Author Topic: Another Solomon Butcher photo  (Read 7162 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
Re: Another Solomon Butcher photo
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:42 PM »
Plus the front pockets on the 'rotund' cowboy's chaps have snap closures.

Always knew generous-sized cowpokes existed back then, but like the pictures of pregnant women, were harder to document. . . . . ;D ;)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 09:09:48 AM »
The one feller previously mentioned; the "rotund" guy isn't the ONLY one of extra girth - just the biggest.  The shooter in profile has a pretty thick middle and to me, NONE of them (except perhaps the one with the dark, flat hat in the middle) is whut I'd call the "Slim Jim" type.

Glad to see I may be "period correct" after all!  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
There are no 'exotic' handguns on display - no USMC Colts and Smith & Wessons - just a couple of the common ones of the era.

The 'gun wielder' has a Harrington & Richardson solid-frame, and they were known to use half-round-half-octagon barrels.

They never changed their cylinder pin catch - and you still see it on their old 'Sportsman' revolvers, as you do in this photo.

You pressed the bottom of the catch in - pulled out the cylinder pin and used it to clear the cylinder.

The one lying on the ground looks to be an Iver Johnson 'Owl Head' - the 'tall' frame gives it away - and most likely is in .38 S&W, since the frame size 'and' hammer did differ from the little .32 in the color photo.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:31:57 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com