Author Topic: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.  (Read 1191251 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Singin' the Blues or any other durn thing ya want.
« Reply #2120 on: February 07, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
It's a wEST cOAST THING.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #2121 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:45 AM »
hey guys,

gotta question for you, that I figure would fit well within this topic:

I'm auditioning for a Trumpet performance major part within the NAU School of Music and I have to have:
1 technical piece
1 melodic piece
all major and minor scales

well, all in all, not too scary, but what I'm looking at is if you think doing a blues melodic piece would be a good idea or if I should go with the traditional "classical" piece designed for Trumpet.

my ideas were either Miles Davis or Louis Armstrong, probably the song "Ain't Misbehavin'" since I'm going to only join the Jazz ensemble along with the marching band.

what do you guys think?

also, the trumpet instructor is the jazz ensemble lead instructor so he appreciates jazz.  here's his website
http://www4.nau.edu/trumpet
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2122 on: February 07, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
Willie, You're speakin' in tongues now!   Just go for it!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #2123 on: Today at 08:00:21 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2123 on: February 07, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »
Plus, ya didn't answer the question at hand.  Don't try an tell me no song ever got ta yer gut.

I done answered the question before ya done asked it. ::)

The Oldies Show we listen to on Sunday had this one, their theme was Critters in Country Music, Pirates of the Mississippi from the early 90's.  Always liked it, ain't heard it in years, one mainstream forgot:

I'm standin' at the crossroads in life
And I don't know where to go
You know you've got my heart, babe
But my music's got my soul
Let me play it one more time
Tell the truth and make it right
And hope they understand me

Now I lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soulto keep
If I die before I wake, feed Jake
He's been a good dog
My best friend right through it all
If I die before i wake, feed Jake

Now Broadway's like a sewer
Bums and hookers everywhere
Winos passed out onthe sidewalk
Doesn't anybody care?
Some say "He's worthless, just let him be!
"I for one would have to disagree
And so would their Mama's

And pray the Lord my soulto keep
He's been a good dog

Now if you get an ear pierced
Some will call you gay
But if you drive a pick-up
They'll say "No, you must be straight!
"What we are and what we ain't
What we can and what we cain't
Does it really matter?

And pray the Lord my soul to keep
He's been a good dog

Also found the original video on Youtube,  you might want a hanky, the video is sad.  But it does have a Lab in it.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2124 on: February 07, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
Del, That one does it for me also.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2125 on: February 07, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »
Willie, lI know ya got blues in yer blood, but fer an audition it'd be kick a$$ if you could pull off "Carnival for Trumpet".  There's another one I can't bring ta mind right now, and any Voluntary is good fer techinical work.  The one that was used fer the theme ta Falcon Crest is impressive.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2126 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
I'm sure it will all be good!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2127 on: February 07, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
Find a copy of the Arben's book an go to the back section, there's some stuff in there that'll blow their minds.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2128 on: February 07, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
Arbens, now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. No suggestions for you, Willie, been way from from it for quite awhile now( not as much wind as I used to have). My favorite stuff was Big Band music ( String Of Pearls was a favorite, Bobby Hackett's solo was great). i was more of a ballad type player. In the middle '70's I was first chair for a Bi-Centennial group in North Canton that did four or so concerts during the year. Classical, marches, show tunes, etc...........Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2129 on: February 07, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
Arbens, now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. No suggestions for you, Willie, been way from from it for quite awhile now( not as much wind as I used to have). My favorite stuff was Big Band music ( String Of Pearls was a favorite, Bobby Hackett's solo was great). i was more of a ballad type player. In the middle '70's I was first chair for a Bi-Centennial group in North Canton that did four or so concerts during the year. Classical, marches, show tunes, etc...........Buck 8) ::)

I got ta do that Buddy Hacky solo once upon a time.  I had just got braces before we recorded it, so it coulda been better.  On In the Mood, me an the second chair guy would flip a coin on who played that solo, cause who ever lossed the toss would have ta hit that high note at the end of the song. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2130 on: February 07, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Leo, I've still got a pro-grade Yamaha back in the loading room. Probably needs the valves oiled and the slides greased, but it'd still probably do the job. picked this one up used, inside of the bell is kinda dinged up. silver plated, think it's a ML bore. A horn i'd love to have back though, is the Bach Stradavarious that I had to sell years ago. large bore, had a really rich dark tone to it. Couldn't overblow it if i tried............Buck 8) ::)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2131 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
I had an Olds.  The Strad is what I always wanted.  The Olds was brass with silver valve cases. 
Secret I discoverd, that slide grease is just really thick bore butter.  Give it a sniff an you'll see ;)  It aint cheaper, but in a pinch...

Roland Deschain

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2132 on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
Probably better than Vaseline ::) :o

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2133 on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »

here, you'd like this then:

it's a band I used to play with back at Disneyland.

thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2134 on: February 08, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »
Willie, All I can do is offer encouragement. The only things I can play is the radio and the CD player.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: February 12, 2009, 05:44:16 AM »
Four-eyed buck, any chance of the Yamaha being for sale?  I actually like the smaller sized bores because of the rasp I can get out of them for songs like Minnie the Moocher.  And yeah, a Strad would be sweet.  When I played with that band, I used a Strad with a rose gold bell, medium - light bore with a tulip gold mouthpiece... man could she sing!  but in all honesty I think the Strad would be better in a larger bore and meant more for the classical whereas a great Conn, York or Buescher for the big band style.  They were made in that era and just sound "right" kind of like an old strat vs a new one, they just don't compete!

thanks for the vote of confidence Tex!  does anyone know how to post up song links or how to post up music in general?  If I could I'd post up links to different things that I'm working on along with youtube links to the Jazz Ensemble.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2136 on: February 12, 2009, 07:16:07 AM »
I know nothing!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: February 12, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Here's another old girl to consider, Willie. How's about a Conn 360? they were another number that was quite popular back in the day I was in High School. At one point while my old Reynolds was in for repair, I got to use a Doc Severinsen signature model horn. Can't remember who made them though. Wasn't too bad, but the Strad was my big love........Buck 8) ::)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2138 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
That Cab Calloway stuff was fun ta play.  Plunger mutes, harmon mutes, all them good ol' sounds.  My Olds was nice, could get a tone like Bunny Beranigan.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2139 on: February 12, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »
Leo, I always wanted an OLDS too!  A 1966  442!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com