . . .

http://www.jgsales.com/7.62-nagant-7.62x38r-russian-surplus-108gr-fmj-ammo,-1092rd-sealed-tin.-p-6866.html

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Nice on the round count!

However, I just spoke with my kid and the Memsahib and it looks like like one of the two we currently have in college is going to need a new set of wheels.  Top off that with I just won an argument with the wife and I need to find a really pricey gift for her dad . . . .

I won't be getting the Nagant this summer. 

How things change in a day
- Cole Younger

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
Where is it?  Close enough, I might grab it myself, sell it to you for cost next year.  I like doing load development for these things.

Ah crud, yer in Floridy . . .

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
If anyone is interested I will happily get the info for them. 
- Cole Younger

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
Well, If it was local I'd find a way to jump on it, but since after paying shipping and paying an FFL, I'd probably have at least $230 or so in it, I'll just have to spend my money on something else. Been trying to put together a new persona for Expansion Era, but then I happened to see an S-71 German bayonet on E-bay that has nothing to do with anything, except that it would look awesome hanging on the end of my GEW88.......Just have to see how high it goes for....

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »
Can you put it on layaway, and give up beer & tobacco til its paid for?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com