Author Topic: When did your Henry ?  (Read 19865 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
Re: When did your Henry ?
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »
Buck

I had a Allen Arms I bought in 1980... it had a oil finish stock and was European Walnut.
It had a reddish cast and rather straight grained. It was civilian model as a Military Model was not available, I added the Barrel Staple & rear sling Swivel to use mounted in reenacting.
I also had a 66 Yellowboy SRC also oil finished in a reddish cast European Walnut (this one was a Navy Arms) and my Western action shooter at that time.
The 66 was in 38 Spcl. and the Henry was in 44/40.

I'm not sure when Uberti began finishing the stocks in the Reddish Varnish they use today.
I think it was after the early 90's Clinton Assault Arms embargo banning magazine guns that held more that 10 rounds.
The Henry was caught up in the same legislation that baned semi-auto's  >:(
It took almost 4 years to get the Henry exempted....

I posted this after 40Rod , so to qualify a bit
 ... the oil finish reddish cast was evident in my early guns was only a tint in that direction ... not the warm brown of Black Walnut
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 07:23:46 PM »
My Henry too, has rather straight grain in the stock.  Out of the box, the wood was rather dark compaired to the finish I see today.  What I did  was make it look like an original in the 18XX serial range.  I'm not too familiar with the color of finish on the newer Italian guns, but I am very familiar with the original colors of the wood on early Winchesters.  In most cases, the Volcanic's, Henry's and 1866 model Winchesters had dark red stain applied to the wood.   There was a production run of about 2500 Henry's that had a lighter orange stain applied but these were in the last of the production run.  The dark brown color we see today on most "old" guns is due to the stocks having years of oil rubbed into the finish.  This along with use, will darked wood considerably.   With the introduction of the 1873 model, all standard straight grain stocks and forends had the same color stain applied.  Still a bit red, but not as deep and dark as the earlier guns.  I have some original 1876 models that are 90% and better in condition and on some of these guns, the wood is a very bright color.  

Adios,
Buck

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 11:46:24 PM »
M-2, all three of my toggle link guns are Santa Fe Arms by Uberti.

Cancel that.

Something just went off in my head, and I checked.  The Henry and '66 are EMF and the '73 is Allen Arms.  For some reason I've thought of them as Santa Fe Arms for all this time and never checked before.  Got it all written down with photos, etc, but never questioned what I "knew".

Now ain't that a pisser?  I've been wrong for over 20 years and never got caught.  :o

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:54:37 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 09:43:25 AM »
My Brass Frame has the [BH] date code for 1996 aside for a one line Henry's Patent 1860 on the top flat in front of the sight and the Cal. behind the sight, no Importers marks anywhere...
I don't know who imported it ( It was purchased LNIB by my wife at my FFL) so there is no record.
The Iron Frame is an 06 from Taylor's ( I traded even for it with Andy Fulks @ Fall Creek Sutler)
It has a some what different Henry's Patent in two lines & with Taylor's Mark on the left flat below the rear sight.

I mention this because, I ordered my 1st. Henry in 1980 from Navy Arms but it was marked Allen Arms -Santa Fe NM.
Perhaps a misdirected shipment from Uberti.
A friend ordered one from Navy Arms as well and his was marked Navy Arm's both were sent to the same FFL about two weeks apart.
Friend, Steve got his first, mine followed, it is also possible Navy Arms was out of stock for my order and did some sort of trade out deal with Allen Arms.

aside from the different importers marks the two Henry's were virtually identical... slightly tinted oil finish... no gloss at all.
Some where around here I have photo's of the Henry & 66 (same oil finish )
I sold those two gun's (my first Henry & the 66) in 88-89  :-[  both are still used in CAS shooting. 

BTW
ALLEN FIREARMS  located in Santa Fe, NM imported A. Uberti Firearms until early in 1987. After Allen Firearms closed, Cimarron FA Mfg. Co. bought the assets and the name...

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 02:43:12 AM »
M-2, all three of my toggle link guns are Santa Fe Arms by Uberti.

Cancel that.

Something just went off in my head, and I checked.  The Henry and '66 are EMF and the '73 is Allen Arms.  For some reason I've thought of them as Santa Fe Arms for all this time and never checked before.  Got it all written down with photos, etc, but never questioned what I "knew".

Now ain't that a pisser?  I've been wrong for over 20 years and never got caught.  :o
Forty Rod....you are a Geezer. ;D

"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2007, 03:04:12 AM »
Sweet shooters these  ;D

I like the Rug.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »
It's a blanket.... from ......WALMART  ::)

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »
It's a blanket.... from ......WALMART  ::)
Ok...sorry....rug is easy to type.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com