Author Topic: Appaloosa  (Read 68393 times)

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Appaloosa
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
Well, I went and saw the movie Saturday.  I have to admit, I enjoyed it!  When I watch a movie for the first time, I'm there simply to 'enjoy' it, not critique it from an authenticity standpoint.  Usually, some of the major errors that we all complain about will jump out at you anyway, but nothing 'jumped out at me' with this one.  The next time I watch it, I will look closer at various things, but suffice it to say that I feel that they did a LOT more things RIGHT with this movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I won't go into detail at this point, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but for me, it was definitely worth watching, and watching again.... 8)
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Appaloosa
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »
Thanks for the review, Marlan.  I'm lookin' forward to seeing it.  I've liked everything I've seen that had Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen in. 

My wife said the reviews she's heard aren't all that good.  Not bad, just so-so.

I seldom listen to what the "experts" say, anyway.  They didn't like Star Wars, either!  Let's face it; Star Wars could've easily been an old cowboy movie, anyway.  Just different costumes!

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Jeff, as to the reviews by the 'experts'?  I've found that if they DON'T like the movie, it's usually a good one.. ;D

Other than that, screw em... ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:16:31 PM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Jeff, as to the reviews by the 'experts'?  I've found that if they DON'T like the movie, it's usually a good one.. ;D

Other than that, screw em... ;D

My sentiments EXACTLY!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
   Right ! if the critics don't like it, it probably means that there is a clear distinction between right and wrong and good guys use guns to right the wrongs.
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »
Trap, you are correct..:)

It's pretty much manly men doing manly things, and they ain't real apologetic about it...:)

If you want to see ultra sensitive men getting in touch with their feminine side, DON'T go see this movie, you won't like it.. ;D

I will say this:  The men in this movie tend to have 'relations' with females, without the benefit of a 'marriage certificate'...and naw, they don't apologize for that either.  Actually, they seem to be downright happy about it.  Mind you, there are no actual 'scenes', so outside of the violence, you won't have to shield the eyes of the young ones.

Actually, some of the positives of the movie are that it's not full of meaningless, over the top violence, it has no nudity, and the language (with a couple of exceptions) is not that bad. 

There are a couple of things that I really liked about the movie, and when more people report in that they've watched it, we can discuss them in more detail.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »
O.T., actually a lot of critics liked it. I thought it was so so with a farmed out & hokey plot but that's just my opinion. The mere idea of a 19th century town signing off on a contract such as that is ridiculous.

I find it amazing that several of the last Westerns released show townspeople to be cowering curs unable to confront bad men when most real 19th century history speaks otherwise, e.g., Northfield, MN. This is a premise that Hollywood clings to ever since "High Noon" and continued in "High Plains Drifter" ad nauseum.

I would steer any researcher to read Roger D. McGrath's "Guns, Highwaymen and Vigilantes: Violence in the Old West" as it is probably the definitive book on this topic and chock full of primary sources.

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »
Fox Creek, you are right, and that is why I seek to be 'entertained' by Westerns, not educated by them.  As to the plots, not much originality comes about anymore...they just 're-use' old plots.  3:10 to Yuma was just a flat out remake.  Pale Rider was a great western, but watch the movie Shane, and you will see similarities.  You know what this movie reminded me of, in part?  Warlock.

I wish someone gave ME the money to do a western, anyway I wanted.....ya'll wouldn't be able to handle it... ;D

Things that get me are plots set during the 1860s..right after Civil War, with everybody and his dawg carrying an 1894 Winchester and a 4 3/4 inch Colt.  Folks going around wearing clothing that wouldn't exist for another 50 to 100 years.... >:(

I think that 'back in the day', they consistently made very good westerns (meaning good stories, and well acted), although the authenticity standards were lower (sometimes much lower) than they are now.  Sometimes with our modern westerns they still drop the ball, but they are starting to improve.  From a standpoint of quality and acting, I think the older westerns have the newer ones beat...for the most part.  However, some of the modern ones 'shine'. 

Appaloosa is one that I will definitely see again.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
A star could be made if a REALISTIC movie was made about Bass Reeves. I always thought Delroy Lindo was THE perfect actor for it but he's 55 now. Somehow I just can't see Spike Lee making this one.  ;D ;)

Offline Will Penny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
I don't go to movies for a history lesson, I go for the entertainment..this movie was a good example, by the way the movie was about the year 1882 if I remember correctly..didn't check for time period correct clothing or guns, perhaps I should have done that instead of enjoying myself..I give the movie a thumbs up..
Will Penny

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
Admit Nothing, deny everything

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »
Fox Creek, I too would like to see a REALISTIC western made about Bass Reeves.  My pick would be Samuel L. Jackson...:)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
Samuel L. Jackson has played a wide array of characters, most of which are not in the least bit similar to each other.  I too think he would be great in a western and probably not at all unwilling if the right script came along. 
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Chase

• Very Active Citizen
  • ......"it's not the critic who counts"...T.R.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
For What It's Worth.....

