Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 340553 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #380 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
I'm of Anglo-French descendancy, and I found nothing to be offensive to my heritage in "The Patriot".  Atrocities are committed by all in times of war, and essentially, it was a civil war between Britishers and Anglo-Americans. That is always bitter.

I also think you do a disservice to the intelligence of the average American citizen when it comes to believing what they see on the big screen and television.

Like Bugs, you claim not to be intentionally insulting or offensive, while doing a damn fine job of it! This speaks of poor empathy for others. If you don't want to be talked down to, your national honour besmirched, then accord us the same consideration.

Coming back to movies, from the american point of view, a movie might be right, but from a foreign point of view, that same movie can be offensive...I´ll give an example:

the PATRIOT.....a cool interesting movie...but a true insult to the BRITISH people and their army.[/color] If I were british I would really feel offended by a movie where the BRITISH were depicted as PSYCHO KILLERS, while americans were shown...as patriotic angels....that even made british authorities and british press protest.

American people, in general, are not aware of how much oversimplification Hollywood does of foreign peoples, societies, armies and wars.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: July 06, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »
With this statement sir "American people, in general, are not aware of how much oversimplification Hollywood does of foreign peoples, societies, armies and wars." you have made another attempt to insult the American people, yet failed.

See unlike some folks, the American people realize that Hollywood is make believe and movies are made for entertainment, they are not documentaries.

The Patriot - Directed by Roland Emmerich a German film director, screenwriter, and producer.

The Patriot of course is not a western movie, but what the heck, I love that movie.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: July 06, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
I think thist hread should be closed, so this Patriot, of what ever nation it is, can cool his head off...! AND, get is facts straight about the entertainment industry...

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #383 on: Today at 02:55:53 PM »

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: July 06, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
yes, you won. After discovering that the spanish fleet was weak, but the spanish soldier...very tough!

Obviously not as tough as you wish to believe.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: July 06, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
Obviously not as tough as you wish to believe.

Good comment...!

Bill

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
Time for the Spanish version of events to be made into a movie :

"With Nowhere To Go, Cut Off And No Retreat Possible, The Last Eight Spanish Soldiers Fixed Bayonets And Prepared To Die ...."

Now who do we put in the starring role? I nominate Pet as weapons technical adviser; well, maybe not ..... it irritates the hell out of folks when they see incorrect firearms for the era being used. Like Mauser K98's instead of '91's and '93's.

"OK for the ignorant, but not for smart viewers."

well, just check the figures, out of 1700 men in San Juan, only 8 survived, with their bayonets on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »

They won their fame in really difficult situations where they were all ways outnumbered by the enemy, like CUBA,

So true and this will always be the case if Spanish General Arsenio Linares is a good example of Spanish Generals, why did he hold 10,000 Spanish troops in reserve instead of re-enforcing San Juan Hill?   The saga goes on without answering the question, "What is your favorite Western.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
One of my favorite westerns is the Alamo. Where 120 Texans (Americans) held off thousands of Mexican military under the control of Santa Anna. They held off the Mexican army for 13 days. This helped Texas win the war and free Texans from the oppressive Mexican government.

Teddy is a hero for defeating the Spanish in a war.

The spanish have a long history of being barbaric. Look at Cortez and how the Spanish have treated those they try to oppress. Aztec, and Inca for example. Also look at how barbaric they were in the Philippines.

Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. Compared to Spain, American history is pretty clean. We've never sided with Hitler. We opposed him and all dictators. Our heroes are such because they worked to help out the good people, not the evil ones.
Rick.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
After pondering this question further I need to add...

1. "The Missing"
2. "Ride With the Devil"

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: July 07, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
One of my favorite westerns is the Alamo. Where 120 Texans (Americans) held off thousands of Mexican military under the control of Santa Anna.

Teddy is a hero for defeating the Spanish in a war.

The spanish have a long history of being barbaric. Look at Cortez and how the Spanish have treated those they try to oppress. Aztec, and Inca for example. Also look at how barbaric they were in the Philippines.

Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. Compared to Spain, American history is pretty clean. We've never sided with Hitler. We opposed him and all dictators. Our heroes are such because they worked to help out the good people, not the evil ones.

This guy is too blind to see the truth in your comments...!

Bill

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #390 on: July 07, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Hey pards, did you ever hear the saying about riding a dead hoss?  Petrinal has an answer to everything and he is just baiting us.what really got me fired up,  was his comment about Santa, not being real. I believe this is some more of his Euro crap or maybe he had an unhappy childhood.  But who really gives a damn what he thinks about the USA?

