Author Topic: Renewing cast iron ware  (Read 16927 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Renewing cast iron ware
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
I have come into a couple of pieces of used cast iron ware -- both large Griswold skillets. These things are dirty and grimy and have all kinds of dust and Lord knows what on them. Is there a preferred technique to clean them down to their bones and then re-season? I'd just like to start clean and fresh.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Renewing cast iron ware
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »
I have come into a couple of pieces of used cast iron ware -- both large Griswold skillets. These things are dirty and grimy and have all kinds of dust and Lord knows what on them. Is there a preferred technique to clean them down to their bones and then re-season? I'd just like to start clean and fresh.

There are a couple of methods that work well though I have my preferred method. You can put it in an oven that has auto oven cleaning and it will do much of it. You can also get some of the spray/liquid oven cleaner and put it in a bag letting it sit for a couple of days. Or my preferred method is to simply take a wire brush in a drill motor and clean it that way.

As for re-seasoning I use lard and nothing but lard period. Simply coat the pan with it, put it on a tin foil or a backing tray and into the oven at 350° for about 1 hour, let it cool and wash in warm water (no soap). I never wash my cast iron with soap, I simply clean them while hot with water and a brush. Oh yes I do the whole pan with lard.

Other methods of seasoning use oil (oils do go rancid over time), fry bacon in it (same as lard but more a waste of bacon). There are a bunch of web sites on restoring cast iron which also applies to steel pans such as woks etc.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:38 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
Joe, Del, many thanks, pards.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »
Del,

I went back and re-read the seasoning thread again and am still confused. Does one oil the outside too?   Or do we just treat the cooking surface?  I have a couple of skillets that are flaking on the outside and will be getting cleaned and re-seasoned in the near future.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Jack N Water

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:31:03 AM »
I have been restoring a bunch of cast items over the past few months and found this method to work. 500 degree oven or the self clean cycle. Let the pieces cool to room temp and use a wire brush to remove the soot and what ever is left. wash in hot water, dry and place in a 350 oven. once reheated  remove from oven and spray with Pam cooking spray, return to oven and turn off the heat. let pieces cool to room temp.
SASS 86688
GAF 756
RATS 604
NRA

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
Del,

I went back and re-read the seasoning thread again and am still confused. Does one oil the outside too?   Or do we just treat the cooking surface?  I have a couple of skillets that are flaking on the outside and will be getting cleaned and re-seasoned in the near future.

Entire surface, Modoc, for the reseasoning. Then just re-oil those surfaces that touch food. On pans, I re-oil the entire inner surface and the sides on the outside after use. The flat bottom that goes next to the heat source I don't worry too much about, but when putting them away for the winter, or if they sat out in the rain/snow when used at an event I will swipe the bottom with some olive oil. I do that last as the char makes a black goo.
Seasoning is not only a non-stick cooking surface, but a rust preventative.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
Yep, thanks John.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Tonight I put together a simple electrolysis rig from stuff laying around the garage.  The only thing I had to buy was a box of washing soda for about $2.50.  Someone gave me a very old, crusty spider skillet, so I'm giving it the treatment.  From what I've read, a lot of cast iron collectors use this method for cleaning old iron.  It brings them back to like new appearance.  Removes rust, crust and muck, with no harm to the iron.

Here's the spider I started with, ugly silver paint and all:

Here is the spider in the electrolysis bath:

Here's a description of the electrolysis set up.

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Try it for yourself, it doesn't get much simpler than this.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »
ndnchf: How did your electrolysis adventure turn out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com