Author Topic: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels  (Read 36886 times)

Offline triple w

• Top Active Citizen
  • Y'a got'a love a hobby that makes y'a feel so good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Anyone else seen this. I think it is starting Fall,2011. I hope it's half as good as it looks in this trailer.  :)

http://tvguru.com.au/2011/05/amcs-new-show-hell-on-wheels-gets-a-trailer/
BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
 1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »
I'll be frank. IMO it looks stupid in that it's the typical Hollywood BS of the "lone wolf" mysterious gunman righting a wrong, blah, blah, blah. I also saw glimpses of political "correctness" that obviously are nowhere near reality for that era. Just my opinion & worth what you were charged.  ;)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
Well, in my opinion there hasn't been a western on TV since Deadwood, way too long a time.  I will give it a shot and unless the acting is atrocious, I will support it.  I grew up watching the old westerns in syndication, and if we want to continue to bring the sport and history to young audiences, this is the way to do it.   15 years from now I would like to think NCOWS will still be growing, but we can only do so much as a group to bring the fun out.  We need pop culture to bring back the American Myth to the world.   The American West is our contribution to the world's stories of myth and legend and we need to support it.
I also am a fan of Colm Meaney and it sure looked like Ted Levine in there as well.    Looked good to me and I will give it a chance.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:19:48 PM »

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Well, you got cowboys, Indians, guns, trains.......how can you go wrong?

GB
Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
Just for the sake of discussion only...
Hollywood grasped at the chance to make a $ in the early days of the 1900's and did a great job of making mucho $ on what we now happily call 'Westerns'. OK, were they historically correct? Nope. Were they period or politically-correct as we now like to say? Nope. So, who cares? Not many as they were an integral part of our developing entertainment culture and what we now know as movie history.
So, do any Western movies actually get it right? Many have over the years including some John Wayne and other flicks. Some say that the HBO series 'Deadwood' did, others have stated that the series 'Into the West' did, yet others have gushed over the NBC series in the 1970's titled 'Centennial' as the definitive Western Expansion series as it gave us a bona fide look at how the West was really settled, at least through the eyes of a known and seasoned writer.
Now, don't get me wrong here Pards & Pardettes, I'm just looking at the whole enchilada from a commercial perspective and how it plays out in the overall economy of Hollywood and the entertainment industry, and we must accept the fact that it IS an industry, right?
As I watched the promo video I saw to my delight an actor that always gives me satisfaction that at least somebody is trying to help get the original story 'right', his name is Wes Studi and he appears briefly in the promo shooting an arrow.As an American Indian, Studi has acted in many historical venues and always brings to the forefront the reality of how things were as he does extensive research to his part and transfers that to the wide screen. If you have ever seen him in a movie or TV series you'll understand what I mean.
Hopefully this mini-series will get the due it deserves and bring this part of our hobby history to the point of recognition it deserves.
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. My G-Grand father came over from Norway in the 1860's and worked on the Union Pacific and C&NW RR lines in a security job, sure wish we had more info on what he actually did, but those old family records are long gone, sad to say, would sure be some fine historically reading to say the least and might even give us a better look at the mini-series plot, HAH!

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
Well, you got cowboys, Indians, guns, trains.......how can you go wrong?

GB

Amen Griz . . . Amen.

I think it'll be better than "Cowboys vs. Aliens"  which is our other choice for "western" entertainment this summer.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »

I think it'll be better than "Cowboys vs. Aliens"  which is our other choice for "western" entertainment this summer.

Pancho
[/quote]

That could actually be funny!

GB
Rob Brannon
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »
I'll watch it, even though I saw a brass framed Remmy in the trailer. ;)

About any "Western" is going to be far better that the junk that's normally on TV.  Ain't had cable for years, wife and I got it again around Christmas, most time me thinks it is a 100% waste of money, on a good day it's still a 90% waste. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Did I hear that a tv series Guts and Glory is coming out? Or is it a movie? Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »
Did I hear that a tv series Guts and Glory is coming out? Or is it a movie? Tj

I thought that was just a Dodge truck commercial.

