Author Topic: 1880 canteen  (Read 32007 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
1880 canteen
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »
Howdy Pards
I am looking for a canteen that would be correct for the 1880's , I have a Civil War canteen but it's to small for a Hot day . I would like to have one that would hold a1/2 gallon of water .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: 1880 canteen
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:02:04 AM »
As you have discovered the CW issue canteens hold about 1Qt. and the reason was portablity.
There was a larger Hospital canteen (normally tranported by wagon) for water.
 The Signal Corps Canteen held about a gal. ( of Turpentine or other flamable liquid )

Both were made of copper, I don't think either are reproduced today but either could be, and either made for water.
see Lord's Encyclopedias for the discriptions.

There is also the early wood keg style, I think Jas Townsend carries these
http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=31
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
As a general rule, the cowboy of the era didn't carry a canteen, as is so often seen on the Silver Screen.

There was a water barrel on the wagon if he needed a drink, and there were streams and creeks that criss-crossed the region that have long since dried up that were his mainstay.

They didn't feel any pressing need to 'stay hydrated' as today's folks do.

'If' there was a canteen - the likelihood of it being ex-military would be high, since they were the cheapest thing to buy.

Cowboys often carried  a few 'airtights' in their saddlebags - chiefly canned tomatoes - to provide both drink and sustenance (that is, if he wasn't afraid of tomatoes, since many folks called them 'love apples' and thought them to be poisonous).

If you need more water - and have a way to transport it - you could use a stone jug.

Or - you could seek out a 'canteen gourd' and make your own canteen, as was done in the Southwest by the Vaqueros.
(A 'canteen gourd' is an actual type of gourd - large and sort of 'canteen-shaped', and well-suited to the task.)

They'd hollow out said gourd and let it dry, while they'd fashion a harness and strap to attach to the pommel, then fit it with a cork or whittled wooden plug, and they were in business.

Were I to do that, I'd make certain that the insides were scraped as clean as possible, re-scrape to make sure, then I'd coat the interior with beeswax.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:10:41 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
www.fortwestern.com/store/product.php?productid=409627&cat=215&page=1

These are modern plastic lined but leather-covered. Probably just what you're looking for, Rowdy.

As has been hinted, unless you're hanging them on your guncart, there's a reason Pards don't carry large capacity canteens at shoots. If you fill 'em up in expectation of a whole day's need, then they are ungodly heavy to tote around. About mid-morning you're thinking to yourself, "Now why the heck did I get such a large canteen?"
Keep your smaller CW one and just refill the sucker if needed from the water source most every range provides for keeping their people hydrated.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
For my "buffalo camp wrangler" character I am portraying next weekend I will have three canteens in camp.

1 gord canteen (alluded to by St. George)
1 Civil war cloth covered canteen
1 older (& smaller) drum style tin canteen.

However, St. George is correct, they were not generally carried unless crossing a "Jornada" or desert.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »
Rowdy, a 1/2 gal. would be about right. I've been several places that did not provide water and something like that wold be good. Last year at the Eastern Regional there was no water and it was warm for Oct. I have seen the gord canteen out in Texas and they are really good. However they don't hold much water. If water is provide, then they look good. If no water , they are not enough. Of course if water is provided, a correct cup is all you need. If you had a 1/2 gal. you could sat it by the gun racks and move it along as you go, (if no gun cart).
If you come up with one, I would like to see it. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »
Rowdy...

A small wooden barrel would do you just right! You can get them to hold about a gallon or up to five gallons of water...and if you are doing a cowboy persona the barrel would be more correct. Just hang your cup on it and post a 'keep out' sign and your ready to go!! I'm gonna start carring one in my primitive camp gear as well.

OCB....to the rescue.
... ;D
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
I mentioned Jas Townsend
Here is another http://www.ushist.com/set-dressing/barrels_boxes_crates_kegs_jugs.htm
take note of the 1/2 gal. Jugs  ;)

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
I like the stoneware jugs. I've got one of the quart size jugs. I had a 5 gallon barrel that I bought off Jas. Townsend & Sons so long ago that the price was only about $40. I eventually went to a tin bucket with a ladle. It was smaller, lighter, and I didn't have to soak it in water for a couple of days prior to using it. I did cover the top of the bucket with a piece of homespun to keep out undesireable objects.

