Author Topic: SPG vs. beeswax/tallow  (Read 27948 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: SPG vs. beeswax/tallow
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
I'll put in a plug here for my PL-II.  It stores well, stands heat and works well in cold.  It moves properly thru my Star lube/sizer.  I've just completed shooting Smoke in the Hills with some of my oldest ammo.  No hickups, accuracy problems or function questions.  Of course, I was shooting only Big Lube®LLC boolits in my 44 ELR guns.  That's 44 Extra Long Russian to us black powder shooters.  44 Magnum to those in Rio Linda.

So, for accuracy, function, price, convenience, I offer PL-II.  Love the stuff.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:18 AM »
Not to be a pissant, Noz, but I think paraffin is a petroleum wax, prolly wasn't around for the Spirit of '76 . . .

In Britain, the word paraffin is commonly used to describe what we here in the states call kerosene. I suspect that is what is being referred to in the quote from Noz.

Believe it or not, kerosene has been around a very long time. It was described by a Persian scholar in the 9th Century.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
I'll put in a plug here for my PL-II.
Can anyone with some real-life  experience compare it with  "traditional" home-made lube recipes, like beeswax/tallow 50-50 ?
Dick - you forgot to tell the poster the recipe!  ;D
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:44:01 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
Crisco and deer tallow, 50/50. After using various mixtures of canola oil, paraffin, beeswax, Crisco, EVOO, and a few other things I settled on Crisco and deer tallow. Seems ta work the best of all of them. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
Ho JB,

There are three ingredients.  Two are from the original published recipe.  The third is not, nor will it be.  But, that said, PL-II is an excellent black powder AND smokeless powder lube for Cowboy Action Shooting.  The hallmark of PL-II is the ease of cleanup.  The combination of Big Lube®LLC bullets and PL-II assures continuing accuracy and function regardless of the number of shots taken, even in consecutive days of shooting, without need to clean.  This holds true for both Genuine Powder, kiss your sister wanna be substitute black powder and heathen fad smokeyless powder.

How am I doing JB?  Is this what you were asking for?

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Any regular BP lube can work well in CAS shooting or in humidity for that matter. The real test is when it is 100F and less than 20% relative humidity that most lubes fall flat on their face in BPCR (Silhouette & Long Range). Aeordynamics prevent bullets with deep lube grooves from achieving good accuracy at long range which also hampers the matter.

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
Hello Lads,
Have been following this line, I am a new BPCR shooter, and all this lube talk makes my inbred head hurt.

I read Paul Matthews book on lubes, and his comments on his two favorite blends was the problem of crystallization of the end product, causing brittleness and it's reaction to temp extremes.

This got me to thinking, I have in my past hobbies and a small business worked with silicone casting rubber and two part resn for casting models, toys and parts for vintage items.

One of the problems we had in using these products was voids in the end product caused by trapped air, and  crystals in the end products due to improper mixing and handling. We solved this problem by using a vacuum chamber to pull a vacuum on the resins in their mixed state. this removed the trapped air and halted the Crystal formation.

I am wondering if this would work on some of the lube recipes while they are in their liquid state.. The end product would be smoother no doubt, and should cause a better adherence to the bullet and the iron in the rifle.
I know that Crisco and similar shortenings are run through a vacuum to remove the air and moisture before packing.

Just 2 cents and being bored at home.

Wolf Killer
DB

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
To Steel Horse Bailey: It's heartening to hear you recite the reasons why we use real black powder, just as the old dead guys did. Thanks for restating the case so concisely and so eloquently!
 :)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
Oregon Bill,

It's very nice of you to say that.

BP is FUN!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
The joys of BP loading ... and shooting.  It ain't for the faint of heart ... But when your shooting Pard lets loose with a full load of BP and you see that big red, white 'n yellow flame, plus the beautiful cloud of billowing white smoke and hear that deep B*O*O*M! you'll know WHY  you go to all the trouble to load your shells with that most wonderful of all shooting powders!
Every Friday, a bunch of us old timers get together for an informal trap shoot.  Today, on the first round I fired a box of black powder.  Now, these guys have never smelled BP smoke - but they did today and we had a a good conversation at the end of the round because they couldn't figure why the clouds were indicating the wind direction down range.  Plus what was impairing their vision when it was their turn for the bird
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
Fog of war JB, fog of war.  Let them eat smoke.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
Every Friday, a bunch of us old timers get together for an informal trap shoot.  Today, on the first round I fired a box of black powder.  Now, these guys have never smelled BP smoke - but they did today and we had a a good conversation at the end of the round because they couldn't figure why the clouds were indicating the wind direction down range.  Plus what was impairing their vision when it was their turn for the bird

John Boy, I'll bet they were suitably impressed!  Did any of them express any interest in trying BP?

Keep getting the word out, pards!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
I use SPG in my BPCR loads foir convenience, but my own bees wax/olive oil mix for cap & ball. Simple is good. I make the mix firm enough to not melt away even on a hot day.
One of the best cap & ball shooters I know does NOT use lube at all on his Walkers, and Ruger Old Army's. Chain fires and fouling - nil.

I have noticed the drying out and flaking of SPG in bullets that have been stored improperly for a few years. Easily solved as noted by others.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
Did any of them express any interest in trying BP?
Bailey, the 99.9% population answer ... No.  Heck I only clean my shotgun once a year
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
A guy with a Winchester gas operated shotgun won the trap event at a BP national match I put on. That night he got royally drunk and was sick for two days.
When he got around to cleaning his gun, he was shocked .... said it was in a pretty sad state.

I also just found out that a cap & ball pal has shot BP in his 1911. It worked, but I don't know for how long. That must have been one dirty gun .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
Bailey, the 99.9% population answer ... No.  Heck I only clean my shotgun once a year

J.B., sadly, you're right.

A guy with a Winchester gas operated shotgun won the trap event at a BP national match I put on. That night he got royally drunk and was sick for two days.
When he got around to cleaning his gun, he was shocked .... said it was in a pretty sad state.

I also just found out that a cap & ball pal has shot BP in his 1911. It worked, but I don't know for how long. That must have been one dirty gun .....

Dirty indeed!

I've heard of folks putting lower-power springs in their 1911s and running that way, but I don't wish to do that, myself - no matter HOW much fun I have shooting BP!

But it might be interesting just once ...
 ;)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
A few shooters I know are travelling to NZ to compete in the 'Wild Bunch' shoots (pump action shotguns illegal here and 45s heavily controlled). They all seem to be using Black Powder in their 1911s. I must ask them about it when I come across them.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com