Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 780155 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #2360 on: November 16, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
There were originally 80 Raiders.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2361 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »
Litl Jimmy, there are 4 Original Raiders still alive, but one could not attend.  They also (IF I read the write-up correctly) decided to have their final toast at this reunion, since they doubt any will live much longer, sadly.  Therefore, I think they broke out the bottle that was saved and made their final toast.  I don't know whether they will have a reunion next year if even 2 (or the same 4) are still with us.  It is a sad end of an era.  I watched (for the third time) the Eisenhower movie starring Tom Selleck and his last lines (presented as if they were thoughts) of the movie were something like (sic) "We will never see the likes of this generation again."  Sadly, this may be true.  Our country's leadership certainly isn't the honest & strong, forceful type we had during the War years and not long after; including when Gen. Eisenhower became President.

But I won't get too far into THAT rant er, subject right now.

God Bless the Raiders; past & present.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2362 on: November 19, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
I don't know if I ever told you that my Dad's outfit was the reorganized Tokyo Raider unit. He watched them train at Eglin Field, but he did not know what they were training for till after the Raid was over.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #2363 on: Today at 01:09:38 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2363 on: December 15, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »
"FIFI" will have a Florida vacation in Feb. And Mar. She will visiting several cities in Florida for display and Rides.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2364 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
This may be of interest. Be sure to scroll through the comments. That's where the full story, as well as a description of the airplane, will be found.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/airplane-fuselage-move-could-delay-traffic-suffolk
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2365 on: January 14, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »
One Saturday morning, when I worked for White Settlement PD, we moved a B-52 bomber to a Museum near General Dynamics. The bomber was in Carswell AFB. They took done a section of the perimeter fence and hooked a tug on to the bomber. They pulled the bomber on to a road parallel to the runway of Carswell. We got the bomber on the road, and the tug quit. They got another tub and we finally got it moved to the Museum. It was a Saturday morning that I will never forget.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2366 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
A Sea Fury,eh? The Hurri's replacement ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2367 on: January 14, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I was hoping it was the Lodestar. Guess not. She's destined to rot there. Sad.

Took a ride to the museum. Didn’t see anything. I fear all I managed to do was wash a quarter acre’s worth of Waverly real estate from the wheel wells and add it to the city of Va. Beach.

They have a new, prominent sign telling one not to go any farther – as in to the Fighter Factory. I’m not much for signs on private property that’s open to the public. But, as I’ve mentioned before, they have a heavy gate at the entrance I’d hate to see closed with someone in a guard shack taking money. I respected the sign.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2368 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
We have a Lodestar that we acquired at auction from the DEA and our A-26 as well.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #2369 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »
Here's one for all you nose art lovers,I bet TLD would love to have access to all the spares that were in these fields...
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2370 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
We can always use spare parts. The CAF HAS a collection of NOSE ART hung on the walls of the main hangar. Someone was able to cut out the  the Nose Art before the planes were crushed. It is a shame that more of them were not saved.

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2372 on: January 19, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »
Major, Thanks for the pictures of the nose art.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2373 on: January 19, 2014, 07:04:26 AM »
If anyone has problems opening it let me know.

FYI

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/jerry-yagen-mystery-man-and-his-flying-machines

Pay no attention to the loon in the comments section. He stays up all night drinking and, when he has it, getting stoned. He's admitted to it.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2374 on: January 20, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
Some more Nose art...https://www.google.ca/search?q=aircraft+nose+art&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wmraUsOELaPMsQTZqYBg&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=587

once or twice a year I hear someone complain that nose art is not allowed anylonger. Apparently these people can not use google
Thanks Majer

I see the famed Virginia Author Mr. R.Clarence has been busy
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2375 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
They a nice coffee table book on NoseArt, with lots of pictures. I need to pick up a copy before it goes out of print.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2376 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
Article's fresh but short from the pilot. The link's there for credit. In its entirety, FYI:

RICHMOND

Legislation permitting Virginia Beach to grant tax breaks to a financially-troubled military aviation museum flew out of the Senate Finance Committee Tuesday morning.

Sen. Frank Wagner's SB 508 authorizes a locality to exempt real and personal property of federally recognized nonprofits that display "Warbirds to the general public" or use such pre-1955 militaryairplanes for educational purposes.

That proposed add-on to the state tax code is crafted specifically for the Military AviationMuseum in Pungo.

Its proprietor, Jerry Yagen, last summer said he could no longer afford to keep his collection of airplanes from the World War I and World War II eras and would be selling them.

The Virginian-Pilot recently reported that Yagen sold a dozen airplanes and has noted that he faces a lawsuit from a competitor that had hoped to acquire four trade schools he once owned.

In brief remarks about the bill Tuesday, Wagner presented it as an asset and "large tourist attraction" for Virginia Beach that hasn't previously relied on public dollars, unlike some other museums.

Also speaking in support of the measure was Beach lobbyist Bob Matthias. He said the $80,000 a year in lost tax revenue to the city would be more than made up for from other tourism revenue.

A similar bill has been filed by Del. Barry Knight, R-Virginia Beach, in the House of Delegates.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/aviation-museum-tax-bill-soars-va-senate-panel

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2377 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
I hope that it will ease some of his financial woes.  The Mid-Atlantic flight Museum in Reading, Pennsylvania is undertaking a complete restoration of a P-61 Black Widow. It is one of the 4 remaining aircraft, the other 3 are in Museums. It was recovered from Borneo, where it had crashed during WW2. The plane will be returned to flying statis.  There is a book written about finding the plane and the recovery process.  "Lost Widow" is the title. They have many pictures of the restoration process on the Mid-Atlantic Flight Museum web site. I hope to see it in person some day.

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2378 on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2379 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, Major.  The WW1 planes do not get as much attention as the WW2 ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com