Offline triple w

• Top Active Citizen
  • Y'a got'a love a hobby that makes y'a feel so good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Just saw a up date froma AMC.. Fall 2011..........Dang!!
BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
 1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
I'll be frank. IMO it looks stupid in that it's the typical Hollywood BS of the "lone wolf" mysterious gunman righting a wrong, blah, blah, blah. I also saw glimpses of political "correctness" that obviously are nowhere near reality for that era. Just my opinion & worth what you were charged.  ;)

I agree but looking at it from the other side ... I grew up with folks like Roy, Gene, Cisco and Zorro ... Now there was Political Correctness and unreality by the bowl full.  In spite of that, those westerns hooked me and in spite of them, I search for Authenticity as many others do.

This western is a lot closer to reality than my youth presented, but like my youth it is entertainment first and foremost.  With luck, it will hook the next generation and get them started searching for authenticity and possibly come out and join us old folks before we are gone to greener pastures.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »
Del, please!

That picture made my eyes bleed!

GB
Rob Brannon
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
After seeing the trailer, and like many others have posted:
Well, in my opinion there hasn't been a western on TV since Deadwood, way too long a time.  I will give it a shot and unless the acting is atrocious, I will support it.

I've got to agree ;D  I'll give it a chance.  I love the stickler for historical accuracy shows, but one of my all-time favorites for when I just need to feel better is "For a Few Dollars More."
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
After seeing the trailer, and like many others have posted:
I've got to agree ;D  I'll give it a chance.  I love the stickler for historical accuracy shows, but one of my all-time favorites for when I just need to feel better is "For a Few Dollars More."

Willie you picked my all time favorite.  ;)
A work in progress.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
Mr. Ridgway,
it's not that accurate, but it sure is fun!  As long as this "Hell on Wheels" supplies the latter, like the trailer invokes, I'm going to be a fan.  Mr. Ford's cavalry movies weren't all that accurate either, and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is on the all-time great lists.  

And as a selfish note: my little persona story is set in a make-believe town on the Colorado River, and most that have read it have asked to the authenticity.  I laced it with plenty of truths.  

It's like we say over coffee in the Anthropology department: "Does it matter how 'historically accurate' it is, given that's based solely on the victor?  Or is it being culturally accurate the more important aspect?  Facts are facts, but truths, are truths."

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
That was well said.  I do research for a job and sometimes it's just nice to unwind with something where I don't care if that was the right gun or pants or shirt.  Sergio Leone is the perfect example. 
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
Few dollars more is one of my favorites too!   One of the many reasons I bought a shoulder stock for my 1860 Colt Army, Col. Mortimer is da bomb!    The western I watch when I want "to feel more comfortable" is Rio Lobo, one of the few John Wayne movies that could technically be labeled a stinker, but between the Duke and Jack Elam, it is worth it.  It is also, like most of the Duke's, full of historical inaccuracies.   
But Dare I say it,

Dare, do Dare

You'd watch it for Randolph Scott....

Wait for music... ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
Del, please!

That picture made my eyes bleed!

GB

Why Griz., of all folks I thought you would be all for my period correct sleepwear. ;D  You must have not been out prowling late at the 2005 muster.  (No the rumors started then are not true, the place is not haunted.) ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Why Griz., of all folks I thought you would be all for my period correct sleepwear. ;D  You must have not been out prowling late at the 2005 muster.  (No the rumors started then are not true, the place is not haunted.) ;D

;D

Mogorilla, I've got a shoulder stock now too, and boy is it ever fun to shoot with.  I'm trying to figure out a way to use it for my walker! ;D that'd be sweet.  Finally got her shootin this past weekend.  There was a door about 75 yards or so downrange in the quarry we shoot at... no better sound than that big ol' walker at full bore hitting that door with a .451 conical! It'd be sweet with the shoulder stock.

I'm really excited for this show now too, thinking about it.  I think that Deadwood was ahead of its time, and also being on HBO kept it from reaching a huge audience.  I'm really hoping this works out, I'm pulling for them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com