Author Topic: Ten Wolves, my new military Shiloh  (Read 14900 times)

Offline Pistol Blaine

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ten Wolves, my new military Shiloh
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
Very nice rifle Marshal !! I got my military rifle just before our Wisconsin deer hunting season and cobbled together a few rounds to sight in and take hunting.  Mine is a 50-70 and I really like that cartridge.  Have owned and shot old trapdoors and rolling blocks and one 69 conversion sharps carbine alot over the years.  Always great fun!!  I wanted a modern rifle (Sharps) as a dedicated hunting rifle and this one fills the bill.  My chamber is tight and the old style RCBS die set I have necks the case just right to chamber Starline,old stock Dixie and even Bertram brass without a hitch. It does however have a snug throat and will not accept the new Lyman 515141 specified at .512 dia unless I seat it very deep in the case.  It will accept my old Lyman 515141 at .515 dia sized down to .512 dia.  The diameter at the ogive of the new mold is larger than my old mold so I'm sizing those .515's down to .512 and shooting those over 70 grains of Swiss 1&1/2.  Just got the BACO .492/500gr paperpatched mold and cast a few to set dies and loading proceedure.  They drop .492 and patched out at .500 or just a hair less.  Slip friction fit in my full length/neck sized cases.  Nice slip fit in the bore!  I've got a BACO .501 expander and just have to turn a few thousands off my powder compression stem and I'll be in BUSINESS!!   Am filing up a paperpatch template this afternoon and will patch up some bullets over the weekend.  I've had very good results using the BACO .441/540 bullet in my 45-70 over 80grains of Swiss 1&1/2 in Winchester brass, CCI bench rest primers and a .30 wad  seated .220 in the case  (2 inch or less at 200 yards).  Will try them in my 45-90 with Starline brass, CCi bench rest primers and 100 to 105 grains of Swiss 1&1/2 with a .60 wad when the weather improves.  Also just cast up some BACO .444/540 bullets and give them a try in my .45 caliber rifles.  This bullet is the paperpatched version of the money bullet as cut by BACO so I'm hopeing that it really flys out to 1000 yards  Paper patched bullets are really working well for me and I'm pretty well sold on them.  Looking for a very full shooting season this year.  Try a paper patched bullet in you 45-70 and I think you will like the results!

Offline Hipshot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
Beautiful rifle Marshal, I just got a Sharps miltary carbine in 50-70. I'm trying to learn all I can about it. It's new unfired but I didn't get the paperwork or box. Is there a way to figure out what twist it has? It's got a 22" barrel. I'll post a few pics soon as I take em.
Hipshot

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Hipshot

You can use the ramrod/cleaning patch technique or ..... Pick up the phone and call Shiloh with the serial#. They will have the rot on file.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:37:36 PM »

Offline Hipshot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Hipshot

You can use the ramrod/cleaning patch technique or ..... Pick up the phone and call Shiloh with the serial#. They will have the rot on file.
I called and got the info, left Shilo in 2004 50-70 1 in 22" twist optional saddlebar and ring and blade front site like 1863 model.
Hipshot

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 03:00:43 PM »
You're welcome.

Your carbine is going to be able to stabiize bullets heavier than you might feel comfortable shooting. Bigger is not always better.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Hipshot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
You're welcome.

Your carbine is going to be able to stabiize bullets heavier than you might feel comfortable shooting. Bigger is not always better.

Yeah I hear that, at the moment I have two Lyman .50 cal moulds a 515139 that cast 330gr. and a Lyman 515141 that cast 425 gr. I don't know if the 425 will stabilize very well or not but I'll give it a try. If I had ordered this from Shiloh I would have asked for a slower twist.
Hipshot

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Military Shiloh
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:14 AM »
Hipshot

It isn't the heavier bullet you should be concerned about, but the lighter one. Heavier bullets generally require a faster twist in order not to tumble. I don't know from experience what happens when you shoot a lighter bullet out of a fast twist. Perhaps one of our forum 'experts' could enlighten us ....
I'm considering ordering a Lyman 350 gr mould for my 50-70s with the slow 1x36" twist. That way I'll be able to put in more BP and have a 50-70 'Express' load.
I ordered my new 50-70 carbine with the faster twist just because I have a .50 bullet mould that casts 545 gr bullets. That will flatten anything that crawls, walks or flies in my neck of the woods, but I bet that I won't be shooting many of them out of that carbine .....

Offline Hipshot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Military Shiloh
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:57 AM »
Hipshot

It isn't the heavier bullet you should be concerned about, but the lighter one. Heavier bullets generally require a faster twist in order not to tumble. I don't know from experience what happens when you shoot a lighter bullet out of a fast twist. Perhaps one of our forum 'experts' could enlighten us ....
I'm considering ordering a Lyman 350 gr mould for my 50-70s with the slow 1x36" twist. That way I'll be able to put in more BP and have a 50-70 'Express' load.
I ordered my new 50-70 carbine with the faster twist just because I have a .50 bullet mould that casts 545 gr bullets. That will flatten anything that crawls, walks or flies in my neck of the woods, but I bet that I won't be shooting many of them out of that carbine .....
PJ Hardtack
 Yeah I figured the 330 was too light and didn't know if the 425 was or not, The 330 and 425 are my moulds for my Smith carbine and I already had em, I thought I'd give the 425 a try in the Sharps and work my way up in weight if it don't shoot real well. What make is your mould that cast the 545 gr.
Hipshot

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
Hipshot

My 540 gr mould is a double cavity NEI product. It casts beautiful bullets.

Tell me about your Smith carbine .... is it worth the trouble re: cartridges, etc. Would it make a good deer round to 50 yds?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com