Author Topic: History Buffs  (Read 25795 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: History Buffs
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »
Met the character..I'd also like to read the book ... ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »

Well now Dr. Bob, I didn't know you were a writer, I have a couple of Forty Rods books, and he's a good writer too, put me down for a copy if you would, I'd be honored to have your book. you can PM me on this, Thanks

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline PABLO DEL NORTE

• Very Active Citizen
  • SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
 :)  I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A HISTORY BUFF & DRESSED "WESTERN" MOST OF MY LIFE. (EXCEPT DURING MY JR. & HIGH SCHOOL YEARS 'CUZ OF SPORTS. HIGH TOPS WERE EASIER ON THE ANKLES THAN BOOTS :). AFTER SCHOOL, I WENT BACK TO WEARIN' BOOTS AGAIN FOR COMFORT. THERE'S NUTHIN' MORE COMFY THAN A BROKE-IN PAIR OF BOOTS( I WAS EVEN CALLED "DOC COWBOY" OR "AIR COWBOY" 'CUZ I WOULD WEAR'EM TO PLAY BALL ;D

I REALLY LIKED THE COMMENT EARLIER(CAN'T REMEMBER WHO IT WAS :-[) 'BOUT THE SHOOTIN', THE DRESS, & THE HAVIN' FUN DOIN' IT.  ALL THAT ATRACTED ME TO CAS PLUS THE BOSS LADY TOLD ME I NEEDED A HOBBY 'CUZ I COULDN'T PLAY BALL ANYMORE.  ::) 8)  SO I'M WORKIN' ON GETTIN' MY LAST PISTOL (.44 CAL.) TO START SHOOTIN' MATCHES.
I LOVE THE HISTORY ABOUT THIS SPORT ALSO. WHAT MORE COULD A FELLA WANT?? :) EXCEPT FOR MY MISSUS TO START WITH ME  ALSO ( I HAVE A COVERT MISSION GOIN' ON WITH THAT ;) ;) :) )

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:36:43 PM »

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
Pablo Del Norte,

----------------NCOWS-------------

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
Forty Rod,

I am able to provide the book, with autograph for a modest sum.  I'll e-mule you the details!

Did I ever get that e-mail?  My mind may have gone on vacation and not told me about it.  Would you try again?

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
Nope, it's my mind that lost that thought! ::) :-[
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
We need to start a support group for...for...for whatever it was we were talking about.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ???
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline jcnovarro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
Am interested in hearing from Jeremiah Sullivan link=topic=28781.msg380079#msg380079 date=1255387256]
regarding this post below as I believe we share a branch of the family tree:

WadWatson Ellis remarked: " My father's family fought in Pennsylvannia regiments (I believe) down the Eastern Seaboard. After the war, they too put down their weapons and returned to the plowshare.

"I wish more of both sides of my family would have put more into written history ... most of what I have handed down is a hearsay of misspelled names and regiments, with little or no way of backtracking...."

In my family we had the partial tale of a grandmother somewhere along the line who hated Mr. Lincoln, till the day she died, blaming him for her brother's death.  Not much to go on.  Well my wife has become a genealogist (degreed graduate librarian by trade, since retired) and in the course of her searches for this and that discovered names and birth dates in various census and city records, these led to the U.S. Pension Files in Wash, DC which delivered to her hands my great great grandmother's original handwritten depositions of dependency (got to look actually, copy but not keep) that qualified the family for a pension for the service of Sgt Patrick Farrington 83rd (I think it was) NY Volunteers.  Other notes fleshed out the family of a boy literally just off the boat at Castle Garden enlisting just before the outbreak of the war, his campaigns leading up to his wounds on July 3rd, 1863 and his death at Gettysburgh on July 10th, 1863. 

She herself is on the trail of a great great grandmother who deserted her husband and child in Denver in the 1880's and disappeared from the family history.