So let's get back to the subject of oaters.  One I forgot about was called I believe "Last of the Dogman".  It was set in modern times with a lost tribe of chanyenne indians.  I thought it was a good film,anyone else see it and am I right about the title?
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #391 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
Hey pards, did you ever hear the saying about riding a dead hoss?  Petrinal has an answer to everything and he is just baiting us.what really got me fired up,  was his comment about Santa, not being real. I believe this is some more of his Euro crap or maybe he had an unhappy childhood.  But who really gives a damn what he thinks about the USA?

So let's get back to the subject of oaters.  One I forgot about was called I believe "Last of the Dogman".  It was set in modern times with a lost tribe of chanyenne indians.  I thought it was a good film,anyone else see it and am I right about the title?

How do you say to hell with that damned troll in Spanish?

I saw that movie, and I liked it.

Bill

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: July 07, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
I threw your words back at you so see how you like being referred to as "ignorant".  Don't like it? Then don't use it in reference to other people. It's  called common courtesy.

As for Millious(?) not doing his research - pot-kettle-black. He was filming a major movie while you were denigrating his work in a simple email posting. That's hardly due diligence on your part.

In the move "Bite The Bullet", Gene Hackman gives a dissertation on the attack up San Juan Hill in which he says the Roughriders crawled up the hill on their bellies and when within shooting range, saw that the Spanish were using civilian hostages as screens. He said that the civilians pleaded with the Americans to advance, disregarding the risk to their own lives.

I kind of like that version ..... ;>)

So, by all means continue to trash American movies, their directors and iconic American heroes. You're on a roll and there has to be at least a couple of people that you haven't yet offended - unintentionally, of course .....

thanks so much, but as I said, it was a lapsus, man.

I had a Mauser 93 made in OVIEDO, by the way, and I know the K98 well, thanks. You never had a  lapsus?

John Millious didnt do a good job.... the bad thing about ROUGH RIDERS (the movie) is that it was not interested in facts. The director was more interested in the legend of Teddy Roosevelt.

that is bad because, even if some deny it, most people, specially in teh USA will think that in fact, TEDDY charged with his men against a courtine of spanish bullets, when, in fact, he charged...when most spanish soldiers were dead....after many bombing, and afer many many many failed attacks by the americans, who were not able to take a position, using thousands of men...defended by a handful of spanish soldiers. (300 of them repealed US attack after attack for more than a day until they were almost exterminated by heavy  bombing)

but MILLIOUS was not interested in that. He just wanted glory for TEDDY and his overexagerations, fueled by HEARTS.

I insist, I dont admire much ROOSEVELST´s heroism.....he fought in a battle of 21000 americans againts 1700 spaniards!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Shawnee, Last of the Dogmen was a really well done movie and story.  Of course for the historical police, it never happened and could never happen.  Or did it?   ;D

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
Actually I liked Ride with the Devil. Very well done. I highly recommend it.

Another movie I would like to suggest is one named The Jack Bull. It stars John Cusack and is very good.

Rick.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
I loved " Ride with Devil" the first time I seen it. I have probably watched it every year since. After watching it a couple times, I realized the Ang Lee was the director.  Amazing that this story was brought to life from a Taiwan Director.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
The fact that Spaniards fought for Hitler in the Blue Division is quite a claim to fame. I did a little surfing and was able to find out that there were several companies of Spaniards in the Waffen SS, but not enough for a full division like the Italian Fascisti.

Sieg Heil, compadre!

you, americans, make heroes out of...ANYONE? thats why, us, Europeans, have sometimes a very hard time understanding you, americans.......we just dont understand your heroes...because ours are different....they won their fame in really difficult situations where they were allways outnumbered by the enemy, like CUBA, Filipinas, or Russia, with the Blue division in Leningrad..

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Yes, I think in Ride with the Devil, he captured the era much better than most any other director.

I know a lot of people on here hate The Assasination of Jessie James by the coward Bob Ford, but I liked it. I also read that the James family has said that this movie was the only one to capture Jessie's true personality and his behavior. Check it out on the Internet Movie Database.

Rick.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »
Has anybody mentioned "Pale Rider?"

"My Name is Nobody" is okay...If you don't mind the lack of some dialogue.

"Crime Busters" isn't exactly western...but it mentions Geronimo....... ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »
I got a new one to add to my previously stated shortlist (the recent True Grit, Apaloosa, and The Proposition): Broken Trail.  Good story, a lot of good acting, and lots of good dust and style.  In my opinion, at any rate.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com