Author Topic: NCOWS in South Texas?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCOWS in South Texas?
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
Thanks to the Cowboys TV show, I've finally figured out that NCOWS is a different breed of cowboy action shooting, and it looks like a lot of fun.

I checked the NCOWS site, and the nearest organization to me that is posted on their map would be a couple of states East or North of me.

Then I peeked in here, and see that there is an organization way in North Texas (Tenhorns).  Still a bit far for a weekend shoot for me.

Are there any NCOWS shoots south of San Antonio?

I'd like to learn more.

WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
Re: NCOWS in South Texas?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »
WM,

The Texas Ten Horns Club is the only club currently hosting NCOWS matches in Texas.  We just started in November.  We've been hosting SASS matches for 13 years (and still do).  90% of our membership has been very receptive to the NCOWS matches.  NCOWS has also drawn some shooters to us from outside of our usual club membership.  Shooters at our matches have given positive feedback about NCOWS.  Most enjoy the move toward more authenticity.  Many are drawn to the shooting style (more emphasis on accuracy, less on speed.)  All-in-all it has been a pleasant transition. 

I'd recommend a couple of things:  get a copy of the Tally Book (you can download it from the NCOWS web site).  Share copies with your club membership and see who is interested.  If you find yourself up in the North Texas area, please drop in for a match at our club.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:53 AM »
Wandering Man
Wish you lots of luck we need another Posse in Texas . That would be great to have 2 Posses in the lone star state .
Hope to meet you at the National Shoot in June we are planning a good time for all.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:57 PM »

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
Well, first I need to spend a bit more time on the NCOWS website.

And maybe I need to take another look at the calendar you've got posted here.  I've got a son in Azle, and I might be able to work out a trip in your general direction sometime.

The Talley Book?  Will that give me an idea of the regulations.  From the TV show, I wasn't sure if my Ruger Vaquero would be allowed, or my smokeless powder.  Other than that, I think I'm OK.

I like the idea of accuracy over speed.  I'm a pretty slow guy by nature.

WM

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »
Well, first I need to spend a bit more time on the NCOWS website.

And maybe I need to take another look at the calendar you've got posted here.  I've got a son in Azle, and I might be able to work out a trip in your general direction sometime.

The Talley Book?  Will that give me an idea of the regulations.  From the TV show, I wasn't sure if my Ruger Vaquero would be allowed, or my smokeless powder.  Other than that, I think I'm OK.

I like the idea of accuracy over speed.  I'm a pretty slow guy by nature.

WM

The Tally Book is here:  http://www.ncows.org/2007TalleyBook.pdf

Regulations are written very clearly.

BTW:  Your Vaquero and your smokeless powder are OK for NCOWS.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
What about West Texas or New Mexico?  I visit El Paso for a yearly visit (to the grave of Wes Hardin!).  There is a SASS club in Las Cruces, but no CAS club in ELP at all!

With thousands of soldiers & more every day, and a matchless frontier history, I'm surprised that ELP seems to be a shooters wasteland.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
What about West Texas or New Mexico?  I visit El Paso for a yearly visit (to the grave of Wes Hardin!).  There is a SASS club in Las Cruces, but no CAS club in ELP at all!

With thousands of soldiers & more every day, and a matchless frontier history, I'm surprised that ELP seems to be a shooters wasteland.

I thought El Paso lived CAS, so they didn't need a club!   ;D

I've looked at the Talley Book, and found the section on .38 Special/.357 Mag.  Any guesses as to what a black powder equivelant would be using smokeless?

WM 

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »
   Just check your loading guide for a muzzle velocity of 800-900fps
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
Wandering Man, the Ruger Vaqueros are fine.  It is the Bisley Vaquero that isn't allowed since it is a perfect copy of a gun that never was. ;).  If you go through the past posts here you will see many discussions about Vaqueros.  The short version is that when NCOWS was first formed there weren't many good Colt clones and the Vaquero was thought to be the best choice at the time.  Too bad Ruger didn't make the "new" Vaquero first ::).

We have many members in areas that don't have posses.  Most feel that the Magazine "The Shootist" is worth the price of membership.  We did have some problems getting it published on time but that seems to be resolved.  Also as a member you will have access to the "members only" forum here at Cas City.   We sure could use another Texan in the fold. ;D

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »
   We sure could use another Texan in the fold. ;D

Will Ketchum

Thank you for the invitation.

3Reds (spouse) and I will be talking about NCOWS this weekend.  I may join just so I can learn more.

