Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 340026 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Not to go so far off topic but I said I would go around the corner to the library to look it up.  I love languages and that one always seemed the most difficult to understand.  There doesn't seem to be any rules.  Not a single mule in this walk.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
Too true ...

When my father was stationed in France, we had a finnish Nanny who came to work for us, not for the money (although I suppose that was nice). Here real purpose for being there was to learn American ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
I feel shame when I look at the urban dictionary.  We let the language get wrecked.  One more reason I like westerns, no one says "yo peeps" or uses the dumb izzle suffix.  Kids are talking around me and I have no idea what they are saying.  I just shoot em some Latin or Gaelic so we are even.  ::)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #303 on: Today at 12:56:25 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
Sigh, you are so right ... and it seems like every generation developes an idiom or so to separate itself from the current generation ... in my own generation ... I have seen it go from hep cats to bitchin' dudes to peeps ... and I am scared to see where we go while I am still around .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Out here it got to be where every noun has the adjective that begins with an f.  I hear that and tell the offender that that is a verb and has no place in the sentence.  They all hate me.

Roland Deschain

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
I go a bit further and tell them that using the  "F" word for every thing just is a big red flag that shows the speaker has no vocabulary, creative ability or education ... and for that I am rebuked ... imagine!... lol.

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
Try telling them the origin of the word and see what it gets you.  Takes all the fun out of saying it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
I go a bit further and tell them that using the  "F" word for every thing just is a big red flag that shows the speaker has no vocabulary, creative ability or education ... and for that I am rebuked ... imagine!... lol.

I agree with your supposition on the education of the idiot using those words.

The "F" word is an acronym that really means fornicating under the consent of the King. This came about because serf's could not afford to have an expensive Church wedding in the middle ages. The common people were given a document by a public official, that allowed people to legally live together, under the consent of the King, in spite of the middle ages churchs' opposition to them living together without the blessing of a proper, and expensive, church ceremony.

Then there is the "S" word that came from ship high in transite. Cattle and horse manure used to be shipped by ocean going ships. These ships leaked and the manure would become wet and start giving off methan gas again. Somebody would go down into the hold with a lantern, which had an open flame, which would cause the ship to blow up. Thus, the word came from the Acronym ship high in transite, meaning above the reach of bilge water, which was stenciled on the bags holding the manure.

Therefore, these acronyms aren't real words... They really don't mean much, in the larger scheme of things, except that polite people don't use them. And, neither does the idiot that keeps braying these words about in their conversation, mean very much in the grand scheme of things either.

Once there was a foul mouthed individual that was carrying on a conversation a few feet away from my wife and I. It seemed like every other word out of this fellow's mouth was the "F" word. I very politely asked him if he would please be careful of his language, because my wife was a lady, and as that, deserved respect. As I expected, he jumped up and exploded with many curse words. An over hand right, set up by a hard left jab, caused him to subside into blissful slumber.

Bill

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
You are 100% correct SW.  The only difference I know is that it had more to do with the spread of the plague and an examination was required for all women.  Given the times, the church thing is very possible.

Roland Deschain

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
My favorite special meaning was 'son of a gun' ... don't know how many times I used that until I found out its historical meaning ....

It seems that for about a hundred year the Briish would fill the holds of thieir ship with minor criminals ... so if you owed money, were drunk and disorderly in public, or some such, you would be trudgeoned and find yourself , when you awoke, a British Seaman with seven years hard service to go through ...

So when these ships reached port, they could not very well let thse men go ashore and drink and  ....

So the officers would allow 'soiled doves' to be rowed out to the boat and 'entertain' by tying hammocks between the cannons on the belowdecks .....

And any incidental offspring of one of the unions between a impressed sailor and a 'fallen woman' was referred to as a 'Son of a Gun' ////

I'm just sayin'

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
I bet the fellow that wrote, "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" did not know that.  In the song a priest 'mans the gun' and a 'son of a gun of a gunner was he'.

Roland Deschain

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
Leo,

Probably .... I don't think that it is well known ... I got it from an obscure book on naval and sailing colloquialisms ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
You'd be surprised at how many folks don't fully understand "loose cannon".  Nothing to do with powder or shot, just a big hunk of metal smashing the hull apart in rough seas.

Roland Deschain

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »
I have crewed on an aircraft where something big and heavy broke loose during turbulence .... I can only imagine .... but actually I don't even want to imagine *S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
Think about Rustler's Rhapsody when Andy Griffith tells one of his men to throw another faggot on the fire...interesting looks all around. Any way, favorite western, Escape from Fort Bravo, Pale Rider too many to list really.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
I used to apologize for "poking" female patients when examining them. I stopped that after seeing Lonesome Dove.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Pretty much any of the Eastwood westerns over the years. However some such as Lonesome Dove, How the West was Won, Quigley Down Under and others would also be there.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »
I have crewed on an aircraft where something big and heavy broke loose during turbulence .... I can only imagine .... but actually I don't even want to imagine *S*
Kinda like being on an overloaded twin-engined helo and having a compressor stall on one engine...in the immortal words of Bill Cosby, first you say it then you do it! LOL
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
I think, when they finally find the black box, the final words of at least one crewmember will be "OHHH SHHHHH"

NCOWS #3403

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
I imagine there would be the murmur of prayer in the back ground as well.

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com