Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1122303 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
  Rick I got the first one from a friend in 1981 and the rest came to me by way of my better half at christmas the next year. It took her a year to find the thunderbird because they only made 5000 of them. The rest they made about 7000 to 10,000.
That was back when we did have the window or the pot ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »

GB, that's quit a collection of neat folders, good looking, all of them, thanks for sharing

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
Hey GB,sent ya a private message :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #243 on: Today at 06:26:04 PM »

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:19 AM »
Ned,  sent you a private message.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2009, 07:14:38 AM »
Replied.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »
 Have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. Some of the knives in my collection are getting tarnished and I would like to clean them. Can someone recommend a method to do that without scratching them?
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
I have used the obvious , Brasso, Silver Polish and Bar Keepers Friend to clean some of mine.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
Thanks Ned, I may try the silver polish. Wife says it won't scratch so I'll give it a whirl.

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
Ned,  Sent tyou another PM
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »
howdy pards been awhile since ive posted but been sick and dont know what it but im back and working but thought id share some pics of the  nascar car ive ever got to see up close and the also had a simulator that the drivers use and boy do i envy them boys they are in shape let me tell ya and that seat as much as id love to run one i dont think i couls seat in there for 500 miles LOL
but the car is #77 Sam Hornish Jr's car
enjoy and thanks pards
Cowboy316

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »
Hey GB use Mother Metal polish,it just takes a dab man,you will have to wash them and reoil that stuff turns black as soon as it rubbed in brass.I just did an old watchfob last night i picked up,it was real tarnished,shines like a new penny now.
Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:13 PM »
Making your own arrows and recurve bow is cool stuff,i have read a little about it and seen a friend make arrows.Having a hybred wolf is something i always wanted,From what i know they are very loyal,at least the one another friend had was.Everytime i went to his house that wofl dog would come up to me and stay by me and play with me and wanted to go home with me.My buddy at the time didn't take care of him like he should have,i told him to give him to me but he wouldn't,couple of weeks later he moved out of state.I knew he wouldn't take care of him..

Hey Ten Wolves,can you make your arrows do that robin hood sound?THHHHHHHHHWIIIZZZZZIIIIIP ! ->----------->What did you make your bow from?Got any pics of it..I ain't much good at makin stuff from scratch.

Howdy All

Gun Slick Rick, I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my old bow, and what's left of some of the arrows I made back in 62, you asked what the bow was made of, I used Lemon wood, and a thin slice of teak in the handle/grip area, then the limbs were covered in fiber glass, I had my most problems in notching the tips of the limbs, where the strings attached, they have to be just right or they won't stay on, I finally got it right after hours of work on carving them just right. When I made arrows, I would go to Shawnee Archery Shop, and pick out my shafts that were matched and spined  for the weight in pull the bow I was making them for, this is important, you don't want too light a shaft or it will break on impact, and you don't want too heavy a shaft because it will bee too slow, and this is all based on the type bow/power/weight of the bow, this is how the term matched and spined came into effect, after I picked out all the straightest arrows I needed, I would cut them to my length of pull,  then I would remove the wood for putting on the knock, with a pencil type sharpener, I then would fill a tube up with my color, which was white lacquer, I would dip the shafts in the tube of paint and then hang them with a cloths pin on a line after taking them out of the tube, and let dry, when dry I would set up my fletching tool  for the shape I wanted the feathers, after the feathers were glued on using a jig, I would burn the feathers in the fletch to the shape I wanted, then it was down too just fine tuning them the rest of the way by beveling the ends so the feather wouldn't get torn off when released , the knocks were put on before fletching, and were used to turn the shaft, the last thing was the tip or the business end of the arrow, on these arrows I used target tips, which I also used for small game too. That quiver is from 1956, and the leather is still holding up except for the thin straps on the knife, which is an old boning knife my Dad gave me back then for dressing my game.
   Back then we all had our colors, my shafts were always " white shaft, blue knock, gray feathers ", based on colors, if we found an arrow we usually knew who it belonged too. ::)

So I hope I was able to answer you questions , I had a lot of fun with Archery when I was a Kid. ;D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »
Howdy TW,  :)
 That is a cool old bow with the quiver and arrows!! :o :o That cools that you have had it all this time!!
Thanks for sharing.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
TW, beautiful bow and quiver and another great story. I get such a kick out of the fact that you guys are all like me, you want to try something but instead of going out and buying what you need to do it you just make it yourself. It just adds so much to what you are doing and the satisfaction level goes up tremendously. If I may ask, is that quiver what you might call a Pope style?

