Author Topic: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee  (Read 448524 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
Ya gottah pic of the whole tractor. Del.  If that’s a straight pipe stickin’ out that manifold I’ll bet she sounds right.  Ain’t heard an unmuffled one in a long time.

Muffled ‘n with the valves set right they’s as quiet as a mouse pissin’ inta a box of cotton.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #301 on: November 07, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »
The cow was probably asleep, and was used in a case of felonious Cow Tipping, by someone.
Blame the tipper, not the cow!!!!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #302 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:53 PM »
Ya gottah pic of the whole tractor. Del.  If that’s a straight pipe stickin’ out that manifold I’ll bet she sounds right.  Ain’t heard an unmuffled one in a long time.

Muffled ‘n with the valves set right they’s as quiet as a mouse pissin’ inta a box of cotton.

T'was the best I could find, conversion from the 50's, company named Funk, understand they need more HP pulling stuff sometimes.  factory engine on one of them is basiclly that egine, but only half of it.  If I was ever where I had more money than sense, I buy an 8N Ford and find an engine and run around the corner to Speedway Motors, they have repro's of the manifolds, and heads to make one sweet, even have a new Holley that looks like and replaces a 97 Stromsberg.  Probally get in less trouble with one a them than a Model a Coupe with the same engine. ;D

BTW, the later 49-53 flathead will let one of them ol' Ford toploader 4 speeds to bolt right up, have seen a few that way, might even let one a them new 5 speeds bolt right up. ;D

BTW got a friend and customer who could build the motor for me, knew DJ years ago, he drove a 50 and 51 Ford, back when I drove a 49.  Love them motors also love them souped up GMC truck sixes that were used to make Hot Rod Chevy's afore the V-8.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #303 on: Today at 11:41:01 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
had a friend back in high school, his dad had 2 stock cars,  ran what they called hobby modified,  back then, dirt tracks,  them old Chevy 6's  would scream.  one was in a 33 ford coupe body and the other a 35 chevy coupe,  his dad would let us drive them out on his alfalfa patch,  we were 15 - 16 when he had em.  it sure was fun to race a little out on the alfalfa.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
All my daddy ever used in the modifieds were flat heads.  When I was cleanin’ out I sold the manifolds ‘n heads he had stored in the rafters in the garage.  It was all Offenhauser stuff.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »
All my daddy ever used in the modifieds were flat heads.  When I was cleanin’ out I sold the manifolds ‘n heads he had stored in the rafters in the garage.  It was all Offenhauser stuff.

Last time I looked speedway had both Offy and Endlebrock stuff, plus Isky cams of all sorts and Fenton headers.  DJ told me a while back someone is making blocks again also, castings of alumminum.  Painted no one could tell on the block, might make them run cooler also, damn that old 49 had a good heater, I remember the day we hit the record -27, Dad drug me up early and we went out and started the cars, Mom's 62 Rambler started the ol' 65 pick-up of Dad's with the 352 started and my 49 started, was blowing heat before I got the thick frost off the windows.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »
when we were 16, that winter we built a little car (if you could call it that)  took a 37 chevy pickup frame, turned it upside down  attached a straight front axle and bolted the rear end solid to the frame, set the motor back to a llittle over half way and bolted in  seat on the very back end. used one of the hopped up chevy 6's with a 3 speed transmission,  it was awful, but it sure was fun,  put it in 1 gear and dump the clutch, the front end would come up about 3 feet and give ya the ride of your life,  shift to 2nd up it'd come again,  we eventually bolted in a school bus seat so we could get our girlfriends in their with us.  scare theri pants off  :o  all the girls wanted ya to ask em out to ride in it.  ;D  the pickup we used to push start it with could go about 110  the little car would just run off and leave it.

finally the district attorney of Wagoner county called our high school and told the principal that we needed to be over to his office at a certain time, he told us in no uncertain terms that if he heard of us out on that hiway in that contrapiton again, he would send the deputy after us and lock us up and throw away the key,  course we believed him,  (we was only 16) ;D

needless to say when our parents heard about that,  the car was taken apart pretty quick.    I've thought a thousand times, it a wonder we didn't all get killed

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: November 07, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »
When I was showin’ the ‘Bird I was takin’ Hemmings.  They had ads in there for anything ya could want to build a flat head from the ground up.

