Author Topic: How would a ten second penalty for misses change the game?  (Read 24814 times)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How would a ten second penalty for misses change the game?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
No problem, Camille! 

Let me add to it just a bit.  The club I primarily shoot with hosts both SASS and W3G monthly matches on the same bays, using the same props, and using the same targets.  The same people tend to shoot both types of match.  In all cases, whether the shooter is experienced or novice, young or old, fast or slow, male or female, he or she is much more likely to shoot a clean W3G match than a clean SASS match.

Same shooters, same bays, same props, same targets.  The only real difference is that for a W3G match the "bonus" centers - either knockout or overlay - are white while the rest of the target is black.  For a SASS match the entire target is one color (usually black) and there are no bonuses.  So, the generally-accepted reason for the improvement in hits is that the shooter is focusing on a smaller white-painted "target" in the center of the larger target.  That way, even misses (on the center) are usually hits on the larger target.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
I like that.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Stressing accuracy over speed tends to lessen the need for highly modified guns and tends to encourage more historicly correct clothing. I know people who 'must' have a short stroked slicked up gun for they feel they can't compete. I have had shooters tell me that correct clothing gets in the way of thier movement or draw. When I got into CAS I was interested in shooting the guns used in the Old West as they existed then. I wanted to dress like an Old West Character. SASS has moved farther and farther from both those things. Maybe an NCOWS shoot is more what I'm looking for, maybe.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 02:15:06 PM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »
..... When I got into CAS I was interested in shooting the guns used in the Old West as they existed then. I wanted to dress like an Old West Character. SASS has moved farther and farther from both those things. Maybe an NCOWS shoot is more what I'm looking for, maybe.

You might well find it to your liking, S.F. .....

This side of the "Medicine Line" (in my particular neck of the woods, at any rate) only the really big clubs seem to be "SASSified" ... and the smaller groups (like ours here in Medicine Hat) shoot varying blends of the two main
CAs disciplines, adapted to our own circumstances.  For example, my club has only two very simplified main "firearms-based" shooter categories - One is "Old West" which requires both an external-hammer double-barreled shotgun and revolvers with non-adjustable sights, plus any appropriate pistol-caliber rifle  .... the other category is called "Wild West", in which you are placed if using any other combination of Cas-legal firearms .....

Also, we have always had a 10-second penalty for misses as well as procedurals, for a variety of reasons - , stresing accuracy over speed, ease of scoring, etc.

.... besides, it avoids debate over whether certain infractions (such as shooting out of sequence) should be "misses" or a "procedurals"    ;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
When I got into CAS I was interested in shooting the guns used in the Old West as they existed then. I wanted to dress like an Old West Character. SASS has moved farther and farther from both those things. Maybe an NCOWS shoot is more what I'm looking for, maybe.

My thoughts as well.  Though I'm not giving up on my local SASS clubs - and certainly not on W3G - I think I'm headed in the same direction.

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »
You might well find it to your liking, S.F. .....

This side of the "Medicine Line" (in my particular neck of the woods, at any rate) only the really big clubs seem to be "SASSified" ... and the smaller groups (like ours here in Medicine Hat) shoot varying blends of the two main
CAs disciplines, adapted to our own circumstances.  For example, my club has only two very simplified main "firearms-based" shooter categories - One is "Old West" which requires both an external-hammer double-barreled shotgun and revolvers with non-adjustable sights, plus any appropriate pistol-caliber rifle  .... the other category is called "Wild West", in which you are placed if using any other combination of Cas-legal firearms .....

Also, we have always had a 10-second penalty for misses as well as procedurals, for a variety of reasons - , stresing accuracy over speed, ease of scoring, etc.

.... besides, it avoids debate over whether certain infractions (such as shooting out of sequence) should be "misses" or a "procedurals"    ;D

+100 Jack

See you at the national Muster ;D ;D ;D ;D
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com