Hey, thanks Pards for the cleaning ideas.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
Dang 10W. That looks exactly, and I mean exactly, like my Bear 25# recurve sitting here. Good job on that one!
DM (who likes to shoot the ol bow now and again)
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2009, 08:57:54 PM »
Cool pic, cowboy. That's a good one.

Nice bow, TW. Hats off to your making it. Good work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
Howdy Pards

Thanks, Ace, GB and Dalton, GB, and Marshal Will, you might be right on the pope quiver, I got this one when Howard Hill was the guy I wanted to be like, as a kid, it was something like his, I also made a bow quiver that held 4 arrows on the right side that I taped to the bow itself, I used spring clips back then to hold the arrows to the on board quiver it was very quiet and good for hunting, but for small game the leather quiver worked fine. I use to make my arrows by the dozen, and had them for different bows that I used, this was the only bow I ever made, I had other bows that were a hundred times better than this, Dalton, this bow that I made was fashioned after several of the bow's that were being made back then, I wanted a fast bow that would be easy to handle in the brush, for small game, so I made mine a 40 pounder, which turned out to be a 42 pounder, it is a short recurve,  fast but not too much punch like the others I had, I had a 52 pound Long Bow, and a 56 pound Smithwick hand made by him, that I used on deer and mountain Lion sized game, that were awesome, powerful and quick. I remember when I was eleven years old and just getting used to that 52 pound long bow, myself and a couple of friends were in the foot hills hunting, when my friend said snake, I turn to see a rattle snake coiled and ready to strike, I don't know where I got the strength to pull that bow all the way back but I did,  and I was able to send the arrow through the snakes mouth and out his head, well you would have thought I saved the town from attacking hostiles, I had my picture with the snake put in the local paper, and ended up on TV two times for that, I hated all that fuss, at home the kids called me Robin Hood for more than a year because of it. ::) ??? :-\ this long bow was really too strong for me at that age, and I hadn't been able to pull that bow all the way back until this time, I guess fright took over. :o

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D                                    Thanks for listening, didn't mean to be so windy

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
  TW, Hill was the only other choice I could have come up with,I have seen that style somewhere and always really liked it. It is  interesting to me to hear that you actually hunted with it. The modern bow hunters would be shocked I suppose. Please don,t ever think you are windy. As far as I can tell we are alll enjoying your stories. They cause me at least to take another look at the things you are showing and gives me a new appreciation for them. Kind of brings them to life.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
WOW,what a sweet bow~ I don't know alot about them other than what i have been shown from a friend that used to have a bow shop here for awhile,i do know that handmade ones fetch a heck of a price.Hard to imagine how they did those things back in the day.That right there is airloom stuff to me..I might be able to make an arrow,but that's about it.If i ever find one with that color scheme,i'll know where it came from  :)Just like indians would mark thier arrows. It;s amazing what you can do in the heat of battle,SNAKE!!! THWWWWIIIPPP(}=>=======> Lights out ;D

Dang nice set ROBIN,uh ,i mean Ten Wolves ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
Thanks GB, I've never been gifted with the art of using few words to say all that I think needed, I have many friends that are very talented in this, and I admire them for it, I'm glad you and others enjoy hearing these things of the past, it's funny for me to think of them as being so long ago, but I guess they are, you don't hear of folks making things like we used to, back then being able to make your own arrows guaranteed us of getting better quality arrows, back then the only thing better was having Aluminum shaft's made custom for you, and I had those too, for comp. shoots we used to go to on Sunday once a month, talk about great arrows, I could just sit and listen to the sound they made when shot, my Long bow with longer feathers on their shaft's would make that sound too, good memories, ones I'll never forget. I think Howard Hill was one of the greatest Archers there ever was, even in today's standards, I never achieved his excellence, but boy howdy I had fun trying, I went through a whole lot of bails of straw over this time, had them set up in the back yard, we'd shoot bb guns pellet guns, my bow, and throwing knives, until it was time to get more straw, this is what we did after dinner at night during the Spring and Summer months, along with ping pong, and never had to leave home to enjoy our selves.

Rick, howdy pard, it's funny ,you say heirloom stuff, and I guess you're right, these arrows are so old now that they're light as a feather, and if shot they would most likely self destruct and turn to dust...... ::) :o ;D

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com