Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 780020 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #2260 on: June 23, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
Such a shame.  Wasn't the plane a Stinson?  They stay flying pretty well, normally.

Prayers go out for the wing-walker & pilot and their families.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2261 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Jeffi it i believe was 450 hp Sternan. It has flown over ranchero del paradize on many of Sundays.. Ms Wickers I believed owned it.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2262 on: June 23, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
The AP article I read identified the airplane as a “450 HP Stearmans," registered to her. I believe that’s one S too many but ennyways.

The vid is no fun ta watch.

I couldn't help but remember the docent walkin’ Tom ‘n me thru the museum sayin’ the pilots didn’t like flyin’ theirs because of its relative instability. But as I admonish myself 'n others – regularly, about many things – don’t base an opinion one recent event. They’re frequently flown 'n the woman had pulled the same stunt before without incident.

Thinkin’ it’s goin’ to end up judged pilot error.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #2263 on: Today at 09:18:15 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2263 on: June 23, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
Most likely.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2264 on: June 24, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
However it turns out, it's a dang shame.

Actually, when I typed "Stinson," I MEANT "Stearman."   ;)

And yes, Arcey - there's only ONE "S" in Stearman ... unless yer talking 'bout a gaggle of 'em!   ;D

I'm actually puzzled by the comment you mentioned from the docent regarding:
"I couldn't help but remember the docent walkin’ Tom ‘n me thru the museum sayin’ the pilots didn’t like flyin’ theirs because of its relative instability.  But as I admonish myself 'n others – regularly, about many things – don’t base an opinion one recent event."

And Arcey, you ARE also right on about the one opinion from the docent.  The Stearman was the Primary flight trainer before (and perhaps DURING WWII.  I have heard that it is a "sweertheart" to fly.  I would seriously doubt that the Military (US Army Air Force & US Navy) would choose a plane that was "relatively unstable" as a training plane!  But!!! Stranger things HAVE happened!

But like the docent's comment, that's MY opinion - based primarily on my Dad's comments as well as those of other "old timey pilots" regarding learning to fly back when he was still alive.

Still a terrible shame to lose TWO lives, not to mention a classic and VERY valuable aircraft ...

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2265 on: June 24, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
If it’s too good to be true, it is.

Gentlemen, with regrets, I humbly and sadly report:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/va-beach-museum-owner-selling-plane-collection
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2266 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
Boy that's ashame
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2267 on: June 24, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »
Yep. But we had it for awhile.

R Clarence left a comment. Y'all made the paper.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2268 on: June 24, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Oh, man! There goes your photo ops, Arcey. :-\ :(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2269 on: June 24, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
 The Stearman was the Primary flight trainer before (and perhaps DURING WWII.  I have heard that it is a "sweertheart" to fly.

SHB, perhaps the 450hp conversion was what made it less stable.

I talked to a vet on my route, he trained pilots in a Stearman during WW2, I forget where he was based at, but near the Mississippi river. They had a kind of unwritten rule among them, whenever they crossed the river, they crossed inverted.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2270 on: June 24, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
I just heard that "Chuckie" had been sold to a collection in Oregon.  I hate that I am not going to see the Museum at  Pungo.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2271 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
Well, DANG It, anyway!

I'm not totally surprised, however that these things happen.  The economy sure puts a hurt on everything, and having & restoring
airplanes is a VERY, VERY  expen$ive undertaking.  Look what it costs for a ride in one ... just like we were talking about just a few days or a "week-er-2" ago!

I just hope that his planes & equipment go to "good homes," so to speak.  Much like a beloved dog or other pet. 

It's getting near to the time when simply restoring and keeping an airplane on display is too costly - let alone keeping one in flying condition!  Those old planes (warplanes, that is - NOT civil craft) were only meant to be "used & abused" then $hit-canned after some combat ... they weren't made to fly for decades.  It shows how great some of these collectors really ARE, to be able to invite the public in to see their "toys" and things of that nature.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2272 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
I see Mr. Clarence the cumugeron(sp) that he is, has a few thumbs up on hisself now.

I agree Jeffi
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2273 on: June 25, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
Proudly, the gentleman racked up a few more dissin' givin' the good mayor of our fair city some advice on another topic too.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2274 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:07 AM »
It is a shame that the collection has to be sold off.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2275 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »
It is a shame that the collection has to be sold off.

Yep.

Isn't it such a shame?  All your (and my) life, my parents kept saying "money isn't everything."  Well, it seems that money IS what rules so many things in our lives!

If I had the money, I'd sure keep at least one old Warbird flying! 

AFTER I win the Lottery, of course ...

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2276 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
Jeff, We sure could put a lot of that lottery money in circulation.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2277 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
RIGHT!

I said that (about the Lottery, but then something else dawned on me.

Don't ya have to buy a ticket to actually WIN?

;)

;)

;D

Might be WHY I never seem to win!

:o

::)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2278 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »
A ticket would help win.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2279 on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com