Author Topic: Comanche Moon  (Read 23497 times)

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Comanche Moon
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 07:41:49 AM »
I think it's pretty well done for a TV mini-series...I'd rather have seen them put the same effort into production values as a jillion dollar movie but I'll take what I can get.

I agree that Zahn works pretty hard at channeling Duval's mannerisms and, while it fiirst was a bit distracting, after 4 hours I am buying in to it pretty well.  Call's character is tough and I give the actor credit...how do you play a wooden indian?

My one gripe is that, at the begginning of the Comanche raid, everyone was asleep...but the daylight out side was straight up and down (noon)...maybe it was siesta time.

Overall, I like it and will probably watch it a few times (have it DVRed) until my wife makes me erase it...
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
Have to say I have adjusted my first opinion , as you watch it  the series does develop . I looked at the 1st episode again and am going through the 2nd .  At this point I'm definitely positive , enjoy the clothing and gear and what is not to like about the story itself
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Henry4440

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 09:58:54 AM »
Knows anyone here the release date of the DVD.
I'm sure they will not show it on the german TV. >:(
So i have to wait for the DVD.

;)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:21:10 PM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
My one gripe is that, at the begginning of the Comanche raid, everyone was asleep...but the daylight out side was straight up and down (noon)...maybe it was siesta time.

I was kind of curious as to why the townfolk all tried to cross the street though a whole mess of Comanches?  And why they seemed to find it necessary to leave cover and stand out in the open to shoot?

Alll said and done, its a fair western - and given the general lack of westerns being made, it'll do.  

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
Also, I believe Scull was singing in Gaelic & not German when hanging in the cage(?).

Scull was singing in German.  Later he was singing in Italian, though it looked like it was dubbed.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
I haven't see any problems with the guns, gear, or clothing.
The best part of last night's part was when Gus punched the lady woman. She plays a very despicable part. 

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »

McMurtry tends to play fast and loose with history and historical characters in his novels, which is one reason I don't like his books.  I swore off him after Deadman's Walk.  I'll watch the movies but I won't read the books.

Scout, I to have decided to not read his books....unfortunately I didn't express that strong enough to my wife who bought "Comanche Moon" for me when it first came out. Part of the inscription she wrote was "To the most wonderful man in the world...."  ;) ;D  well I couldn't tell her a wasn't going to read it.  I did put it off until I saw it was being made into a mini series.  I must say while reading it I remember why I enjoyed "Lonesome Dove" so much and actually enjoyed it.  I just ignored as best I could his historical mis-steps.  The sad thing is that his using historically incorrect firearms doesn't add to the story.  I think he does it just to PO us history buffs. ::)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
If I remember correctly - 'Lonesome Dove' was written as a stand-alone book and the others came about as a result of it's popularity.

Sometimes, a writer has such sudden pressure to produce that fact-checking and continuity goes by the boards in favor of 'entertainment', unless said writer or editor has a strong grasp of the subject material, and there was little written about the early days of the Frontier Battalions.

At the time 'Lonesome Dove' was written - Westerns were still written as entertaiment vehicles and not as historical tomes and 'artistic license' was the way the game was played.

That's probably the case, here.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:58 AM »
In part 2 the only real big letdown IMO was the revolver fanning scene and the hokey digital effects thereafter of the cow dying. Why can't Hollywood get over this abominable love affair with the fanning of revolvers!! Also, some of the hats are modern style. The parrot scene was goofy but you have to admit, it would be hard to make a killer parrot believable.  ;)

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
I just ignored as best I could his historical mis-steps.  The sad thing is that his using historically incorrect firearms doesn't add to the story.  I think he does it just to PO us history buffs. ::)

Will Ketchum

Mostly, I don't think he either knows the difference, or worse, doesn't care!  Hollywood types usually don't care - they just think it looks "right" for the scene or character.

I've seen similar gaffs in other books - westerns, mysteries, suspense, etc.  Sometimes I just keep reading, but a few times I've tossed the book and found something more to my liking.  One of the worst was a novel about the 19th century Marine Corps but the author used WWII-era slang, ranks, strategy and tactics, etc.  It became too much BS to swallow and I gave up less than a third through it.   

At least I ain't alone in my opinion of McMurtry's books!  :)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 05:11:10 PM »
I've seen similar gaffs in other books -

When I was reading the critically acclaimed "Sacagawea" where the author (her name escapes me) supposedly did extensive research. In one of the first chapters she had a Mandan chief checking the cap on his rifle ::)  Since the Lewis & Clark expedition took place from 1804 and 1806 and the percussion cap wasn't developed until long afterwards. (In 1807 Rev. Alexander Forsyth file his patent for a "scent bottle" which deposited a few grains of fulminate into the touch hole where it was detonated by a blow from the hammer). There isn't any way that the Chief could have had a cap to check.  It didn't add to the story and he could just as well been checking his priming on his fusil. :(  When I read that I threw the book across the room.  I did finish the book but it put all her facts in to question. :(

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »

At least I ain't alone in my opinion of McMurtry's books!  :)

That's an understatement.... you are in good company. JMHO  ;)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »
McMurtry is good at character development. History, no.

Offline Llano County

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »
OK, I thought the ending was lame. It just ended. No big climax. Nothing. How disappointing. I feel like I have been through a rough night on Brokeback Mountain. Jeez.
Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
I wasn't too crazy about the ending either.  Felt like I hadn't said my farewells to the other characters yet.  But it makes me want to continue the series and revisit Lonesome Dove.

And thanks for reminding me how special it was to see Buck Taylor.  Nice touch.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
OK, I thought the ending was lame. It just ended. No big climax. Nothing. How disappointing. I feel like I have been through a rough night on Brokeback Mountain. Jeez.

That is because this was a prequel to "Lonesome Dove" and most of us know how the story progresses.

Did anyone note that the followers were down on the Henrys, which means they were empty.  In Lonesome Dove, when Gus was pinned down in the buffalo wallow you could watch his follower advance everytime he worked the action if I remember right.  I also recall that when they caught the horse thieves with Jake Spoon the Henry Gus had had it's follower about halfway.  I haven't watched it for a couple of years so I might be wrong on that.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Henry4440

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:42 AM »
On February 26th, Sony will release a 2-DVD set of Comanche Moon: The Road to Lonesome Dove - Extended Edition. :D
So, it's only 40 days i have to wait. ;D

;)

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »
I feel the same way about books...I expect the author to do it right.  Once I find a glaring error, it suspends by beleif in the story and I find it hard to go on.  Movies I am willing to give a little more "license to bumble" to because (a) the creative control is in the hands of $$$ motivated producers (for the most part) and (b) 2 hours is less time to invest.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
On February 26th, Sony will release a 2-DVD set of Comanche Moon: The Road to Lonesome Dove - Extended Edition. :D

;)

If they release it in BluRay I am there for sure.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »

;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com