Author Topic: 1880 canteen  (Read 32012 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
Re: 1880 canteen
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
Rowdy,
from what I've heard reported from people who have used them, they eventually have problems with shrinkage and leaking from being used and then drying out in between use. Most are coated on the inside with food grade canning wax, which can eventually pick up musty flavor and should be recoated every once in awhile.

I still like their look, though, and they scream out for adding your own personal decoration. There is a shooter in our club, Annie Noah is her alias, who is an absolute artist with wood-burning. I would love to see what she could do with one of those wood canteens! Trouble is, I'd be afraid to use it. It would go on the mantle.

(At one time I was going to use one of them, or one of the miniature casks used as canteens during Colonial era (James Townshend, if I remember sells them) as a container to hold cleaning solution in to dump dirty brass into during a match. You can get large corks at gourmet shops that are for wide mouthed containers, and I was going to cut a larger hole with a circular saw bit used for mounting door hardware, then take the cork and wrap it with sandpaper for final chamfer and fit. But I never got around to it. Just as easy to throw the brass into a satchel and clean it when I was home.)

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
Hi Rowdy,

Says that it is lined with food grade plastic!  That should keep the taste similar to bottled water.  If ya can stand bottled water, [I don't like it at all!] you should be OK.  BUT, I don't have one and don't know anyone who has.  It does look nice.  The Indian Wars Army one is the correct period.  But the wood one looks great.  Your choice!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 02:44:44 AM »
I have a wooden canteen that I got from Jas. Townsend & Son several years ago. It was lined with pitch so I never noticed any wood flavor to the water. If left empty the wood of the canteen will shrink when it dries out. Before you use it again you will want to soak it to expand the wood which will make it water tight again. I'd put some water in the sink and wet the canteen. Then fill it with water and let it soak in the sink for a couple of hours.

For the amount of water it held the wood canteen was a little bulky for my liking. They are also heavier than metal canteens. I ended up going with a kidney shaped canteen for 18th century events, and a CW style canteen for WAS events. If ask to make a choice I like the kidney shaped canteen the best.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:36:42 PM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »
Rowdy, if you fill that canteen with Old Overholt a few times, it will favor the water for a while. TJ  ;D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »
Rowdy;

On page 208 of Echoes of Glory; the Arms and Equipment of the Union there is a canteen which is just about what you are looking for.  It is not cloth covered but is bigger (thicker/fatter) than the standard canteen.  [An enterprizing destert traveler could wrap it in a blanket scrap.]

I think it would be a great project for R. Hamilton.  There are lots of the other ones available.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »
Books
Is there any way you could send  me a copy of that canteen , what about that in stainless steel ?
Also the wooden canteen holds about  a quart and a half .I called them on the phone and sent them an E Mail .
I hope to have a sample to show at the Eastern Regional . Has anyone found any info on what the Texas Rangers used
or any photographs of the Rangers or Bounty Hunters or anything with canteens other than the military canteens .
I want to thank everyone for all the GREAT IDEAS and input Thanks a million .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
Howdy Pards
I have been looking for a picture of a canteen and I found it . In the Peace Makers Arms and Adventures in the American West .
On page 123 the canteen appears larger than a 1858 military .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »
Howdy
Today I talked to Ron Hamilton about the canteens . He will be building canteens and he is working on this bigger canteen . And the metal will be lighter than the wood . Will keep you updated  on his project . What about a bear skin cover ?

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 07:19:41 PM »
Howdy Pards
While at the Eastern Regional I was able to look at Texas Jacks canteen . He ordered the gourd canteen from crazy crow and it looks great he filled it with water early in the morning , at the end of the day when he poured it out it was still tasting GREAT ( great taste   less filling ?) sorry I couldn't resist .

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:23 AM »
Interestingly, I was watching an old episode of "Gunsmoke" yesterday morning, and Matt Dillon had a wool blanket covered kidney shaped canteen hanging at his saddle horn.

