Author Topic: Appaloosa Review (Spoiler Alert)  (Read 15955 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Appaloosa Review (Spoiler Alert)
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:18:48 PM »
Warning: spoiler alert, so stop if you don't want to know the plot.  ;)

I saw it today and have conflicting thoughts. One thing I really hated was the fact that everyone who was shot once simply died on the spot. The one exception being the fella shot with an 8 gauge shotgun at room distance.  ;D  I thought the story line involving the woman (Mrs. French) was lousy and replete with inane and repetitive acts of infidelity, and the part where she was kidnapped for a quid pro quo trade for the bad man was ridiculous. Ed Harris & Viggo Mortensen did a good job acting, but ironically their parts I liked the best were those that involved these two simply chatting as would two buddies. The irreverant English actor, Timothy Spall, who played a townsman, simply outacted everyone in this film IMO. The point that stood out to me as the most ridiculous in the plot was where Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch negotiated a contract with three representatives of the town of Appaloosa whereas they would have complete jurisdiction a la a police state. That never happened in the Old West. Yes, there were ordinances passed in cow towns against the carrying of concealed weapons, but 19th century Americans were different from us in that they respected personal freedoms & rights far moreso than we today. The movie was filmed on location I believe and the town was excellent, however the plot was feeble as well as thin IMO. Wait for it to come out on cable.  ;)

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Appaloosa Review (Spoiler Alert)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
Went to the movie last night.  I knew the story because as soon as I heard the movie was coming, I pulled the book off the shelf and read it again.  I didn't enjoy the book as much the second time though.  The story does make some historical "jumps" as Fox Creek Kid mentions; the idea of freelance lawmen signing contracts to make their work "legal" is a bit of a stretch.

However I found that I enjoyed the movie version more!!  The overall pace of the movie is definitely not fast, thus the gunfights come abruptly and are over in seconds.  These are professional gunslingers who know their stuff; aim and hit what they aim at (for the most part).  The up-close gunfights looks quite believeable (especially compared to some other movies we all know).  The scenery and props are rich and detailed, and if you like old trains you will enjoy the steam engine scenes.

I enjoyed the writing and dialogue.  This movie is a character rather than action story.  The sparse exchanges reminded me of men I have known, whose lives are founded on quiet self confidence and reliance on very few others, those who have earned unspoken and unshakeable trust.  Ed and Viggo portrayed this well and have a dry wit that brings a good chuckle.  I have known  a couple of women like Mrs. French, fundamentally insecure with a desperate need to be protected and who do whatever it takes to gain protection. Rene Z may not have been the best actress for this part; her performance gets the job done, but not much more.  There are no weak performances and Jeremy Irons does a wonderful version of Bragg.

We get too few westerns and I felt the price of theatre admission for myself & my father-in-law was worth it.  I will definitely be buying the DVD for more liesurely viewing at home.  I am glad that this western is not taking us further down the "Assassination..." style of western and is more in the "Open range" genre.

Cheers
Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »
The overall pace of the movie is definitely not fast, thus the gunfights come abruptly and are over in seconds.  These are professional gunslingers who know their stuff; aim and hit what they aim at (for the most part).  The up-close gunfights looks quite believeable (especially compared to some other movies we all know).

Granted, it looks good, but in real life most people don't die so easily.  ;) There were no professional "gunslingers" in the Old West despite what Hollywood has presented for reality. One of the deadliest gunman, Jim Curry, was a railroad engineer. The sad part is that Ed Harris is a far Left liberal, which gave me great pause before coughing up cash.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:21:04 AM »

Offline Wild Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »
Just curious, what was the gun that Mortenson (Hitch) used in the last gunfight scene? Looked like an OT but couldn't tell for sure.

Thanks.
"If you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
- Tuco

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »
WW,   I thought it might be a conversion,  but I am not sure.  I would probably have to do some still frame views.   I saw the movie this weeked with my wife.  We both liked it but didnt love it.  I think they should have done even more to explain and expand on the relationship between Cole and Hitch and not focus so much on the Mrs. French role.  The set, props, and clothing were spot on as far as we could tell.   I agree with Fox Creek Kid that the parts with Cole and Hitch relating to each other were the most enjoyable to watch.   The gunfights were likely pretty accurate with regards to the speed and verocity and distance at which they took place.  I would probably give the movie a 3.5 to 4.0 rating on a 5.0 scale.  I do think it is worth seeing on the big screen. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline J.R. Logan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
Can anyone say remake of WARLOCK with Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, and Anthony Quinn.  The two movies sound plot whise to be the same.

