« on: October 15, 2005, 05:59:34 PM »
 ::)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Firt Time BP Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »
Ya know Seth, I got an Open Top in 38 Special, that behaves purdy much the same way. I 'cn get through a 5 stage match with it, but it gunks up the cylinder arbor pretty badly after that. Seems like no matter what I use on that arbor, it still slows down a bit after 4 or 5 stages. HOWEVER: I can take it apart, wipe 'n greeze the arbor, put it back together, and keep right on goin! B'fore I started usin' the Snakebite in it, cleaning the arbor wuz a major undertakin and couldn't get through more than two 'r three stages!!! Seems like accuracy never suffers though,with the Snakebites so I'm happy!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 06:29:51 PM »
Seth,
Not enough grease in the right places. I don't shoot cartridge BP in the pistolas but similar fouling results in my menangerie of C&Bs. I can shoot my ASM 44cal '51 Navies all day without gumming up but my Remingtons (Ubertis) go about 1-3 stages before gumming up. Don't let things gum up too far as it really works the hand (the one inside the gun). The easiest solution I can offer to both treat & diagnose the exact fouling that is causing the  trouble is this:
First of all it doesn't matter if the arbor lube you use is petroleum based or not. I use AMS/OIL synthetic (automotive) grease or generic lithium grease (Lubriplate or a 1 lb can of white grease). When your gun starts to gum up, put one or two drops of oil (I use Ballistol but even a BP solvent or water would work too) right onto the arbor just under the forcing cone of the barrel and tilt the gun up to make it flow down between the cylinder & arbor. Jiggle the cylinder to see if that frees it up. If so, your fouling problem is between the cylinder & the arbor. That is the case with my Remingtons so I put one drop of oil between the frame & front of the cylinder to work it down onto the cylinder pin (arbor) and that frees it up for at least one stage. I do that after each charging. Takes about 15 seconds if that.
Now, if the oil drop doesn't free up the binding then it is probably between the cylinder face and the barrel. Two solutions: wipe off the cylinder face between stages (no need to disassamble) or drive the wedge out just a little bit to increase the cylinder gap so there is room for fouling to build up without binding. No wiping needed. My Colt's percussin' revolvers will bind up if I drive the wedges in too far. I have settled on a gap of .007" set by that thickness of paper (super cheap "feeler guage") placed between the barrel & cylinder as I tap in the wedge after cleaning & oiling.  A folded piece of copy paper will also do which is usually .035" thick times 2=.07".
Try these suggestions and I'll bet you'll figure out where the problem lies so you can do a few minimal maintenance steps during a match and not have to knock the gun apart and get your hands all dirty till the match is over.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

Re: -
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:51:47 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 09:51:20 PM »
Howdy, Seth!

Sounds like you're well on the way toward BP success, if not already there!

You'll be a Soot Lord 'fore ya know it!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »
 ;D

Ya mite want to put some anti-sieze compound on the ratchet paw n, the cylinder base pin. 8)

::)
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 09:20:12 AM »
Seth,
I use a grease cookie in all my black powder loads and never have had any fouling or sticking of either rifle or pistol. It's a little more work, but us old long range big bore black powder shooters swear by those grease cookies.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com