Author Topic: .38 S&W components?  (Read 16106 times)

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .38 S&W components?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:39:55 PM »
John,

I have a stash of nickle plated 38 S & W once fired (balloon head) cases. 150 once fired cases to be specific. Most are Western
cases but there are a few Peters in the mix. Remingtons that is. Are you interested?

Jackson

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »
May well be.
Balloon case would mean loading with a heeled bullet, right? Gad Custom offers all kind of heeled slugs. Hmmmmmm.

I've heard that nickel clean up easier than brass but are more brittle and prone to split.
What has been your experience, Boilerplate?

What kind of things for a swap would you be interested in?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
RCJ said;  "Balloon case would mean loading with a heeled bullet, right?"

No!  These would be properly dimensioned for the regular inside lubed bullet of about .360.

BPJ will confirm?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:00:03 AM »

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
I do beleive you are correct Sir Charles. The inside diameter measures an easy .357. The outside of the fired case measures about
.380, but those were both brass Remington cases. The nickle OD measured .380, but I could not get an accurate measurement
of the inside case due to the crimp still being in place. Not enough energy to blow out the crimp of the case is my guess. The only time I use a healed bullet is when I am shooting a barrel larger than .360. I own a Remaington .36 (Pietta) Navy with a
Kirst conversion cylinder that I used to labor reloading heeled bullets in. Then I just started shooting .357 cast and they shoot
great in that remington.

Since I bought these with a batch of .38 specials, I dont have any experience reloading this S & W case. I could resize them
in my .38 short colt dies, but the loaded case wont fit any of my .38 specials due to the case taper or the base.  I think you could
get .38 short colt cases to work in your 5 shooter, but the S & W case would seal up better in your cylinder.

I am always in need of .45 Long Colt or schoffield brass. Our CAS brassers cant see anybetter than I can so I am lucky if I
bring home 60% of the brass I shoot. Due to the rairity of these antiquities how bout a 1 to 1 swap RCJ?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
Boiler Plate, you wouldn't be interested in a second 36 Remington with a Kirst cylinder would you?  I have to check to see the brand.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
Boilerplate,
do you shoot smokeless or BP?
I have a handful of clean .45colt brass, but most have been shot BP so is stained. I clean just enough to get them ready for reloading.

pm me your snail mail address and I'll send what I have extra.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
Will,

At the present I have two .36 Remingtons. One with the kirst conversion and the other as a backup. I enjoy shooting
these rascals with Triple 7 (uncompressed load) or American Pioneer compressed. The sulpher based stuff just binds
and grinds. Been shooting cap and ball for 41 years now, and love the ascorbic acid based powders for CAS.

Anyone looking for a good little .38 should consider buying the one of these Remingtons. The barrel oversize had me
buffaloed for quite a while. Then I discovered that the .38 bumps up better than I thought it would. Good enough for CAS
shooting.

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
River City John,

I shoot both BP and smokeless loads. It depends on how cold a day it is. Yes your BP 45s once, twice, five times fired
would be great. My email is boilerplatejackson@hotmail.com so you can send me your snail mail address. I would give
serious thought to anealing these case mouths before opening up the heavy crimp some of these cases have. Then when
reloading I would go with a lighter crimp so these cases will last longer. Its your fun do what ya want.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
Lee has proper .38 S&W dies for not a whole lot, and the revolvers used by Brendan Fraser in  "the Mummy" were .455 Webleys, not sure of the Mark.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Lee has proper .38 S&W dies for not a whole lot, and the revolvers used by Brendan Fraser in  "the Mummy" were .455 Webleys, not sure of the Mark.

Actually Brenden Fraser used model 1873 Chamelot-Delvigne revolvers in 11x17R caliber.  One of "the Americans" used a Webley MKV in .455

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
River City John, Sent you some reloading info in a PM. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
River City John, Sent you some reloading info in a PM. Tj

Got it, Tjack.

Very much obliged!

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 11:15:52 AM »
May well be.
************(edited by SHB)
I've heard that nickel clean up easier than brass but are more brittle and prone to split.
What has been your experience, Boilerplate?

RCJ

John, I'm a sad imitation of Mr. BoilerPlate, but in my experience I get 1/2 to 1/3 the use from nickel cases than brass.  Temper these figures by this:  the lower pressure cases, as you would use BP in would last longer than the same loads in smokeyless and MUCH more than any magnum or high-pressure loads.

This isn't hard fact, just a general statement of my own experiences.  I have nickel 38 Spl. cases that have been reloaded since when I started loading back in the early 70s, and some of them have been resized so many times that much of the plating has worn off down to the brass underneath!  I CAN'T say the same of any of my 357M or 44M cases.  45 ACP is about half way between the extremes.  I HAVE lost one or two 38S&W nickel cases of the 200 or so I own and use with no more than 4 firing/reloading cycles.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
Drydock said; "Lee has proper .38 S&W dies for not a whole lot,"

The only reason I used 9mm dies is because I already had them.  For the number of rounds I was loading, making do made sense.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:55 PM »
Drydock said; "Lee has proper .38 S&W dies for not a whole lot,"

The only reason I used 9mm dies is because I already had them.  For the number of rounds I was loading, making do made sense.

Same here.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
As I had neither .38s&w nor 9mm, I just ordered .38s&w Lee dies from Midway.  ;)
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »
Got my Lee .38 s&w dies in the mail, and going to use 158gr Snakebite sized .358 over real BP.

As my indoor shooting range doesn't allow BP, I'll have to wait for spring to test fire at our range.

Thanks to all for help. Now to figure out a proper holster.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:59 AM »
John, if those Snakebites are made of soft lead, they'll obdurate to the right size, which I think is in the .361" range, if my (admittedly crappy) memory serves.  A Hollow-base bullet for standard 38 Spl. or 357Mag. loading will be ideal, however, as I said, my .355" size bullets (supposedly for 9mm loads) - while not correct - DID fill the grooves, even using BP.

Wiki has a decent blurb on the 38 S&W and the specs are listed. 
.361" is the correct bullet size.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »
What's really odd is that Lee lists .358 as the diameter size for their .38 s&w dies.

The site where I ordered my Snakebites also listed two offerings sized .360, but only up to 125 grain.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »
What's really odd is that Lee lists .358 as the diameter size for their .38 s&w dies.

The site where I ordered my Snakebites also listed two offerings sized .360, but only up to 125 grain.

RCJ

That IS odd, John.

The pills I use are either 115 or 125 grs. and work fine.  Of course, they'll never have the weight/power of the 38-200 round the Brits favored, but ...

My load comes out to about 13-14 grs of 3F (whatever fills the case) and the lead projectile I mentioned in my other post and when shot, feels like a 22, but is considerably stronger than one!  I shoot it from an old (1883 model) Iver Johnson top-break that I bought from an elderly gent I delivered mail to about 15 years ago.  The revolver doesn't look like much, but it LOVES thos rounds and I used it as my Main Match pistol once while loading 4 in the gun at the table and loading the 5th round after the "start buzzer" sounded.  It was fun!  My gun has a "factory target" wooden grip and the 4" barrel I.J. offered back in the day.

Have fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com