NOTE: I am not advocating using this a documentation for authenticity. I was just surprised to see a kidney shaped canteen on a TV Western from the 50s and 60s.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »
The Prop Houses had mounds of equipment at that time and most all of the Silver Screen oaters were filmed with the actors using period gear - unless the 'hero' needed a Buscadero rig.

Look at the bit players in the background and the Cavalry trooper's equipment.

You'll see WWI-era McClellan saddles and saddlebags, with Troopers carrying 'real' 1860 Cavalry Sabers.

The movies of the era were purely entertainment - they only started to get more authentic in recent times.

The blanket-sided canteens start showing up in supplier's catalogs in the '20's - but by that time, 'camping' was a recreational sport.

The photos I've seen that actually show the canteen either show an military one - or in the case of the ones taken during the Mexican Revolution - a gourd or wrapped bottle canteen, and all of those photos are very late in the time frame.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
If the movies are any indication, wander around the desert and you should find plenty.  The hero always wandered through the sand and threw is canteen away when it was empty.  This always prompted my dad to say "he's going to feel stupid when he finds water and has to wander back and find that"   ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
Howdy Pards
Today I got a package in the mail from Hamilton Dry Goods . I opened the box and there was the perfect canteen . it was made of tin heavy gauge , it looked like the picture of Ed Shieffelin canteen from Tombstone . This canteen was fitted with a corn cob for a stopper.  I might change it,  but I will give it a try first . It has a web carry strap about 2 inches wide . Now what is the best thing to  seal the inside with ??? Looking for a suggestion  I wonder if there is a form of food grade plastic I could seal it with  ?????

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »
Rowdy, my gourd canteen came bees wax lined. Could yours be done with bees wax? Some one out there may know and tell us how to go about doing that. TJ  ???
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
I know for a gourd canteen, you melt the wax carefully, then heat the gourd in the oven, maybe set ~200, let the gourd warm, then pour the wax in the gourd, cork it and shake and swirl (once again carefully this is hot stuff).   Pour out any excess,

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
Howdy Pards
Today I got a package in the mail from Hamilton Dry Goods . I opened the box and there was the perfect canteen . it was made of tin heavy gauge , it looked like the picture of Ed Shieffelin canteen from Tombstone . This canteen was fitted with a corn cob for a stopper.  I might change it,  but I will give it a try first . It has a web carry strap about 2 inches wide . Now what is the best thing to  seal the inside with ??? Looking for a suggestion  I wonder if there is a form of food grade plastic I could seal it with  ?????

If it's tin it shouldn't need to be lined. Wax, etc., was only a solution for sealing/lining porous material- wood, gourds and the like.

If it develops a taste or odor you can wash it out with baking soda,  fill it up with water, put one drop of bleach in and shake it up, leave overnight, pour out in the morning and rinse out completely several times with fresh water.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
For ALL tinware, drying after use is MANDATORY!!!!  With cups, bowls, plates &c., wipe dry and the place them upside down so that any water that you might have missed will drain away from the seams.  This will prevent rust and make the item last for a very long time.  For the canteen, I would recommend that you drain it and then use your wife's hair dryer to heat it to finish the drying.  You don't want to heat it so much that you melt the solder. :o ;D  Drying completely is the key to a long and useful life!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
I'm going to toss this in for folks who might not of thought of it.

I will not use any contaner for potable water that I can not sanitize afterward with bleach and water, unless I know the water was from a clorinated source.  Wells can become contaminated from time to time.  I know the state here tests there wells at state parks and such 4 times a year.  But stuff can crop up in-between. 

Even if the contamination was not heavy enough with microbes to cause you to be sick enough to notice it, they can multiply in a damp enviroment and many can go dormant after drying also.

Remember in this day and age there are very few places that you can be 100% sure that a well is not contaminated. it happens from time to time.  Also how many know when the last time the well they just got water from was tested? 

Just a thought for those who havene't thought about it. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
Just when you thought it was safe to drink!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »
TLD,

It is safe to drink!  Just not the water. ::) :D ;) :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,