Keep looking, never forget them, and you may be able to put flesh and bones onto some of those awfully thin family memories..
[/quote]

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
I enjoy the shooting in SASS, but I must admit I have a hard time with what I call the "dress up".  I see that many guys and gals enjoy it, and I'm not against it at all.  But it just ain't for me.  I guess I wore a uniform for too many years...I donno.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
I am related to William McCarty b. 1802/3 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Some writers speculate that Henry McCarty aka Billy the Kid may have been related to Wm. McCarty.  He was my great great great grandfather.  He had four sons (daughters too). One, Elijah, my great great grandfather, knew my father. He said he had a brother who died in Andersonville prison.  He was John McCarty.  In the old family bible (now lost) I saw John's name and a mention of Catherin McCarty.  John joined the 6th Indiana Volunteer Infantry in September 1862 at Indianapolis.  Wm. H. Antrim was discharged in October 1862 in that place.  The two men probably met.  If John asked Wm. Antrim to watch after his family while he was gone that explains why Catherin and Wm. Antrim lived alongside eachother for so long (eight years) before they married.  I don't think they were lovers.  She died just 14 months after their wedding. She had to be pretty sick during the time of their marriage.

I was raised just outside of Dodge City, Kansas.  I grew up with the history of the old west all around me.  I knew people, including my great grandmothers and great grandfather who lived it.  These people lived most of their lives on the prairie in Kansas, sometimes in a "soddy". They were very kind to me, but they bared no foolishness.  When my great grandmother McCarty went to the fields to feed the men at noon, she always dropped their long barreled Colt into her picnic basket.  One just never knows does one?

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
Here are pictures of my great grandparents McCarty: The baby is my father, Harold E. McCarty.  He was born in January 1921 which dates this image.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
Dead I,

I think I can understand....besides SASS, I volunteer as a reenactor/docent in Old Sacramento. This means that I have to have weapons and clothing from the 1850s to 1900 ... Californio to Frock Coat and vest ... and trhow a little miner and farmer into the melange and I am usually weapons clothing rich and financially poor. Especially, like SASS, this is something we CHOOSE to do with no reimbursement .... *Sigh*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »
I got into the sport from buckskinning. I appreciate the historical side and the B Movie side also. My buckskinning club was very strict in period accuracy. I actually got to the point where I built an ice chest out of pine and lined with styrofoam inside. Oddly enough, CAS was what I was really interested in before I ever heard of SASS or NCOWS. The thing is, there seems to be a lot of divisiveness (?) in the  sport. Why? It is supposed to be fun and educational. Let's lighten up a bit and enjoy our freedom.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline maarty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 01:35:42 AM »
Thank you for the compliment Will.

It was an education growing up under my grandfathers tutelage. He would tell a story, then repeat it word for word, five years later, which made me believe what he would say.

Walking the Little Big Horn battlefield with him, was an education. I have done that very same thing with my own son.

My grandfather would point out where some of the grave stones weren't in the right places. Some of the sights he related to me were kind of grisley. But, that was what happened and he wouldn't shy away from the telling. This was before political correctness had settled in.

Bill

Stillwater, I for one would be very interested in reading any of your grandfathers stories if you were willing and able to type them out. Also if you could draw out a map of the LBH battlefield and mark on it the things your grandfather told you it would be excellent.

thanks

Offline Capt Billy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
This thread has been a major help. I know the name, the date of birth, State and County, battles involved in, AND the unit he served with...even have his pension number!
Even with all of this, AND help from a pro, who can't find any record of him on the musters. (said he might have been in one of the guerrilla units.)
I used to think that "Capt. Billy" was a Kentucky Colonel title, his grand kids (my mom and aunts and uncle never referred to him as grandpa.) One aunt used to tell me;"Capt. Billy was too young to fight in the Civil War, do you want to see his saber?"
He was 18 at the outbreak of the war, and his pension records show him as a Captain, and the State Legislator of Arkansas presented him a gold headed cane (for services rendered to the Confederacy).
By the time I became interested enough to ask, most of my relatives had passed away, so finding info is a real bear. I've been to most of the "dot com" spots that are supposed to help...found his wife, great-great grandparents, etc. but on the man himself, I could only find scattered facts. Like many Southerners he lied on every census he took part in until his death (in 1934).
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

R.G.A. # 241

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
I always enjoyed shooting but knid of got out of doing it the last several years. When I heard about NCOWS the histoical aspect is what really got my attention along with being more laid back and fun shooting rather than intense competion with race guns.

NCOWS prompted me to do more reading and research about the time period and I learned alot more about my 6th cousin, Judge William Alexander Carter who was pretty much responsible for the creation of the Wyoming Terriritory and was the first cattle rancher in the territory.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
This is what I love about this forum. In many cases, we are the last chance for our family histories to live on. We now ferret out facts and photos and stories about our ancestors that would have otherwise faded away. We are keeping our past alive, my friends.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com