Here is a container from 1869 that might be an option:

There was an antique 1/2 gallon Ball jar that reecently was on ebay for $9.99. I suspect that these containers could be used to store more than water.

BTW- I use one of the CW style canteens myself, but I transport the water to the shoot in a 1/2 gallon Thermos (and I'll confess that there is usually some ice in the Thermos). If I run out of water, which I've very seldom done, I'll go refill the canteen during a break in the action.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
Typing in 'gourd canteen' on your search engine will turn up a number of interesting sites dealing with canteen gourds and what you can make with them.

The smaller ones were used for carrying tobacco - the larger for other purposes.

If you don't feel like making your own gourd canteen - you can buy one already prepped for drinking from Crazy Crow.

Take a look at - www.crazycrow.com - they offer a very authentic type, fitted with a wooden spout and a cork stopper.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »
I use an empty whiskey bottle with a cork.  I use to fill it with ice tea but I thought it might give the public the wrong impression so I just put plain water in it now ::)  If it's real hot I wrap the bottle in a piece of wool blanket and wet it down.  That helps keep it cool.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »
Are ya sure Will??  Gin & Vodka & Rum are all clear liquds! ;D  You shoot too good to be drinkin alcohol!! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
He probably shoots real good after draining half a bottle of his 'who hit john'...:)  At least it worked for Lee Marvin in 'The Comancheros'.  "It's soothingness"...... ;D

As to canteens, I prefer the goard, myself, but a wood, and even a military canteen would all be appropriate. 
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
Once the gourd is sealed with bees wax, is it permanent or do you have to reapply at some point?  I am assuming you dont want to put hot water in it.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »
Or leave it empty in the sun or hot car ...
I used beewax to line tin CW canteens, or you drank rust or rusty water.
I have Rev War wood drum style I bees waxed, never have had to do again,
as long as there is water in it or it's left in a cooler place empty. 

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »
Of wood, tin, and the gourd, the gourd seemed to be the most problem free for me.  With all of them, the beeswax had to be re-applied at some point, but it's extremely easy.

For Colonial, I use a glass bottle canteen, covered with leather.  That's the easiest of all to maintain.  My Old West canteen is a gourd, but most of the time I simply have a big, period correct tin cup, and fill it up as I need to.

Since I don't use any kind of guncart, the amount of stuff I carry starts to be an issue, so I've found that simply hanging the tin cup off of my saddle bags cuts down on the amount of weight and bulk that I have to transport on foot....
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 09:46:33 PM »
Howdy Pards
I want to thank everyone for the Great input . I had thought about the gourd canteen but didn't know how they would hold up and if they would taste funny . I have a gallon canteen that I like but it's plastic with a  metal band  and blanket covered . I guess I am looking for that perfect canteen . When I had my Mustang I found that putting a canteen on a horse requires a little thought and tie it down TIGHT you don't want any flopping . Question when did the screw on lids come out on canteens ????

Offline Don101

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:10 AM »

Offline Don101

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:52 AM »
I dont know what the quality is like on the above link i posted but i do have a repro made from a guy over here in germany he hase made probably around 60 or so by now its a copy of the 1880s type mil canteen it is made from stainles steel and silver solded so it doesnt rust ive hade it for a good few years now and had no problems with it, Don

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
I dont know what the quality is like on the above link i posted but i do have a repro made from a guy over here in germany he hase made probably around 60 or so by now its a copy of the 1880s type mil canteen it is made from stainles steel and silver solded so it doesnt rust ive hade it for a good few years now and had no problems with it, Don

Guten Tag, Don!

That VRC site link you provided sure looks good ... and with VERY reasonable prices.  Makes a person wish they made more items.

Spaeter ... (Sorry - I don't have an umlaut [sp?]  on my computer.  :D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com