Author Topic: DDs new Mk lll  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DDs new Mk lll
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
Loaded a few of these today, the three loaded rounds in the middle are the new Mklll 500 that I'm goin to try out when the weather gets decent. The one on the far left is the old Mkll design and the one on the far right is the 400 grain DD. (both the MKll version and the 400 grain version shoot really great in my Roller)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: DDs new Mk lll
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
Yer fast with the camera Cuts.  My loaded cartridges look like yours.  I'm getting 69 grains of powder and a 1/16" .460 fiber wad under the bullets and making a light crimp just above the top lube grove.  Compression is done with a compression die and the bullet can be thumb seated to just that depth.  That worked out as I intended.

Thanks to your good photo you can see that the center post is more robust on the new Mk-III design and also that the tip is a semi-spitzer design.  That way I could get the bullet mass up and keep the OAL within design limits while also keeping a high ballistic coefficient.  I like the fact that the new tip is a mite less fragile and could survive "pocket" torture better.  I'm thinking that this should make a better hunting bullet.

I'm finding that my lube/sizer just sizes the new Mk-II bullet enough that lube doesn't crawl around the bands and make a mess at .458".

Now, Algore, I could use some of that global warming so I can start running firing tests.  This winter has been well below normal around here.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com