Author Topic: Schofields in a Henry  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Duck Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Schofields in a Henry
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
I have a question that may have been addressed previously. If so just hit my nose with a rolled up newspaper and send me back under the porch. Can a Uberti Henry (military model) in .45 LC be made to cycle .45 Schofield ammunition? What gunsmithing modifications need be done? My Henry seems to cycle the Schofield round fairly well but I do experience some hesitation in the lever on one or two rounds in a full magazine. Any advice?
Thanks
Duck Creek

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Schofields in a Henry
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
Duck,

Yes, your Henry should be able to cycle Schofield cases.  But there are a couple of caveats.  Some of the old build guns won't because of the difference in the dimensions of the carrier block about 15 years ago.  The carrier block is not a problem on the "new build" guns.  Also, with Schofield cases, the gun will be length sensitive.  Nothing shorter than a 200gr RNFP.  It won't like semi wad cutters in any length.  You also need a good tight rolled crimp.  Crimping with a .45 ACP taper die is a no no.

The problem depends on "where" you feel the hesitation in the lever stroke.  It may be the case mouth catching on the breech face of the barrel (not very common unless "taper" crimped) or more likely, it is the cartridge guide at the bottom of the Breach Block (bolt) hitting the back of the case rim.  If that is the case (no pun intended) you may need to work a bit of a "ramp" onto the cartridge guide to ease full chambering.  Some guns will run Schofield cases with no "refining" of parts and some won't.  Don't mess with the extractor hook, no matter how tempted you are.  Bad joss there.  These two situations occur on the closing stroke.
If you feel the "hic-up" as the lever opens the action, take a peek down the mortice the Carrier Block rides in.  WITH A DUMMY round, watch the carrier bring up the round.  The case rim MUST NOT HIT the front of the cartridge guide as it rises.  If the rim hits the cartridge guide, you have a timing problem to fix.

Coffinmaker

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »
Duck Creek if they don't feed and you don't feel as if you can make the alteration yourself you might contact Vaughn Trueman.

I posted this on another thread.  "Vaughn Trueman of The Bullet Hole Gunshop modified both my Henry (44-40) and my 66 (44 spl.) to feed 44 Russians without replacing anything.  As he put it he just modified "the angle of the dangle".   Heck I'm no gunsmith so I don't know what he did but I do know that the Henry will feed 44-40s, 44 spl and 44 Russians,  interchangeably. The 66 will feed both 44 Russians and the 44 spl..  Vaughn has an ad in every issue of "The Shootist".  Give him a call at 319-233-0204 or e-mail him at thebullethole@mchsi.com"

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:04:31 PM »

Offline Duck Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
Thanks Will and Coffinmaker for the timely info. I'll be making up a dummy round with a 250 gr. bullet tonight to see if I can isolate the problem. If I can't figure it out then Mr. Trueman gets a call.

Thanks again
Duck Creek
NCOWS #813

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
One other possible problem;  the rim diameter and/or thickness.  45 S&W (Schofields) won't properly chamber in MY '66 (or Improved Henry) because of the rim difference.  ONE round will cycle fine, but locks up trying to chamber.  This CAN be rectified, 'tho.  If you must.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »
The last two 45 Colt Henries I had (one brass, one steel) would funtion perfectly with 45 schofields WITH 200 GRAIN BULLETS OR HEAVIER. The 180s were a might too short.  I used a 200 grain bullet and 28 grains FFG to duplicate the original Henry load.  Worked great.  Only caveat is that when shooting schofields, the blowback is worse/
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »
Duck Creek if they don't feed and you don't feel as if you can make the alteration yourself you might contact Vaughn Trueman.

I posted this on another thread.  "Vaughn Trueman of The Bullet Hole Gunshop modified both my Henry (44-40) and my 66 (44 spl.) to feed 44 Russians without replacing anything.  As he put it he just modified "the angle of the dangle".   Heck I'm no gunsmith so I don't know what he did but I do know that the Henry will feed 44-40s, 44 spl and 44 Russians,  interchangeably. The 66 will feed both 44 Russians and the 44 spl..  Vaughn has an ad in every issue of "The Shootist".  Give him a call at 319-233-0204 or e-mail him at thebullethole@mchsi.com"

Will Ketchum

I've heard this before,........but don't see how it's possible without rebarreling the rifle. The two calibers are very different in shape, enough that without changin' the barrel it should be blowing up the 44 Russian cases............. ??? .......The 44 Russian/44 SPL I could see but not 44 Winchester...........

My Henry will feed 45 Schofields but I know some that have had to be worked on a little so they would feed them well..........Just try it........
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
I understand you concerns.  I had the same ones when I purchased the gun used and already modified.  I assure you it does work but the Russian cases are somewhat distorted.  The original owner said he didn't get a lot of blowbye but the one time I shot the Russians with BP in it I thought the blowbye was excessive.  I only shoot 44-40s in it now but it will feed the Russians and spls.

The 66 was originally 44 spl. so it shoots the Russians just fine..

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
That's what I wondered,.........I was not Doubting you Sir,... I just couldn't see how that worked,.......Thanks.....
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com