Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1125500 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #260 on: November 20, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »
Thanks for listening, didn't mean to be so windy
Very well worth reading. I love that snake story. Thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 275
« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2009, 12:40:13 AM »
Howdy TW,

Awesome Bow and awesome stories!! I's really cool to have still something you made almost fifty years ago along with those great memories. You do have a real knack for telling stories. 

I have a vague memory of watching a movie well over fifty years ago called Tembo. As I recall it featured Howard Hill hunting an Elephant with a bow and arrow. Does anyone remember something this?
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
Howdy TW,

Awesome Bow and awesome stories!! I's really cool to have still something you made almost fifty years ago along with those great memories. You do have a real knack for telling stories. 

I have a vague memory of watching a movie well over fifty years ago called Tembo. As I recall it featured Howard Hill hunting an Elephant with a bow and arrow. Does anyone remember something this?

Howdy Johnny

I think I saw everything in regards to movies and documentaries that Howard Hill made, he was a big game hunter for sure, one of his long bows was a 90 pounder, the force that bow must of had, had to have had a special shaft to handle it, but for Elephant sized game you would need it, I still have one of the books he wrote, it's been out of print for years now, ever so once in a while they show clips of some of his great shots TV, and I get goose bumps when I see him do it. I'll see if I can fine that book and I'll post a picture of it.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #263 on: Today at 07:15:15 PM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »
Just a side note,don't shoot this elephant if ya see him.Scroll down for video.Timbo passed in 2005.I watched a special the other day on Timbo and Chris.What a story.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Gallucci-the-Elephant-Man/70586662504

Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
 Good Video Rick, thank for sharing, My understanding is Howard Hill killed a Rouge killer Elephant, not a nice fella like Tempo, too bad we lost him, he was a great animal.

Here is a scan of my book, this was the book that taught me how to make arrows and the bow that I made, it was the best book around in the fifty's, it was published in 1957, my first long bow looked like the one on this cover, the one Howard is using, this book has one of my other bows in it along with my quiver, there is a picture of Guy Madison the movie actor, you might remember him in the series Wild Bill Hickok, where Andy Devine played his side kick, this picture shows Howard and Guy getting ready for a hunt, and they're going through there equipment. Anyway any one that is interested in archery should have this book if they can find one or order one.

Regards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
Very Cool :)
Guy Madison threw his bullets down range from the barrel huh,alot of wrist action ;D I'm gonna end up lookin for a bow now.. :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:15 PM »
Ya know what? I forgot i had a couple hangin on the wall around the corner,it sets in by a window so you can't see it all the time.Found a couple of handmade lookin bows at a second hand store last year.Been wantin to indian them up just haven't decided how.Looks to be mad fer a youngin maybe and i have no idea what the material is,has a grain like oak though,but ya can't use oak can ya? Think i paid 5.00 for both,the other is red and just a cheapie.This one had the string on it but i took it off to let it relax.

Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2009, 10:20:14 PM »
Rick I don't think I've ever seen a bow like that, that's bowed without being strung, it might have been green wood and they left it strung too long, that will ruin a bow every time, they need to be destrung when not in use, but it will make a good wall hanger and the way it is now you could go ahead and string it anyway, you can't hurt it now, fix it up Indian style. It should look good on the wall.

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:14 AM »
  Rick TW is aight when I first looked at that one I thought it was a recurve ,then I realized the handle was wrong for a recurve. That one would be a perfect canidate to be decorated and put on the wall.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
Yep,what i figured when i saw it,been strung way too long,i'll hand some feathers and such from it.I was hopin i could get it back in shape to look better anyway.I should have never sold that Bear bow i had.

What would i look for just in case i see somethin that tells ya it's a good handmade  bow.?? I know where a couple are but i think they are factory.I find some pretty good stuff around here like my Duke hat with sterling silver and leather hat band i found at Salvation Army for 20.00 did the shapin myself :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »

Rick, you can usually tell home/hand made by looking the bow over real well, if it is a commercial made or brand name bow, it will have a decal, or inset slogan on it. you can pretty much tell store bought from hand made. If you can find a book like this, it will help you in your search.

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
  Nice hat Rick, You did a great job of shaping it.

Now, I have something for you.  You guys are causing me to check all my hiding places for things I haven't seen in a long time.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »

WOW BG, that is cool, how long have you had that, and did you do the bead work on this bag, beautiful, I don't think I mentioned your collection of folders, and there cases, did you bead them too, awesome all of it. I think I'd go blind trying to do a bead job these. ??? :-\ ::)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
TW, I wish I could take credit for the folders sheaths but I better not. They came with the knives. They do mean alot to me because they were a gift back when my wife and I didn't have much. She put in a lot of extra hours at work and on the phone rounding them up and paying for them.
The buff tooth came from Fort Bridger, Wyoming area back in 1981 and the ration ticket pouch is my own creation. It was made in 1984. It is braintan, lined with calico, and beaded with #11 glass beads. The toughest thing about beadwork these days is threading the needles. :o ??? ;D

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2009, 05:24:39 PM »
GB, you did a dandy job pard, I remember doing bead work in the Scouts, but nothing as nice as yours, of course there is a difference in age, and maybe if I would have stayed with it I might of made better things, and your right getting the thread through the beads is something else, I surely couldn't handle it today, but I can sure appreciate it. That was a great of your wife to think of doing something like this for you, but then I guess you might have had some part in that. LOL  ::) did she get all those knives at one time or at different times?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »
Now, I have something for you.  You guys are causing me to check all my hiding places for things I haven't seen in a long time.

Very nice.  What size beads did you use for this?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2009, 05:55:01 PM »
Is that hat my size??  Should be! ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »
TW, it took her about a year to find all of them.

Forty, Those are #11 beads and they are czech.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »
GB, I kind of figured it took some time, one can't just go out and fine all these under one tree. Thanks for getting back Pard.

Regards

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Them folders ain't cheap either that GB has.NICE TOOTH AND BAG! :) I think i talked a buffler out of a tooth yesterday :D He was petrafied too when i pulled out my big bowie :D Taught myself how to shape hats awhile back,but i bought all the beaters up around here,i cain't find any to reshape..Festus hat i did~

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com