Just a thought

J. R. Logan

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »
Saw this movie this afternoon. I pretty much agree with Icebox Bob and Deadeye Don's comments. I enjoyed watching it and will buy the DVD when it comes out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »
Johnny,   Are you coming to the Eastern Regionals this weekend??
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

44caliberkid

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »
   I didn't know anything about this movie, just went 'cause it was a western.  Spent most of my time eyein' the 8 gauge, because I think it was an 1882 Remington, of which I have two, a 12 and a 10 gauge.  I want to restore the 10, so I was looking at it closely for finishes, etc.  Anyone notice the but plate was missing in one scene, then it was back later?
   As far as the conversation (banter) between the two main characters, I thought the writer was trying to do a poor imitation of Woodrow and Gus.  Some of it was good though.   I sort of liked the plot point of the woman being unfaithful, or just trying to always stay with whoever was top dog.  I've known a few like that in real life.
   Overall, I enjoyed the movie and I think most western fans would like it.
   One thing bothers me and that is Ed Harris and Vigo Mortinson are both super leftist anti-gun liberals, but don't mind taking a paycheck by shooting a bunch of people.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
My wife and I saw it last night.  Overall I liked it and would give it a 7.5 on a scale of 10. 

I did notice the missing buttplate in one scene, but later saw that it was in place.  I thought it a little odd that a man like Hitch who makes his living being a tough lawman would use an obsolete 1866 Winchester (when not toting the 8 gauge) rather than the much improved 1873 model.  Also, in the scene where Virgil gets shot, he's just laying there looking dead.  But then he comes around and complains about being shot in the knee.  Seems to me that if he was shot in the knee, he'd be screaming his head off the whole time.

For the most part I liked it.  It was more of an old school type western, but with more auithentic gear than many old westerns.  Worth seeing in my book.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Rayban

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:20 PM »
It's the only movie I can remember ever seeing horse manure on the streets....I'm surprised you guys didn't find the piles to be unrealistic.....it's a movie!!! You really should loosen up some. ::)

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Viggo Mortensen is carrying an Open Top, with which he shoots Jeremy Irons at the end of the movie.  He is carrying an 1866 Yellow Boy carbine, so it makes sense that he is carrying two firearms (Open Top and '66 carbine) that use the same ammunition, .44 Henry rimfire (not in "real life" today, but historically speaking).  This is the first movie I have seen in a long time that was almost exactly like the book. 

You are correct about Ed Harris' politics, but he does own a pair of Cimarron Open Tops!  Go figure!

Jake

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
That movie was very accurate to the book, as well as any movie can be after all.  Most screenplays are only 200 or so pages, not 400-600 like most novels that are made into movies today.  Sad most people don't get that.  I loved this movie and I loved the variances within the weapons used.  I saw a Spencer Carbine, a Yellowboy, that 8 Guage! a whole tone of weapons besides the typical 73 or 92 Winchester and Peacemaker.  Too bad didn't get to see the Spencer in action, sure did look pretty though!

I gotta say it was a great movie, Virgil and Everett are now two of my favorite "reel" cowboys!
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
Read my post on NCOWS posted today.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
okay, away from Cyrille's soapbox, any good reviews on the movie or it's themes?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
Watched it again this mornin while eatin breakfast.
     I did not like Zellwigers role but have been around long enough ta know there are wimmin like her, and just as many maen that do stupid things for them instead of letting them go.  I loved the lack of background music, gave a real feel to it.  Nice guns all around, they could have had more realistic death scenes, but who needs ta see that.
     I liked it.  I'll rank it with ma breakfast as ham an eggs.  Ham an eggs being near the top of the scale an cerial being at the bottom.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
I agree,I liked the movie and the death scenes were just fine
 Death happens all kinda ways  and it can happen just like that and just that quick.
Once saw a man runnig from a fight get head shot from forty yards with a .22 .he turned a flip like a rabbit and was DRT.(dead right there)
 I enjoyed the western,its fiction,pretty good fiction at that. You don't want to see realistic death scenes,they are'nt pretty  or fun to watch.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
That dang woman, she ruins all sorts of things for them.  Look at the drama she caused.  Who cares if they did like Appaloosa, doesn't mean they had to stay around her.  There is a saying I have between me and my friends "Bro's before 'women' (except meaner and rhymes with bro LOL).

I love the story though, just the ending is kinda bad in that poor Everett and what he has to do for his friendship with Virgil.  Now that is a friend.  That and I like what he did to Bragg.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »
I watched the movie the other night. Thought it was realistic in many ways, but a tad slow - didn't really keep me on the edge of my seat. I had/have a little trouble imagining a deputy carrying around a long barreled 8ga as a primary weapon, being that it's so slow to handle and manuever, but anything is possible I guess. As others have mentioned, it was nice to have realisitic sounding gunfire for a change. I'l watch it again this week, as I'm sure this is one movie you could see 4-5 times and pick up on a lot of things previously missed. I'd rate it as an 8+ for overall entertainment and realism myself. I have the whole series of Lonesome Dove movies, from early on through the end. Definately my favorite.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm sure it is one that you pick up on new things every time.  It just seems that way to me as well.  I like some movies that move at the more realistic, slower pace.  Kinda nice and it makes the action scenes that much faster by comparison.  Now, true, if I want a roller coaster ride, I'll flip in 3:10 to Yuma any day!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com