I just got back from seeing this movie.  I have to say that I enjoyed it.  As far as visuals are concerned, pretty authentic, no real glaring errors.  The storyline was different enough to make it not totally predictable.  The gear and guns were decent...not alot of closeups except for the "8" gauge double.  I have to be honest and say that I've never seen an eight but it might have been.  (looked more like a 10!)  The actors were decent.  I'm still digesting Ed Harris' role--he was good, but there was something about his character that I'm not sure about.   
The only complaint I had aside from the $6.50 "bargain matinee" ticket was that the movie seemed to drag in a couple of spots.  Dialog was good but maybe too much time between them.  Just enough humor but definitely not a comedy! This is a movie based on Robert Parker's writing.  Like Selleck's movies based on Parker's Jesse Stone  character, the viewer should enjoy the scenery and other eye candy between action scenes and not expect high drama throughout the movie.

Hang around for the credits.  I believe Ed Harris sings the song at the end, somewhat Johnny Cash-esk and he can sing well enough.  Will I buy the DVD when it comes out?  Yes, most certainly worth watching a few more times.  Besides, there's a long shot of Renee Zellweger bathing in a river that if I slow mo.........well never mind. 

Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

44caliberkid

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
Samuel L. Jackson is too old and too slight of build.  My pick for Bass would be Michael Clark Duncan. (The Green Mile, also played the Kingpin in Daredevil)
  Bass's family has been trying to get a movie done for years and I've heard there are several scripts around, one done by a family member himself.
  I would think it would do well, his story has everything.
  I'd also like to see a Doc Holiday movie, starting with his childhood in Georgia, dental school in Maryland, his love affair with a cousin, and covering his early adventures heading west.  There are lots of events that I'm sure most people have never heard of in his life.
   Only thing that bothers me about Apaloosa is that Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensen are uber-liberals, America-haters and out spoken anti gunners.  However, don't seem to mind shooting guns if there's a paycheck at the other end.  They have that state of mind that guns are ok in my hands, we just can't let most folks have them.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »
My pick to play Bass Reeves is Henry Simmons. (NYPD Blue's Baldwin Jones and later on Shark as Isaac Wright.)

But Michael Clark Duncan wouldn't be bad.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
Just returned from seeing "Appaloosa."

I enjoyed it and will definitely get the DVD when it comes out.  This is worth watching more than once.  Though I'm not a shotgun fan, it was a pleasure of seeing it take a prominent role in the film. 

There was a real mix of firearms - the 8 ga. shotgun, several 1866 and 1873 Winchesters, a Spencer carbine, and quite a few long-barreled Colts.  I wasn't quite able to tell, but it look like Emmet carried a conversion.  Emmet, who favored the shotgun, did use a rifle and pistol on occasion, but he didn't lug more than two guns around at a time.  They even showed folks reloading after a gunfight - which is seldom done on screen.

Clothing looked good as well.  I was wondering where they got it from (or did their costumers make it themselves)?  There were a variety of hats and coats, and the leather looked good as well.

Storyline was interesting though not riveting.  A bit of humor mixed in among the periodic gunplay (short and violent for the most part), and some intriguing characters.  I think Jeremy Irons would have done better to stear clear of trying to do an American accent, but otherwise his performance as the local badguy was pretty good. 

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »
Guess movies come to Western KY a little slower than any place else. Got to see Appaloosa tonight. I like Ed Harris. Think he does westerns well, enjoyed Riders of the Purple Sage a lot. I had not read much about Appaloosa and thought it would be a horse movie. Well I was wrong, it was a honest to goodness western. I enjoyed it and will be watching for the DVD to come out. Lots of Yellowboys in several scences. Thought all dressed well, not just the cowboys, but towns' people too. I would even go see it again. TJ  :) 
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
Joss, the Brad Pitt movie I saw was Jesse James. Has he done a Billy the Kid movies too? TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
Well, rats.  I STILL haven't seen it.  Or the other movies mentioned.

:(

Offline Taw Jackson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
The movie came out several weeks ago in Southern California in limited release. It was worth the drive into south Orange County to see it though. Less shooting than 3:10 to Yuma, but well worth it. It'll be in my DVD collection when it come out next month.

Taw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com