Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 07:16:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag  |  The Pantry (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Seasoning and Reseasoning Cast Iron 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seasoning and Reseasoning Cast Iron  (Read 3903 times)
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »

A lot of newer cast iron is presesoned at the factory and just needs rinsed and dried before use.

Clean new or used cast iron, get it down to bare metal, get all rust preservatives off new or old seasoning with camp fire, self cleaning oven or hard work with coarse steel wool and soap and hot water. When you are done never ever let me catch you using soap again.

Dry the piece on the stove, when it is cool enough to handle wipe it well with olive oil. I use the cheap stuff, but I like the flavor of it better so that is what I keep around any way.

Put the piece in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour or so. Let it cool , wipe it down again and bake it at 500 degrees for 1/2 hour or so. When it is cool start using. Cook greasy, type foods in it for the first few uses. Stay away from chili, sauerkraut or other acid foods.

Wash it with water and a rag, dry it on the stove and wipe with olive oil after each use for a while. When It looks shiny and oily after drying ya don't have to wipe it, any time it don't wipe it.

The reason to use it is that it is not a drying oil. It will not get gummy or turn rancid in storage, so you don't have to prop the lid open in storage. (Try storing a dozen or so ovens with the lids propped open) The pieces I use a lot I just wipe with hog lard cause they don't have time to sit around and get rancid. (I could have called it pork fat, but my band is out on break.)

If you make a boo boo in your pan that don't wipe out, just put water in it and boil it and let it cool, that should do it. If that don't work use some steel wool or other scrubber, it will remove some of the seasoning , but not as much as soap. Besides that we now know how to reseason it by wiping with olive oil and reheating.
When I get a used piece of cast iron cookware I like to clean it completely and start over and season it my way. I used to take these with me on a trip and place the piece in the fire in the evening while we were sitting around it just talking and drinking the beverage of choice. (In my case coffee) This does a good job of removing years of use.

Recently I have found another way that is handier and it also works well for those Chinese pieces that are so hard to clean with soap and water before seasoning.

Simply place the piece in the oven and push the clean button, chances are the oven needs cleaned also. When it is done and cooled, just scrub lightly with steel wool and soapy water. It is ready to season.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:05 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:09:07 pm »

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag  |  The Pantry (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Seasoning and Reseasoning Cast Iron « previous next »
Jump to: