Author Topic: 1876 Winchester Modified  (Read 18729 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 708
Re: 1876 Winchester Modified
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
Very nice indeed. I really like what you have done with it.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
Very nice!  I like crescent buttplats, although I understand why some don't.  Looks nicely balanced, which I feel aids carrying in the hand.

I like them too Griff, and my '66, '73, and 45/60 '76 still sport them. Just wanted something a little different on this gun - sort of making it unique from the rest. It does balance out very nice - the true test will be when I get to shoot it like this.

Soon......in January for sure  :)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »
I like them too.  Everyone has their own idea of what they like and I'm no different.  I have many original 1876 Winchester rifles and carbines, but none with shotgun butts.  This is a feature that I don't care for, so I've never bought one for the collection.  Even my deluxe guns have all had crescent rifle butts.  I do like the short rifles, but I'm also a purist, so I would have cut them at original short rifle length of 22".  This is the same length as the original carbines.  All in all, you did a fine job and they look great.  They sure will be fun to shoot.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:06:47 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Dirty Brass
You have been hard at work . Love what you did with your rifle . Sorry I haven't been around lately but my job changed about a year and a half ago . Coal Miners work a lot . I work under ground and that's pretty interesting . Most of my coworkers are half my age .  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Hey there Rowdy. Ya, I've been trying to stay occupied. Daylight is too short, and temps are too cold right now.

Between these guns and some other stuff I worked on I've spent quite a few hours in the shop lately. My hunting season wasn't very good this year either, but still had a blast. Hope you had some luck if you managed to get out.

I noticed you hadn't been around much - kinda figured work got in the way (it always seems to :( ) Not to sure I'd wanna be underground working (or anywhere for that matter - retired now!) I hear ya on the "half my age" phenomenon - anyone half my age is still probably a respectable age anyhow, lol.

Continued good health to you Rowdy, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
One thing I would have liked to do is shorten the forearm, but I wasn't sure how to solve the dovetail cutout issue, so I left it alone. Pretty sure I'll do as Hobie suggested, and change the butt plate to a SG version. It's what winter is for here in Wisc. - no lawn care or vehicle maintenance to do right now!  ;D

Should be shooting this '76 next week while upnorth.

Here's a SG butt stock for that winter project: ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINCHESTER-1876-NICE-WALNUT-STOCK-/280602650599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415538a7e7
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Thanks Grizzly Adams. I decided to cut mine down and use it. I may pick that up anyhow though :)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
Howdy Pards
The mods Dirty Brass made to his 1876 will make it very Hunter friendly . I cut my 76 down to a 24 inch barrel and tube . But it's still fairly Heavy , lighter than the 28 incher . I would like to have a half octagon barrel that would lighten it a touch more . As far as Hunting season this year NO venison for me but my Son killed a nice Doe .

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
Nice job DB.

I'll bring mine right over.

I think the "pitch" that hobie is refering to is called  "drop in stock". It is measured from the back, on top of the reciever, to the back of the stock, on top of the butt plate, hold a strasight edge out from the reciver, to the butt plate and measure the gap. Thats how we measure them in the NSSA.

Merry Christmas to all

Rebel Dave    aka   Dave C.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 06:29:34 AM »
Thanks Rebel Dave. The hardest part for me was fabricating the filler plate and forming it to the stock and butt plate.

There really was no change in the drop downward, as I used the original stock, just cut it off for the SG butt plate. That drop distance should still be the same....? Total length from back of receiver to back of stock shortened by 1.25" at the top from cutting of the curved section at the top. That would change the degrees if measured that way (receiver to butt plate tops)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
I am sure most have seen this rifle before, but here's a pic for comparison. :)

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »
Thank you Grizzly Adams. I've put them together to show the difference in the rear butt plate pitch. I inverted one pic to face the same direction - don't be concerned about the side plate being wrong :)

Like I said earlier - this is a work in progress, and I may have to adjust as I go along. It's more fun that way! :)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Thanks, DB!  Very interesting.  I suspect this thread will prove very instructive for others.  Good job! :)
GAF

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »
I got to test shoot the modified '76 over NY weekend. All ion all I'm quite happy with it. A little more "push-back" when firing, but nothing terrible, and seemed to nudge evenly across the front of the shoulder, so the "pitch" will work for me. It slides right up under my arm without snagging on clothing - I like that SG butt plate. Also balances out very nicely - kinda like a Enfield Jungle Carbine - short, sweet, and potent!

