Author Topic: WTB: Spencer Infantry Rifle (Taylor, 56-50)  (Read 4053 times)

Offline knightmare

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTB: Spencer Infantry Rifle (Taylor, 56-50)
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
Hello all, it's good to be back from such a long hiatus!

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to own --and shoot repeatedly-- a "Spencer" before I die. Well, given problems I've been having with my 'good' eye, I've renewed my resolve to fulfill this quest before I go completely blind. My ancestor rode with Wilder's "Hatchet/Lightning Brigade" (B Company,123rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry [Mounted]) and I would like to get outfitted as close to possible to how he was. I am a former paratrooper and with me the Army tie is very strong.

From what I've learned from the forum (and books that I've read) I need a 'Taylor' in 56-50. I'm not opposed to new, but I have a modest budget and realize that the weapon itself is only a portion of the expense. I'll still need to purchase dies, bullet mould, brass, "tuning", and someday maybe a cavalry shell jacket (with yellow trim removed of course). With this in mind, I'm anticipating buying a used one. I understand that the infantry rifle is not as common as the carbine and expect that this may take some time so I'm starting to shop now.

To help finance this quest, I'll be selling/trading a WW2 era Garand in 75% condition (needs new wood) and/or a 'Bushmaster' AR-15 in mint condition (purchased new in 2000 and never fired).

Guys, given that information, what are your recommendations as to how to proceed?

--Knightmare

35th Signal Brigade (Airborne) -'84-'87
  19th Special Forces Group (Airborne) -'87-'90

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: WTB: Spencer Infantry Rifle (Taylor, 56-50)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
Knightmare;

While I have seen used Taylor Spencer carbines for sale, I have yet to see a used Spencer Infantry Rifle in any caliber, let alone 56-50.  If I had seen one at a reasonable price, I might have bought it myself!   ;D  My suggestion would be to contact Taylor's and see what is available.  They are very good folks to work with.  As for the reloading piece, I am pretty sure our brothers here can get you started with some bullets and brass and such....
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline knightmare

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
Thanks Mossyrock.
     You're right, I hadn't seen very many used carbines let alone rifles before my 'break'. I know that most of the members of the forum are significantly more knowledgeable and active in this arena than I am. I'm hoping that the more eyes that are looking the better!
     As for Taylor's, I believe they only sell new and was hoping to avoid their prices. I'm trying to maximize my budget. As of yet, I don't have buyers yet for the Bushmaster or the Garand but I anticipate taking a loss on them.With only one eye, my need for long ranged weaponry has decreased by 50%! So I'm selling my ranged weapons.

--Knightmare

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:13 PM »

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Some Thing Like This?,.....

Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline knightmare

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
Sweet set-up, Sarge.
     Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking, but I'll need the infantry rifle. They were infantry and very proud of it. In fact, they went so far as to take off the crossed sabers on cavalry equipment issued to them. Perfect example, When issued shell jackets with cavalry trim, they immediately --and to a man-- removed the trim. I've seen one picture that looks to me as if the soldier went so far as to replace the cavalry trim on his shell jacket with infantry blue (sleeves and edge trim)! Can't tell for sure, though.
     Looks like I may have a buyer for the Bushmaster. One of the other officers at work likes it, but won't know for sure if he can afford it until early June. That should cover a little over half the cost if I have to go with a new one. Things are looking good to be shooting early fall!!

--Knightmare

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com