Some of those ole boys in the club were walkin’ encyclopedias on the things.  They loved ‘em.  The ole man did.  Used to cuss the Y-Blocks ‘n wonder why Ford thought they needed anythin’ else.  I learned to keep my mouth shut.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: November 07, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
Evenin' folks!

Happy birthday wishes out to Miz Annie.

No sweeeeeeeeetea served in my area WI that I know of. Ya have ta add yer own sweetener if ya want it that way.

It ain't good if you add the sugar after it's already cold. ::)  The hot tea has to melt the sugar so that they become one. ;D

The emphasis is on the first syllable. I don't know when that started but I assume is what during The Great War but could have been when Hitler was trying to conquer the world. 

So it's not Bear-leeen?  Schade. :(

Got called in seems "Newman" cain't work today.........didn't think he could do it. ::)  I warned them.  Need to fill up the truck, go to the county dump on the way maybe some lunch

Y'll have a good day

Did you find something good at the dump for lunch?

Mebbe tha Aliens wuz pullin it up inta tha sky when their tractor beam failed!
;D ;D ;D

Man, that's quiet.  What an image. ;D ;D

...we eventually bolted in a school bus seat so we could get our girlfriends in their with us.  scare theri pants off  :o  all the girls wanted ya to ask em out to ride in it.  ;D  ...

Uhhh huh! :D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: November 07, 2007, 06:55:41 PM »
OT, I think I got a picture of our beast we used at the farm before the 4 wheelers.  Bought a 66 Beetle for $50, cause the guy thought the rod was goin' out and was junky and not worth an engine.  My mechanic friend listened to it and said it was a cam thrust bearing and would last for quite a while for farm use, , bout 12 years in fact and the moter still run, but the floor pan was saggin' to bad to drive.  Cut the top off and welded up a cage, to keep the pan from saggin with out the top, fact is about that held it up at the end was the pipes.  took off the doors of course and the back seat.  

Used it for weed cuttin' could haul a lot of thistles in the back.  Master cylinder went out, didn't need it, had a hand brake, deck lid and hood fell off, still use the deck lid to cover the fire ring when we go to bed or leave.  Shocks rusted off, had to put plywood in the back to keep junk in.  Burned oil a lot, but heck, good way to get rid of the oil changes from other stuff.  all four fenders and the running boards fell off, mostly from late night excursions around the place with a friend named Jack Daniels or George Dickel, or some guy named, Beam, don't member his first one. ;D  Think we chased some Turkey in it a time or two.

Alsmost broke my arm one day playin' pasture polo with a hedgeball and a crooked stick.  Right after the master cylinder went out, I had to fix the bob wire fence, instint says push on the foot pedal. ;D

The last year or so we run it, the fuel pump was gone, used a two gallon lawn mower tank of some ancient beast that had died, bailing wired it to where the rear window would have been, worked fine, but the crusin' range was reduced by 1/5th. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
I had a friend who worked over to the VW place in Muskogee mid 60's to late 70's, he would buy all the cheap bugs he could get his hands on,  I know he had 40 of them out in his field at one time,  then they started building dune buggys,  he built buggys of every description and sold them,  I don't know how much he made off them VW's  but he must have made quite a profit. if ya needed a part ya knew where to go to get it. ;D

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
Boy, Del, that must have been a sight!! ;D

I love the old beetles!

Del, I found something today in Sportsmans Guide that I think you need for when you take Rowdy hunting.

Every proper cold-weather hunter needs a kennel cover. ;D

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
Why would I need a kennel cover, the heater in the cab of the pick-up works fine.   ;)  Sides that there is a furnace in the trailer house at the farm and I have plenty of blankets on my bunk. :D

well of course if 2 people wanted to go with me, I only have a standard cab, but they would have to woory about their ownselves in the back, all my dawgs have rode with me in the cab. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »
I just thought of you because of the dog. :D  He's a sweet one.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2007, 07:32:49 PM »
Clea loves to ride in the pickup, she'd like to stick her head out all the time and let her tounge flop,  all the traffic and going by animals, she see's it all and her head is always going back and forth. ;D

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: November 07, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
Wasn’t gonna say nothin’ here about this.  But, damn it, I’m proud I was a cop ‘n I’m proud of what I did when I was there.  I dearly loved Fraud/Forgery.  My work in IA was probably more important.

