Author Topic: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels  (Read 36890 times)

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »

I see most of the same things yo all have reported.
I can get past the authenticity issues somewhat just because it's so refreshing to see a new Western series on the tube.

I like the dark, grittiness of the series and see traces of "Deadwood" in it from time to time. Don't think that's accidental.

My biggest complaint is that so far it is v.e..r..y...s...l....o.....w.
That's the writers' fault. It seems to be moving "real slow, like 'lasses in wintertime" to quote the buffhunter in Outlaw Josey Wales.

Generally, I think the characters are interesting, tho' Colm Meany (a fine actor) playing the RR baron has been given a role that so far is a very poor substitute for Ian McShane's Al Swearingen.

Eternally optimistic, I will continue to watch in hopes the pace will pick up. The writers have some great material to work with (time, place etc) but so far have done very little to capitalize on it IMHO.

My fingers remain crossed, however.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
What I find funny is so many complain about the show having so many thing not being correct, yet they compain about the show being slow.  Most likely more action than a real hell on wheels town on average or at least more action for the several people it focus's on.  We all know the violence of the time was exagerated a lot, made good copy in the newspapers.

I'll watch it when I have time to for what it is, something that is really worth or at least sorta worth me taking the time to watch it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »

Del:

Pard. Not really talking about violence. Talking about good writing. Big difference.

Pace is not a function of violence or "action." Plot is moved forward by many devices including external and internal conflict, reformation, antagonist and protagonist confrontations, sub-plots, unexpected turns or twists, character development and many others.

I may be alone here, but IMHO, "Deadwood" featured some of the highest levels of art, intelligent writing and acting ever connected to the "western" genre. However, if you actually analyze the series, I recall that there were several episodes without a single gunshot. True, there were other violent acts from time to time, but they typically did not dominate the story line.

Not trying to pick a squabble, pard, just saying that folks shouldn't construe slow writing to mean a lack of violence.
If Hell on Wheels was intended to be a documentary, I would view it in a different light. As it is, it's billed as entertainment, which generally requires that folks be entertained. For me, I personally would be better entertained if they picked up the pace of the story.

It's a good series. I'd just like to see it be a great series.

Now, let's have a drink.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 09:36:12 PM »

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »

...It's a good series. I'd just like to see it be a great series...

Hear, hear...

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
If you look at the show from a PC. Then the pace is the one thing that is PC. Just think on it, all these people living their lives around the building of the railroad. They are tring to get by by whatever means they can. Then the star, he has to make a living. His main goal is getting the people that killed his wife. That is what has brought him to the railroad and now his job as foreman. If you were reading the book it would be very thick. The overall story would be good, but the chapters slow reading. On this scale you are looking at so many people's lifes and how they enterweave. It it was on during the day, it would be a soap. Tj  ;D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
Irish Dave, you are not alone!   Not only some of the best in the Western Genre, some of the best on TV period. 

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
some of the best on TV period. 

That might not always be a complement considering what most pretty much all the stuff on TV is.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
(. 

The way I understand it, the character portrayed by Colm Meany is the only figure from real-life.  I don't know about how accurate his portrayal is, but I can see a dastardly figure like he portrays could have existed.  His scheme of milking the Government for his "$16,000 per mile of track laid" might have happened in those days of limited communication and such.  He's a REAL S.O.B. and quite the schemer.

;)

Actually it was Durant that was in charge of construction, there are still Durants working for the Union Pacific.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »

Mogorilla wrote:

Not only some of the best in the Western Genre, some of the best on TV period. 

By golly, I'd agree with that.

TJ:
I understand your point. It probably does reflect a pretty mundane existence.
On the other hand, the 1942 Chicago phone book would contain 100 percent Period Correct information if you were recreating the WWII period, but I don't think I'd want to read it (or watch it being read to me) for entertainment purposes.  ;)

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »
On the other hand, the 1942 Chicago phone book would contain 100 percent Period Correct information if you were recreating the WWII period, but I don't think I'd want to read it (or watch it being read to me) for entertainment purposes.  ;)

And that's where lies the problem with most if not all shows like this, folks want them period correct, but want them exciting and entertaining at the same time. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
Oh well, think I will keep watcing it. Looks like a good fist fight next week. Louis L'Amour sure could write some good ones in his westerns. Think I read that he was in the ring at one time during his life.
I guess reading the 1942 Chicago phone book would depend on what you hoped to gain from it. Even though the show is slow it is entertainment. Sure beats dancing with the stars, or lost on some Island, or couples racing other couples around the world. Or the View or cook shows. Sorry, just don't care much for today's tv.
Dave, hope it improves and you enjoy it. One thing about it, we can still turn that tv set off, or put our favorite dvd in. Tj  :) 
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 06:45:05 AM »
I still can't forgive HBO for killing off Deadwood prematurely.  I actually dropped HBO after that happened.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
I wish that now that I have HBO, I could see the series as a rerun.  They've shown about 2 season's worth, but none of the first shows.  (With Hickock.)  "HBO ON Demand" doesn't show all, just selected bits.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
I mentioned another new AMC western in an earlier post, has anyone else seen the ad yet?  I've only seen it once and missed the name of it.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
I remember the first time you asked.  No One remembers the name.  What I remember is that it is scheduled in mid-Dec. so there's still time.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
I'll look at the web site, was just bein lazy an fishin in here.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
It's going to be on TNT and is called 'Gateway'.  Latest news I can find is that the pilot is in the can.  Lets cross our fingers.

Roland Deschain

Henry4440

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
 ‘Gateway’ is about an action/adventure set in a town of the same name in Colorado in the 1880s. The story chronicles three brothers who step up to save their town when their sheriff father is murdered, pitting them against a corrupt cattle baron determined to make the town his own.
McKenna (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) wrote the script. He is executive producing with CSI director/executive producer Cannon, who is also attached to direct the pilot. Also expected to be involved is Deran Serafian (House).
 ;)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
Sounds like another DVR recording!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
‘Gateway’ is about an action/adventure set in a town of the same name in Colorado in the 1880s. The story chronicles three brothers who step up to save their town when their sheriff father is murdered, pitting them against a corrupt cattle baron determined to make the town his own.
McKenna (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) wrote the script. He is executive producing with CSI director/executive producer Cannon, who is also attached to direct the pilot. Also expected to be involved is Deran Serafian (House).
 ;)

Some how that plot seems familiar. ;D  Not a problem though. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com