... and thanks for removing the duplicate posts.  Things got a bit squirrely on my computer last night.

WM

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
Thank you for the invitation.

3Reds (spouse) and I will be talking about NCOWS this weekend.  I may join just so I can learn more.

... and thanks for removing the duplicate posts.  Things got a bit squirrely on my computer last night.

WM

I hope you decide to join.  Your welcome on the duplicate post thing.  We all have been there Pard. ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
WM

Here's what I did in North Texas with the Ten Horns, a SASS club. It might be of some help to you.  Since I am and have been an officer of the club, I simply brought up the idea of an NCOWS posse at our facility to our members.  A dozen or more members liked the idea, so we went ahead with getting club members registered as NCOWS members.  So the short version of this is:  if you are a member of a SASS club perhaps you can get them to affiliate with NCOWS and pretty much have an instant NCOWS Posse. 

We will be sending our paperwork to NCOWS within the next week to be formally listed with NCOWS and get our match and activity info included in the Shootist.  If you have any questions or if I can be of any help please contact me.  I'll be glad to do so.

Cole

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »
WM
If you have any questions or if I can be of any help please contact me.  I'll be glad to do so.

Cole

Thanks Cole.

I've yet to be in SASS a full year, so my input doesn't carry much weight, yet. 

But, I do plan on starting some conversations and asking questions about NCOWS at our next shoot.

New folks shouldn't be too pushy, or people quit listening to them.  Then, when they have something good to say no one really hears them.

WM

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
Wandering Man,  Where abouts in the Southern part of the Republic are you located?  Moved from Carrizzo Springs to SW Missouri back in 88 and have been homesick ever since. It is getting better as more Mexicans and armadillos are moving north ;>) but just not the same. No mesquite, no prickly pear, no real hog hunting, no brush country cowboys shootin' the s#%*@ on a Saturday night and way too durned many truckers wearing cowboy hats for me. Every time I go to Old Mexico, I have to get out and kiss the ground after crossing  the Red. Won't even get to be buried there since I have a plot in the 1800s section of the Carthage, Mo cemetary. At least I get to sleep with those of like mind. Until then I'm going to enjoy as much of this NCOWS life that I can.

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
Wandering Man,  Where abouts in the Southern part of the Republic are you located? 

Aransas Pass, on the Gulf Coast, just north of Corpus Christi.  We are South of Houston, South of San Antonio, but North of McAllen. 

To our East is the beautiful Gulf of Mexico which helps keep us warm in the Winter, Cool in the Summer, and humid all year around.  To the West we have flat land and brush as far as you can see.

Native Americans some centries back were the Karankawa.  A tribe of nomadic people who were proud and tall often being 6'.  They ate fish, oysters, and their enemies.

We'd have been out in bays in our the Kayak today looking for Redfish or Speckled Trout, except for a bit of surgery 3Reds underwent recently.  So we went to the range and shot up a bunch of ammo, instead.

I lived 10 years in Houston back in the 70's.  I took me forty minutes to commute to my job in smog and bumper to bumper traffic.  We moved to AP, and it still took me 40 minutes to get to my job in Corpus Christi, but I was looking at Cotton farms, redwinged blackbirds, and flocks of Roseate Spoonbills.  Seems those 40 minutes went buy much quicker down here than they did in Houston.

We're suffering a cold front right now.  The temps dropped all the way down into the mid-50's.  This after 80 degree weather two days ago.  But we expect things to warm back up into the 70's by Monday.

WM

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
Wandering Man, have to say it sounds pretty good to me. Hope to see you in NCOWS. Wish you could make it across the Big Muddy and over North of the O-he-O (Ohio River) for the Nationals in June. Evansville, In. Know it would be a long trip, but we wold try to make you fell welcome. TJ  Texas Jack Stephens NCOWS #2312 SASS # 12303
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Wandering Man

• Professional Listener
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Hamilton Psychology
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
Well, I did it!

I signed up for NCOWS this morning.

Gee, seems like my clothes are takin' on a kinda musty smell already ...

WM

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
Welcome Wandering Man
Glad to have you as a new member . It sure is good to have all the New Texas Friends and members .
Hope to see you in June at the National Shoot .

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »

Welcome, Wandering Man.
Happy to have you.

Don't forget when you get your NCOWS number to get registered here for the members-only board.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »
WM,

Glad ya made the leap into NCOWS.  What's going on in Texas now is so exciting!! ;D  Thanks & good shooting!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com