I was honored and happy to go back to work part time as an Employment Investigator.  In the same downtown building, across the hall from my old office. Back to work with my department. I’m retired but I’ll always be a cop. I will always be Sgt. R.C. Shipley, Norfolk Police. But the city manager decided we weren’t worth twenty an hour and didn’t fund us, just three of us, again.  In other words we were fired.

She did, however, find 98.5 K to pay a convicted felon to head up a city department to coordinate law enforcement activities. This guy has shot ‘n killed people ‘n dealt dope. Ran with one of the most notorious killers in the city’s history. Up until last week, when the news broke, he had failed to pay almost 10 grand in fines owed for twenty years.

It’s all over the news down here.  I can post the links.  It’s all on pilotonline.com

I don’t live in Norfolk, I live in the beach. Maybe I don’t have an interest anymore. But I worked for ‘em for thirty two years.  As corny as it sounds I tried to do it with integrity under a code of ethics passed on by men I respected.  Ethics I worked so hard to pass on to the kids as they did to me.  I used to tell ‘em if they did anything to dishonor that badge I’d be their worst enemy and I’d do my best to take it away from ‘em. I was pretty good at snatchin’ badges.  I hate a dirty cop.

I’m so disgusted with these people I wouldn’t go back to work for ‘em for thirty an hour, a city car, my parkin’ place ‘n my old office back.

Sorry, I just had ta get this outtah my gizzard.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: November 07, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
It's tough to see the cheaters win.  I try to lead my life the right way too, but dang it if everyone lying, cheating and stealing aren't winning the game. ::)  Oh well, I'll stick to my guns and don't plan to start. 

Good thing they had you while they did... just think of how much worse it would be today if you hadn't stood your ground.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: November 07, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »
Arcey, when you and I grew up, it meant something to stick to your word and be honest beyond question,  those days are gone by the wayside and you know as well as I do, nowdays it seems to be whatever you can get away with and so long as somebody don't find out,  do what you can to advance yourself.  It's a shame you can't count on people in general the way you used to.

Used to be when somebody was covering yer back they were there no matter what,  I wouldn't trust my back to many now.

It's just everybody for theirselves nowdays,  and the kids coming up right now,  some with no parent that even cares what they do or where they are at.  It just don't look good for the future.

reminds me of what my dad used  to tell me years ago,  you better act like somebody if you want to be anybody. :)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »
Clea loves to ride in the pickup, she'd like to stick her head out all the time and let her tounge flop,  all the traffic and going by animals, she see's it all and her head is always going back and forth. ;D

Dogs just love to stick that nose out the window.  I'll bet it's like a smorgasbord with all the different smells that they must encounter. ;D

Arcey, when you and I grew up, it meant something to stick to your word and be honest beyond question,  those days are gone by the wayside and you know as well as I do, nowdays it seems to be whatever you can get away with and so long as somebody don't find out,  do what you can to advance yourself.  It's a shame you can't count on people in general the way you used to.

Used to be when somebody was covering yer back they were there no matter what,  I wouldn't trust my back to many now.

It's just everybody for theirselves nowdays,  and the kids coming up right now,  some with no parent that even cares what they do or where they are at.  It just don't look good for the future.

reminds me of what my dad used  to tell me years ago,  you better act like somebody if you want to be anybody. :)

I often wonder about the future generations and think what will happen when (if) I get old and need to rely on them.  People of the '80s were said to be of the "Me Generation", but I think it's worse now. ::)

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
we worry about the grandkids, I guess everybody does,  you try to raise your kids with the values you have, at least pass on how you feel aobut things, but with the way things are going  your seeing everybody from politicians down to the local officials doing whatever benifits them personally.  and this has reached almost each individual.

and another thing is the way jobs are dissappearing, what are the kids of today gonna do?  who are they gonna expect to tke care of them if they can't take care of theirselves

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com