Groups with T-7 under a 350 gr. bullet were about 3" at 50 yards, but I was leaning against a railing post in 20 degree weather, so they probably could have been better with a good solid rifle rest.

On a side note, I need a replacement extractor for one of the rifles, but VTI is out of stock. Anyone know where else to order one?

Offline Waddie Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
 DB,

Cimarron shows extractors on their website, "Parts" section. Same price as VTI.

Good luck,

Waddie Bill

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Well gull-darnit' - thank you very much. I never thought of lookin' there, and that's where I buy most of my replicas! (chuckle) :-[

I put an order in - now keep my fingers crossed they are in stock  :D

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
Just thought I'd post an update on this project. I replaced the extractor and took the rifle out shooting this past weekend. Accuracy results were favorable, with off hand groups of 2-3" at 50 yards, hitting dead center on a 9" plate.. I'll shoot from a rest when the weather warms up a bit, but a chilly 10 degrees is a little cold for me to get comfy :) I'm sure 100 yard shots will be doable in the woods with acceptable hunting accuracy.

Loads were my usual full case of Triple Seven under a 350 Gr. SPG lubed bullet. I noticed no excessive recoil, and the longer screws in the carrier tube held it snugly in place under recoil. I had some trouble with the carrier not holding fully upward when levering a new round in, causing the bolt to not want to go forward. I;ll have to tear it down and check for debris and adjustment of the block/springs. All in all i was quite satisfied with the second test of the rifle. Pitch change didn't seem to be a problem for me. Sure is a handy little carbine size rifle now, and it will be a lot easier hunting whitetail deer next year! :)

Offline evodude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
Boy, kinda wish ya hadnt posted a pic of your finished project- it looks SOOO good I may have to modify mine! I can appreciate all the work you put in to altering it, love the shortened lines. Kudos to you!

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
Dirty Brass I once long ago took a hacksaw to a Remington model 700 in the  375-H&H cal. down to 19 inches but it was not a lot of fun to shoot after 2 shots. The muzzel blast was well noted and the muzzel jump to was very hard to deal with for a fast second fellow up shot.

I now have 2 of those model 70's in a .375H&H  with 22 inch barrel and also the .375 Weatherby cal with 24 inch barrel. I fully understand your position of carrying a heavy long barrel rifle through the hardwoods or thick jess but I also want a rifle to be balanced and not have a lot of excess blast or muzzel jump.  ;D
IRISH MIKE

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
Dirty Brass I once long ago took a hacksaw to a Remington model 700 in the  375-H&H cal. down to 19 inches but it was not a lot of fun to shoot after 2 shots. The muzzel blast was well noted and the muzzel jump to was very hard to deal with for a fast second fellow up shot.

I now have 2 of those model 70's in a .375H&H  with 22 inch barrel and also the .375 Weatherby cal with 24 inch barrel. I fully understand your position of carrying a heavy long barrel rifle through the hardwoods or thick jess but I also want a rifle to be balanced and not have a lot of excess blast or muzzel jump.  ;D

Funny you should mention the 375 H&H. I've been contemplating cutting down my Remington 798. It currently has a 26" BBL, which is way to long for my tastes. 19" might be a bit extreme, but I was thinking 22" or 24". Now you have rekindled a project I had set on the back burner  ;D

BTW, I have no regrets on the '76 finished product. It shoots great and feels a lot better while hunting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com