Author Topic: Words we used to use  (Read 76080 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: Words we used to use
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2008, 03:15:58 AM »
First time I've looked at this Topic.... Its like a trip down memory lane!

How about "Bubble Skirts", "Lake Pipes", "Shaved Trunk"?

Take a look at my 1953 Ford Victoria. Bought it in 1957 and drove it to high school my junior/senior year. Wish I still had it!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/jvsaffran/misc/53FORDLG.jpg
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »
Nice, did ya have all the goodies on the flat motor.  BTW was talkin' 'bout that at work the other day, one a the younger guys couldn't believe that them things sound very different than any other V8.  Told him one of the reasons was they only have 6 exhaust ports and the middle ones use the same one.  He looked at me like I had antlers growing out of my head. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
My Dad loved the old flatheads.  He was a self-taught mechanic. When I was in grade school in the 50's, he was the service manager at the local Ford dealer in town.  When I was in high school, he helped me build a '53 Merc flathead to put in an old 52 Ford 2-door wagon. It had Offy heads and a Edelbrock 2 carb manifold. He put an ISKY cam in it.  I painted the wagon Red/White enamel(not a very good paint job). That thing ran like a bandit.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 01:31:45 AM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
had a 53' Police model, back in the 70's Flat head, "3 on the tree" with overdrive. Like many things the family come first.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
It had a 3 speed with OD also.  I pulled a boat out to Lake Mead from the Texas Panhandle with that thing and it got about 18 or 19 mpg.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
Looks like we got a few old timers here!

My 53' was also "Three on the Tree". Wow, I have not heard that phrase in forty five years! It was just a stock flat head with glass-packs running through the lake pipes.

I bought it bone-stock in 1956 at the age of sixteen. Get this... my mother found it for me. She noticed it on a car lot and told me to look at it. It was love at first sight.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »
Senior Citizens?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »
Senior Citizens?

Naw Tex.

I drove a three on the tree just about ten years ago.  Belonged ta a guy I was workin for and had ta make a dump run.  Decided about half way that syncronizing first gear was probably the best innovation in trannys ever ::)  If that man had been there ta hear all the grinding I caused, he'd a kilt me right then an there ;D

Leo 
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2008, 07:21:22 PM »
Opps! I meant Senior Citizens.

It seems like it wasn't too long ago when I had to show my I.D. to buy beer. Now I have to show my I.D. at McDonald's to get the Senior Citizen discount on coffee.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

It seems like it wasn't too long ago when I had to show my I.D. to buy beer. Now I have to show my I.D. at McDonald's to get the Senior Citizen discount on coffee.

Hey - I look at my gray hair like this:  I EARNED every one of 'em!

Cool old car, Johnny!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »

now that's funny ... it's true

Like Jeff ..I've EARNED every one of 'em! gray hairs ...it a shame I have such a wide part though !

as to words...
Anybody remember Church Keys, Skate keys
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
  The college town of Madison Wis. favorite local hang out of the students and a scene from Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"
 was called the "Church Key" the devise to allow entry to "Barley Pop" containers ;D ;D ;D

Glad I'm too young for the discounted coffee
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:55 PM »
LR< hang in there it won't be long!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »
LR< hang in there it won't be long!

I refuse to grow up
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »

I refuse to grow up

Is that why you're still dressin' up and playin' cowboy? ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »
 Trinity, What's wrong with that?

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »
Not a thang a'tall.  Jus' makin' an observation. ;D

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
who is that...he looks familiar
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »
LR, I've been lookin' through my WANTED Posters, but haven't come up with a match.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
"Pistol packin mama"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com