Author Topic: Evil Roy Got It Wrong!!  (Read 36206 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Evil Roy Got It Wrong!!
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »
Monkey or Dog? Take your pick.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
Safest bet over there is a bowl of noodles.  Just don't wonder on what the broth was rendered from.  Tugalog has ta be the strangest language I ever heard so askin yer waiter is kinda useless. 

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
Leo, you actually ate on the economy? Tip of the hat to ya pard. I'd sneek a snack out of the galley, but never would eat until I got back in the gate.

Tagalog mixed with english, yer right. What a combo.  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 02:51:58 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
A friend tolt me if you drink enough beer there is some sort of duck egg that he liked.  Just don't choke on the beak. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
OK funny story.  Worked fer Advanced Micro Devices fer a while long ago doin security.  A lot of the fab workers were from the islands.  They'd heat up their lunch everyday an it smelt awful.
     One day the emergency phone rang and the guy at the other end was swearin that there had ta be some kind of chemical spill.  We dawned the SCBA's an had a look around.  Turned out one of the fab guys was just heating up his lunch in the nuke and let it go a little too long.  Caused a site wide evacuation, as well it should have.  Nasty stuff.  It was durring the first Gulf War an we were on Saddam's hot list fer makin a chip that steered the patriot missles.  I think that worker ended up eatin off the roach coach that day, his lunch was confiscated.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline ashlyngr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
    Hello, I'm new here at CAS City. I would like to share feelings that are evoked by reading this  thread. In fairness to Fairshake, he did state his respect for Evil Roy. However, I think the gist is we should use proper terminology.
    Wether someone is known as a Pistolero for shooting his revolver well, or I call my AR15 a weapon, it is best that we temper one's criticism. Most important to me is not what one calls his thing, but does he operate it safely.
    I'm sure you'll understand, or would have met an Expert. I'm not talking about the guy that has a wealth of knowledge. I'm talking about the self-appointed egotistical type. You know, the NRA only way or the highway guy. Thus, I left a particulair sportsman club because this instructor was also the president.
    Sorry, I am a disabled veteran with 7yrs. active duty in two branches, I will always call a firearm a weapon. I'm also disinterested in the circular NRA>LAW ENFORCEMENT>MILITARY argument.
    So, while Evil Roy called a revolver a pistol which at most was politically incorrect, we all knew what the message was.

Thanks All,
Old Overholt Rye

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
Yes, indeed .... ;D

Mind you, the point many of the rest of us were trying to make is that Evil Roy was not wrong - i.e. a revolver is a pistol, both historically and also currently virtually everywhere in the modern world except, for some reason, in the minds of many denizens of the United States ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Yes, indeed .... ;D

Mind you, the point many of the rest of us were trying to make is that Evil Roy was not wrong - i.e. a revolver is a pistol, both historically and also currently virtually everywhere in the modern world except, for some reason, in the minds of many denizens of the United States ....

Oh great, as if this pistol /revlover thing weren't enough, now we gotta figguer the difference 'tween a denizen an a citizen ;D ::)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
A pistol can be a revolver or semi-automatic or single shot.  A revolver has a rotating cylinder.  I try to use revolver because it is specific to the hand guns that we use in CAS.  I also have a couple of semi- auto hand guns which I usually call pistols.  I like clarity in my words, written or spoken.  But it's just me being picky about what I use.  Y'all can call them whatever ya want and it's OK with me.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
    Hello, I'm new here at CAS City. I would like to share feelings that are evoked by reading this  thread. In fairness to Fairshake, he did state his respect for Evil Roy. However, I think the gist is we should use proper terminology.
    Wether someone is known as a Pistolero for shooting his revolver well, or I call my AR15 a weapon, it is best that we temper one's criticism. Most important to me is not what one calls his thing, but does he operate it safely.
    I'm sure you'll understand, or would have met an Expert. I'm not talking about the guy that has a wealth of knowledge. I'm talking about the self-appointed egotistical type. You know, the NRA only way or the highway guy. Thus, I left a particulair sportsman club because this instructor was also the president.
    Sorry, I am a disabled veteran with 7yrs. active duty in two branches, I will always call a firearm a weapon. I'm also disinterested in the circular NRA>LAW ENFORCEMENT>MILITARY argument.
    So, while Evil Roy called a revolver a pistol which at most was politically incorrect, we all knew what the message was.

Thanks All,
Old Overholt Rye

"Most important to me is not what one calls his thing, but does he operate it safely."

OK NOW your getting personal  ;D   
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »
I'd say the train certainly jumped the tracks with that one. :-\

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
    Oh great, as if this pistol /revlover thing weren't enough, now we gotta figguer the difference 'tween a denizen an a citizen ;D ::)

Well, for starters, one can be a denizen without being a citizen, and a citizen without being a denizen .....    ???

But then one can be neither, like 'yours truly' ....   :-\

;D    ;)    ::)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Thank ya fer clearin that up. :-\

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
Tally Ho now chaps. Keep a stiff upper lip and march on!!
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2008, 04:25:52 AM »
personally, I know I'm new, but I think that if you're going to post "Evil Roy got it wrong" and then go into something as small as pistol vs revolver and then get angry at people critiquing what you say, and especially when Evil Roy helped make this sport what it is, after all I watched him on History Channel's Wild West Tech and that got me here... I think either grow a thicker skin or... stop trolling.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Fairshake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2008, 07:32:03 AM »
Now Now Mr Wille Dixon, maybe you better read all the post and slide that burr under your saddle off to the right a bit.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »
I did read all of it... I'm just blunt.  Can't help it, at least no one has ever not called me honest.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Fairshake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
Sorry to see thats what you came up with after reading all the post sir. It was meant to start a conversation among forum users and to see the different points of view and also with a bit of humor thrown in for laughs. At no time was it meant to insult or belittle anyone. I think that I said that before. So maybe you are looking at it different, I don't know but I will continue to be on this board as long as I can and hope to have many more interesting exchange of idea's with all members and that sir includes you. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
That's fine Hairshake.  I respect you for it too.  I just say what I mean as well.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
An interesting point of discussion.  While it's nothing to get a bent out of shape over, I am a literalist in most things, and tend to agree with Fairshake.  As a well-know radio talk show personality likes to say - "Words mean things".  There were no semiautos in 1847 when Sam was around, so "pistol" meant any hand-held firearm.  After semiautors were developed, more precise terminology came along and we adopted "pistol" for semiautos and "revolver" for guns with revolving cylinders.

I have been known to casually use the word "pistol" for any handgun, but do try on most occasions to use proper terminology and call my hog-legs "revolvers".

Just the view from my saddle.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com